Vegan files $5 million lawsuit against Burger King over ‘contaminated’ Impossible Burger

Camacho

Vegan files $5 million lawsuit against Burger King over ‘contaminated’ Impossible Burger

By DAVID MATTHEWS

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

NOV 18, 2019 | 10:38 PM

4CZG7HGGYVDJ7CXK77RECLMK44.JPG

Burger King is in for a grilling.

A vegan filed a lawsuit against Burger King claiming that the chain’s prep for its Impossible Whopper, which uses a plant-based Impossible Burger patty but is cooked on the same grill as meat, contaminates the vegan burger.

The lawsuit, filed by Phillip Williams in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, aims to become a class-action.

According to the suit, Williams ordered the Impossible Whopper at an Atlanta location. He was shocked to find the vegan patty was grilled on the same surface as beef burgers, leading to a “meat-free patty that is in fact covered in meat byproduct,” the suit alleges.

No vegan would order the menu item if they knew how it was prepared, the lawsuit states.

Williams claims that Burger King’s deception is a violation of Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act as well as breach of contract and unjust enrichment statutes.

Burger King advertises the Impossible Whopper as “100% Whopper, 0% Beef.” On the company’s website, small font reads “For guests looking for a meat-free option, a non-broiler method of preparation is available upon request.”

Impossible Foods, which created the Impossible Burger patty, said the item was aimed at meat-eaters who were looking to consume less animal protein, not vegetarians and vegans.

The suit is seeking damages and for Burger King to “plainly disclose” Impossible Whoppers are prepared on grills that also prep meat.

The Impossible Whopper launched in August 2019.

What a joke asking for  $ 5 million dollars.  The whole suing for millions culture is disgusting. This "burger" is aimed at getting people off meat and trying alternative vegetarian products - which is important and a step in the right direction - and surely vegans should know better than to go to a "burger places"  as so much meat is cooked there. Plus there is information talking of cooking it differently on request.   Actions like this are so counter productive to their cause.  

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

What a joke asking for  $ 5 million dollars.  The whole suing for millions culture is disgusting. This "burger" is aimed at getting people off meat and trying alternative vegetarian products - which is important and a step in the right direction - and surely vegans should know better than to go to a "burger places"  as so much meat is cooked there. Plus there is information talking of cooking it differently on request.   Actions like this are so counter productive to their cause.  

It is ridiculous. If I was vegan I think I would have a hard time going into a Burger King since there’s always a very strong scent of a lot of cooking meat assaulting your senses when you walk in! And the kitchen is usually right there and fully visible by the checkout so you’ll be seeing meat burgers getting flipped and cooked while you wait! :wacko:

19 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

It is ridiculous. If I was vegan I think I would have a hard time going into a Burger King since there’s always a very strong scent of a lot of cooking meat assaulting your senses when you walk in! And the kitchen is usually right there and fully visible by the checkout so you’ll be seeing meat burgers getting flipped and cooked while you wait! :wacko:

I thought the same hahaha like why go to BK in the first place if you're a vegan 😅

22 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

Yes,  it is crazy.  These million dollar lawsuits for nothing are outrageous and full of greed.  Any vegan would know not to eat at Burger king as the smell of cooking meat is very intense as you said.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2019 at 5:25 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes,  it is crazy.  These million dollar lawsuits for nothing are outrageous and full of greed.  Any vegan would know not to eat at Burger king as the smell of cooking meat is very intense as you said.  

I know you are also upset that Melbourne had named Burger King “Hungry Jacks” 

On 11/20/2019 at 4:51 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

On 11/20/2019 at 6:29 PM, I Don’t Search I Find said:

this and this

• 2 weeks later...