Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Madame X album general discussion


Recommended Posts

I’ve been turning to this album lately in this time of complete and total insanity and uncertainty. It’s been a form of comfort, an album that’s been helping me channel my anger, grief, confusion, and overall mood from day to day. I guess you could say it finally ‘clicked’ with me. 

Songs like Dark Ballet, Future, Killers Who Are Partying, Come Alive, I Don’t Search I Find, Looking For Mercy, and I Rise have completely new meanings to me during this pandemic. Even Medellin. Which has a form of escapism in it that takes me away from all of this for nearly 5 glorious minutes. 

And Crave, which I loved upon first listen, made me teary eyed last night. Just thinking how this will be the first Easter ever I won’t be around my family and the sheer melancholic way she sings that song was just too much (after a few glasses of wine too of course). I didn’t think I could love this song anymore than I already do. 

This album may never rise into my top 5 faves from Madonna, but right now, it’s the album I need and in classic Madonna fashion, it’s an album that will continue to be relevant, powerful, and progressive decades from now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, KalamazooJay said:

I’ve been turing to this album lately in this time of complete and total insanity and uncertainty. It’s been a form of comfort, an album that’s been helping me channel my anger, grief, confusion, and overall mood from day to day. I guess you could say it finally ‘clicked’ with me. 

Songs like Dark Ballet, Future, Killers Who Are Partying, Come Alive, I Don’t Search I Find, Looking For Mercy, and I Rise have completely new meanings to me during this pandemic. Even Medellin. Which has a form of escapism in it that takes me away from all of this for nearly 5 glorious minutes.

ALL of this right here. Although, for me this was an album that didn't take long to "click", I feel like it resonates even MORE with me now than it did almost a year ago thanks in part to current events. Medellin is more special now because, it does indeed take me back to.....well, last spring/summer, when everything was "normal", when we could have gatherings with friends/family, go to the beach, lay in the sun. This is normally my favorite time of year thanks in part to all of those things and obviously, everything is just upside down now. To think, at this time last year we were ecstatic as a new era was about to kick off.......clueless to the fact that the era would be cut short due to a fucking worldwide pandemic. Who would've thought? Future has all of a sudden become a lot more morbid to me (perhaps I'm taking it a bit TOO literally...lol). Loved Dark Ballet from the get-go but kind of went away from it for a bit, came back to it after I saw the tour but now it resonates more than ever. Just the overall "mood" of this album is very fitting for what's going on right now. Despite it being a June release, MX never really felt like a "summer" album to me in the way something like Hard Candy did. Always has had somewhat of a "dark" undertone to it....even if it's filled with glimmers of light as well.

Agree with others too, I can officially say at this point that MX is "essential" Madonna, up there with LAP and ROL. What I mean is that, like those two albums, MX is completely and totally a glimpse into Madonna's state of mind in 2019. Sure, ALL of her albums are to some degree but those three (and AL too really...even if it's not my fave) truly represent who Madonna is and what she's about circa 2019. This will definitely be one that is more appreciated over time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly a year on, I still rank i t 3rd on my favourite M albums behind ROL & Erotica. It really is a MASTERPIECE!!:queenbitch:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

One year ago, around the time before release of Madame X,  @Mensch said once, that he has an info from someone, that another (dance) album is going to be released some very short time after Madame X... That it was ready at the same time as MX. U still think it's going to happen? Mensch always had very serious informations and this one really stuck in my mind 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 2:45 AM, rebelheart said:

Nearly a year on, I still rank i t 3rd on my favourite M albums behind ROL & Erotica. It really is a MASTERPIECE!!:queenbitch:

It is and groundbreaking

Grammy best album of the year

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jaspit said:

One year ago, around the time before release of Madame X,  @Mensch said once, that he has an info from someone, that another (dance) album is going to be released some very short time after Madame X... That it was ready at the same time as MX. U still think it's going to happen? Mensch always had very serious informations and this one really stuck in my mind 🤔

I don’t think it’s gonna happen. I would’ve heard more of it and never did again...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mensch said:

I don’t think it’s gonna happen. I would’ve heard more of it and never did again...

Thank you for the update, @Mensch! I can’t say I’m surprised ... that rumor always seems to come along with an impending album release. I remember talking about this when you first shared it — although the prospect is always exciting, we seem to always hear a variation of it — Veronica Electronica with Ray of Light, and I know I heard that rumor with COADF from someone who worked at MTV and heard that from her team when she was doing TRL or something like that. Maybe we’ve heard it to a lesser degree in the other album cycles, but there’s always that dangling dance promise that rarely comes to fruition. (Remixed and Revisited might be the only time something eventuated, but that wasn’t all that much dance, either.)

Thanks again, Mensch, for sharing with us when you can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peter said:

Thank you for the update, @Mensch! I can’t say I’m surprised ... that rumor always seems to come along with an impending album release. I remember talking about this when you first shared it — although the prospect is always exciting, we seem to always hear a variation of it — Veronica Electronica with Ray of Light, and I know I heard that rumor with COADF from someone who worked at MTV and heard that from her team when she was doing TRL or something like that. Maybe we’ve heard it to a lesser degree in the other album cycles, but there’s always that dangling dance promise that rarely comes to fruition. (Remixed and Revisited might be the only time something eventuated, but that wasn’t all that much dance, either.)

Thanks again, Mensch, for sharing with us when you can.

oh yeah yes GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, peter said:

Thank you for the update, @Mensch! I can’t say I’m surprised ... that rumor always seems to come along with an impending album release. I remember talking about this when you first shared it — although the prospect is always exciting, we seem to always hear a variation of it — Veronica Electronica with Ray of Light, and I know I heard that rumor with COADF from someone who worked at MTV and heard that from her team when she was doing TRL or something like that. Maybe we’ve heard it to a lesser degree in the other album cycles, but there’s always that dangling dance promise that rarely comes to fruition. (Remixed and Revisited might be the only time something eventuated, but that wasn’t all that much dance, either.)

Thanks again, Mensch, for sharing with us when you can.

Its all probably made up shit to generate extra publicity and excitement

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mensch said:

I don’t think it’s gonna happen. I would’ve heard more of it and never did again...

Thank u for ur response!

Link to post
Share on other sites

With its themes of upheaval, dark days and mortal peril, this album has become even more relevant to the times we find ourselves in.

Part of me wonders if the psychically in tune / empaths of the world could feel the weight of a breaking point approaching during 2019. Wonder if M felt that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the best album of the last 26 years

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

I have come to realize that everything I like about Madonna can be found in this one album. 

Same here.

I found the same to be true with Rebel Heart, but that album plays like a nice mix tape for me. Madame X has the added bonus of being a thematic album that seems anchored to its sequencing, and thus amongst my all time favorites.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracks 1-6 have hit me like a ton of bricks, its like she was warning us.

Dark Ballet just got way darker for me. The "they are so naive.." part!😵

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 11:53 AM, Kurt420 said:

Agree with others too, I can officially say at this point that MX is "essential" Madonna, up there with LAP and ROL. What I mean is that, like those two albums, MX is completely and totally a glimpse into Madonna's state of mind in 2019. Sure, ALL of her albums are to some degree but those three (and AL too really...even if it's not my fave) truly represent who Madonna is and what she's about circa 2019. This will definitely be one that is more appreciated over time.

Yes!! Finally someone said this. Albums such as Ray of Light, American Life and now Madame X have this unique energy about them that straight up tells us, this is her! This is the woman behind the alter ego called Madonna. This is the voice beyond Vogues and Hollidays. In all three of these albums she tells her alter ego to take a seat and she wears her heart on the sleeve. And it’s crucial we as fans recognize and respect that. And while she has done glimpses of this in all of her albums, everybody knows that these particular albums carry that specific  Madonna energy that’s uniq to who she is as her own person, outside of fame and stardom. 

Edited by Katypatra
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Andgon144 said:

Tracks 1-6 have hit me like a ton of bricks, its like she was warning us.

Dark Ballet just got way darker for me. The "they are so naive.." part!😵

 

Yes, suddenly Madame X is hella prophetic! It flipped everything upside down for me when covid-19 happened. Suddenly it all made so much more sense. And her performance at Eurovision cannot be a mere coincidence. Even Kabbalah teaches there’s no such a thing as a coincidence. The word itself means two sides of one coin. Madonna knew something and still does! I’m listening to her ever so closely. There’s hope. “Everyone has a spark”. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know right now many artists play the safe game and do not have the courage to take a political stance in a time like this and criticize or call out our governments, and Madonna is doing just that with Madame X, as she did on American Life. I've heard so many say, 'stop making it about politics!' but if the decisions made by our governments affects us, then of course we need to act, to speak up! Madame X demonstrates this, and that's why it's a such a powerful record. She could have kept doing Confessions over and over again, but I've always believed that she isn't just a pop star or performer, she's also an activist and it's very much apart of her work and uses her celebrity as a platform to say what she wants; she has a message. Not everyone is prepared to hear it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, trevorhog said:

I wonder if we’ll ever get to hear any demos or outtakes from Madame X

My fucking dream! 

And madame x tour versions!

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I happened across this image last night by Helena Almeida, a Portugese artist (see some blurb below).  The first thing that came to mind was the the Madame X cover.  I don't recall it being mentioned before.  

Anyway, reference or coincidence?  I'm hoping and guessing it's a reference, it's too perfect for it not to be.

Helena Almeida (Portugal *1934)

Part of the 1978/79 trilogy "Sente-me", "Ouve-me", "V-me" (Feel me, Hear Me, See Me), "Ouve-me" shows a mouth with the work's title superimposed over the lips, making it look as if the lips were sewn together. The trilogy is unique in Helena Almeida's oeuvre in that it combines photography with video and sound, a combination she has not repeated so far.

Helena Almeida lives and works in Lisbon. A sculptor's daughter, Almeida started out as a painter, turning her canvases into three-dimensional objects. The first exhibition of her work was shown in 1967 at Galeria Buchholz in Lisbon. In her later work, she chose the performative act of painting itself as the subject of her art. Her performances are usually documented in photographs and thereby made accessible to a larger audience.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 10:39 AM, Katypatra said:

Yes, suddenly Madame X is hella prophetic! It flipped everything upside down for me when covid-19 happened. Suddenly it all made so much more sense. And her performance at Eurovision cannot be a mere coincidence. Even Kabbalah teaches there’s no such a thing as a coincidence. The word itself means two sides of one coin. Madonna knew something and still does! I’m listening to her ever so closely. There’s hope. “Everyone has a spark”. 

Shes a prophet and Nostradamus 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 9:50 PM, Drowned World said:

I know right now many artists play the safe game and do not have the courage to take a political stance in a time like this and criticize or call out our governments, and Madonna is doing just that with Madame X, as she did on American Life. I've heard so many say, 'stop making it about politics!' but if the decisions made by our governments affects us, then of course we need to act, to speak up! Madame X demonstrates this, and that's why it's a such a powerful record. She could have kept doing Confessions over and over again, but I've always believed that she isn't just a pop star or performer, she's also an activist and it's very much apart of her work and uses her celebrity as a platform to say what she wants; she has a message. Not everyone is prepared to hear it.

Its a fine balance with commercialism and art and getting your voice heard

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im falling in love with MX more and more. Ive been exercising outside like crazy for months and keep coming back to the album.. I even love Future and Medellin now! The tour made me fall in love with so many songs I barely paid attention to before..  Come Alive, Medellin, Future, IDSIF Crazy... I used to be mainly a fan of KWAP but aside from maybe half of DB and BIL, I think I love every song.. IDSIF and GC are the best ones to work out to. They're always hyping me up! I really need the tour version of I Rise!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Im falling in love with MX more and more. Ive been exercising outside like crazy for months and keep coming back to the album.. I even love Future and Medellin now! The tour made me fall in love with so many songs I barely paid attention to before..  Come Alive, Medellin, Future, IDSIF Crazy... I used to be mainly a fan of KWAP but aside from maybe half of DB and BIL, I think I love every song.. IDSIF and GC are the best ones to work out to. They're always hyping me up! I really need the tour version of I Rise!

The taste!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nikki said:

Im falling in love with MX more and more. Ive been exercising outside like crazy for months and keep coming back to the album.. I even love Future and Medellin now! The tour made me fall in love with so many songs I barely paid attention to before..  Come Alive, Medellin, Future, IDSIF Crazy... I used to be mainly a fan of KWAP but aside from maybe half of DB and BIL, I think I love every song.. IDSIF and GC are the best ones to work out to. They're always hyping me up! I really need the tour version of I Rise!

Great post Nikki ! 
Future is my favorite song, actually. 
I got tired very quickly by Medellin, but just rediscovered it, a few days ago. 
 

There’s a few gems on this album. Still think it’s not her best, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Madame X and have been listening to it almost daily, it currently has 145.1M streams on Spotify and it’s on track to hit 150M two days after Jun 14, let’s tweet  #MadameXFirstAnniversary to promote it and don’t forget to stream it on Spotify!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still on heavy rotarion. There’s something vulnerable and magical about the whole record. She truly was inspired. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...