Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Madame X album general discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about hits anymore.

I'm glade that Madonna is dedicated to her artistry. This phase of her rich career reminds me of David Bowie's last couple of albums which is great.

Art over chasing hits.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there were enough hits performed on the RIT, IMO, so... I don't think I'd like it if she completely ignored MX just to sing "greatest hits". If you want that then you're better off listening to another artist. What can I say? you don't know anything about Madonna if you expect that from her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, side_streets said:

I don't care about hits anymore.

I'm glade that Madonna is dedicated to her artistry. This phase of her rich career reminds me of David Bowie's last couple of albums which is great.

Art over chasing hits.

 

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drowned World said:

Well, there were enough hits performed on the RIT, IMO, so... I don't think I'd like it if she completely ignored MX just to sing "greatest hits". If you want that then you're better off listening to another artist. What can I say? you don't know anything about Madonna if you expect that from her.

THIS!! 

TNKS! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, side_streets said:

I don't care about hits anymore.

I'm glade that Madonna is dedicated to her artistry. This phase of her rich career reminds me of David Bowie's last couple of albums which is great.

Art over chasing hits.

 

A great deal of her RH and MX songs would make it on a greatest hits package for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, side_streets said:

I don't care about hits anymore.

I'm glade that Madonna is dedicated to her artistry. This phase of her rich career reminds me of David Bowie's last couple of albums which is great.

Art over chasing hits.

 

This.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Drowned World said:

Well, there were enough hits performed on the RIT, IMO, so... I don't think I'd like it if she completely ignored MX just to sing "greatest hits". If you want that then you're better off listening to another artist. What can I say? you don't know anything about Madonna if you expect that from her.

This. We already had RIT which was the closest thing to a greatest hits show. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't listened to MX in almost a month. Its probably the first album of hers I stopped listening to so fast. And I really like it. I think its a great album and very artistic (like a play), with some of her best songs. I especially love Batuka, Extreme Occident and strangely enough Ciao Bella (its probably my most listened to MX song). It is strange thing really. Its like I don't want to listen to music anymore (its a phase I guess) and in the rare times I want to listen to any music, I prefer classic music.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

Wait till you see the RHT being called a GH tour. :lmao:

Yeah, i've never understood that. It's not as if NKM and Mother and Father were singles, let alone greatest hits. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sul8323 said:

The difference between us is that I do not put people famous or other wise,  in boxes.  I do not try to dictate art or insist that it speak directly to my personal needs each and every time.  There are billions of us on the planet and I respect that truth.  And I don't participate in fan blogs with the purpose of killing the energy or informing people that there heroes are fading.  I thank the powers that be each and every day that M did not stop after The Immaculate Collection.  Madonna is the mother of reinvention and always has been and my journey with her has been magical.  M has grown so much since Lucky Star, Like A Virgin and even Like a Prayer.  Personally, I am far more interested in what M has to say today than what she said in 1985... 86...89.  If I wasn't,  I would not waste my time on a "fan" blog in 2019.  It is a big world, find something that speaks to you but please don't waste your time telling others that our star is falling.

If you're so "open minded" and all, why bother lecturing a contributing member of the forum for, say, taking part on the forum? You don't put people in boxes? Aren't people allowed to share their thoughts without others reprimanding them and commanding them on what to do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elijah said:

I haven't listened to MX in almost a month. Its probably the first album of hers I stopped listening to so fast. And I really like it. I think its a great album and very artistic (like a play), with some of her best songs. I especially love Batuka, Extreme Occident and strangely enough Ciao Bella (its probably my most listened to MX song). It is strange thing really. Its like I don't want to listen to music anymore (its a phase I guess) and in the rare times I want to listen to any music, I prefer classic music.

Did you listen to Rebel Heart again since MX came out?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CzarnaWisnia said:

Did you listen to Rebel Heart again since MX came out?

I haven't, but I really love RH. So many great songs. Its more of a mix bag though and doesn't flow as good as MX.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, elijah said:

I haven't, but I really love RH. So many great songs. Its more of a mix bag though and doesn't flow as good as MX.

Even though I loved it before, listening to it again struck me in many ways. My impression was that most songs sound tight, energized and emotionally engaging, the voice is well-mixed, the melodies are great, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Even though I loved it before, listening to it again struck me in many ways. My impression was that most songs sound tight, energized and emotionally engaging, the voice is well-mixed, the melodies are great, etc.

True. RH is a very underrated album, but its among my favourites. The problem were the singles. I would never understand how and why Devil  Pray or Joan Of Arc or Rebel Heart were not released as singles. DP should have been the 1st single, its among her best songs ever, probably in top 5. Its that good. You are right. The voice is great and the melodies are superb. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Did you listen to Rebel Heart again since MX came out?

Going to answer this question too.  I listen to Rebel Heart all the time - the songs I love on it.  Love that album so much.   Same with every Madonna album in history.  Will always put on the songs I love a lot.  From the first album through to Madame X.  I always concentrate on songs I love and with Madonna there is always so much to enjoy.  Don't care if songs are singles or album tracks.  Just want to listen to what I love. 

Now that Madame X has been out for a while,  I now have a pretty good idea of what songs off it will be played consistently.  New albums I always give time to see what songs are going to make an impact completely on me into the future as well. 

Some songs I may have to be in the mood for and some that I don't love but like will always get played too.  But the songs I truly love,  get played all the time.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 2:59 AM, side_streets said:

I don't care about hits anymore.

I'm glade that Madonna is dedicated to her artistry. This phase of her rich career reminds me of David Bowie's last couple of albums which is great.

Art over chasing hits.

 

This. She’s at that Bowie/Prince stage of her career where she puts out new albums for the fans and for her artistic expression, rather than the charts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not put Madame X among my favourite albums from her but it's still a great work, very solid and full of ideas and beautilful music. Given she's almost 40 years on this business it's almost a miracle that she's still so creative and brave in her artistic choices. I still listen to it quite often!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 4:45 AM, elijah said:

I haven't listened to MX in almost a month. Its probably the first album of hers I stopped listening to so fast. And I really like it. I think its a great album and very artistic (like a play), with some of her best songs. I especially love Batuka, Extreme Occident and strangely enough Ciao Bella (its probably my most listened to MX song). It is strange thing really. Its like I don't want to listen to music anymore (its a phase I guess) and in the rare times I want to listen to any music, I prefer classic music.

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jitterbug said:

This. She’s at that Bowie/Prince stage of her career where she puts out new albums for the fans and for her artistic expression, rather than the charts. 

Yep! It's sad to close the door on that "chart domination" part of her career, although number one albums are still very likely for a while. With that said though, the possibilities of what she can do now seem limitless. As long as she keeps the passion she had for MX, I don't see why she couldn't produce some of the best work of her career these next 20 or so yrs. Will be interesting to see how her music takes shape as she grows older, the kids grow up and move away, maybe her thoughts and feelings on mortality......not to sound morbid but artists often times make some of their deepest most personal work in their later yrs. Look at Bowie!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Yep! It's sad to close the door on that "chart domination" part of her career, although number one albums are still very likely for a while. With that said though, the possibilities of what she can do now seem limitless. As long as she keeps the passion she had for MX, I don't see why she couldn't produce some of the best work of her career these next 20 or so yrs. Will be interesting to see how her music takes shape as she grows older, the kids grow up and move away, maybe her thoughts and feelings on mortality......not to sound morbid but artists often times make some of their deepest most personal work in their later yrs. Look at Bowie!!

Very true. I certainly miss her chart domination - because I want the general population to recognize her awesomeness. 

But I have to say that MX has just floored me - just so adventurous, thoughtful, purposeful and ambitious. In my Top 2 Madge albums of all time. I am also really excited to see what music she makes as she continues to age and grow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2019 at 1:22 PM, KalamazooJay said:

 Anyone who can objectively form opinions about music should be able to listen to Madame X and at the very least appreciate what she did here. It’s a true sonic experience. A journey.

I remember I compared this to Tori Amos’s Boys for Pele but I think it’s actually far more similar to Scarlets Walk. Both albums are about an alter ego who’s talking about social and political upheaval. Both are about a woman on a sonic journey during tumultuous times. Although MX is more worldly than SW, they truly share an extremely similar concept. 

I have mad respect for Madonna for releasing an album like this nearly 40 years into her career. She’s not resting on her laurels. She’s not in Vegas singing her greatest hits. She’s not releasing a covers album. She’s continuing to push the boundaries of what it means to be a pop star.

However, having Madame X on the majority of the summer still hasn’t changed my mind personally tho. I just can’t get into it the way I have with her previous albums. And that’s ok. An artist like Madonna (or Tori for that matter) can’t release albums that set my soul on fire each and every time. 

The songs from the album that I love, I REALLY LOVE: Crave, Come Alive, Medellin, God Control, IDSIF, & I Rise are some of her absolute best. 

And who knows, I may find a time in my life when MX really grabs me. Happened with American Life. Happened with Tori’s Under The Pink. That’s the beauty of these two artists. Their records are timeless and they can creep up on you when you least expect it. 

When I first listened I felt disjointed. But then I kept listening and I connected to Killers so passionately I seriously just felt myself enlightening to the experience of the album. With time you’ll get there, trust me.

with that being said for me this is a mood album. I try not to listen to it too often because it truly is an experience. and I don’t mean that in a bad way. I’m so proud to stan this woman.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What i find curious is that most of the fans seems to appreciate more the songs i find a bit sonically out of place in the album context... I Don't Search I find, Dark Ballet and even God Control. They're all beautiful tracks but i still feel like they don't fit the ethnic vibe of the record, its bond with Portugal and countries related.

I would probably have preferred if God Control was the opening track and Dark Ballet was at at the very end of the record near I Rise and IDSIF, in order to create a sorta of border to delimit the real core of the album, more latin tinged.

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...