Amazon Fire

Camacho

28 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Horrific. Enraging. Depressing.

And the only place it seems to be talked about is social media.

13 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This is devastating and should be the first story on news reports. The lungs of the earth is burning.  Horrific and frightening. 

That's strange; I thought that the Amazon fire was the first story on news everywhere. At least in Portugal it has been.

2 hours ago, Rock said:

That's strange; I thought that the Amazon fire was the first story on news everywhere. At least in Portugal it has been.

I watch/read a lot of news in the U.S. It has barely been mentioned anywhere here so far. I have to go on social media to read about it and get news links from outside the U.S.

6 hours ago, Rock said:

Has not been in Australia. Our world news on commercial channels is dreadful. 

4 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

I watch/read a lot of news in the U.S. It has barely been mentioned anywhere here so far. I have to go on social media to read about it and get news links from outside the U.S.

Same here in Australia. I am at work and mentioned the Amazon fire to 3 of my colleagues and none had seen anything about it on the news and did not know about it.  They  looked it up in their breaks online and were horrified by it. 

Amazon forest burning is not Notre Dame burning, as others have pointed out on social media. Disgustingly sad, but true. Oh and even in the UK it has been barely reported, all fixated on the nothingness of the current twat in power...

Without a planet to live on, how the fuck are those responsible for the fires, for the climate change, be expecting to carry on their filthy business under the radar? Global climate change does affect every single one of us living on this planet. I am scared too...

Omg if i read another smart ass comment saying don't listen to celebrities or celebrities know nothing...yet they are pro trump ill scream! Do these idiots not remember that trump was a tv celebrity before he became president....they contradict themselves so much. 

17 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

My God.  This sums up everything that is evil in this world with today's so called leaders.  Trump and the entire world SHOULD be helping out Brazil and the Amazon.  No matter if they get on or not.  This is a major World problem and it is horrific and frightening.  Instead Trump is talking of trade prospects.  Too many right wing heartless revolting leaders in the world with no moral compass or thought for anyone bar themselves.  Trump stands out because he is so obscene and stupid but just as many like him.  Putrid greedy  people 

Have noticed this for such a long time and it is beyond comprehension.  So many people do not care about the environment,  climate change,  mass extinctions of animals and plants and the rights of indigenous populations of the world.   In fact,  so many are completely dismissive of scientists who have worked in this field for a long time and are experts on this topic.  Instead they believe shock jocks,  a media that demonises climate scientists while having interests in coal companies and dismiss and ridicule experts in their field.  

How can people not be interested in what is happening to our planet ?  

34 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Have noticed this for such a long time and it is beyond comprehension.  So many people do not care about the environment,  climate change,  mass extinctions of animals and plants and the rights of indigenous populations of the world.   In fact,  so many are completely dismissive of scientists who have worked in this field for a long time and are experts on this topic.  Instead they believe shock jocks,  a media that demonises climate scientists while having interests in coal companies and dismiss and ridicule experts in their field.  

How can people not be interested in what is happening to our planet ?  

Dumpster you mean?

They just want to build more golf course, commercial building, extract more rare earth since China stopped supplying it during the trade war, get as much money as they could.

Just now, horn said:

Dumpster you mean?

He is just part of the problem.  I have noticed so many people just don't "believe"  in climate change.  They think it is a ploy to tax people and they get all of that from various right wing commentators from the media. The same commentators that love Trump.  It is far more prevalent than people realize. 

Just last month,  a colleague told me that "  I don't believe in Climate change"    So we started talking about it and and she make some comment about "  Why is Melbourne so cold in Winter is there is climate change"  She thought our Winters should be warm.  This from someone who has lived in Melbourne all of her life and knows full well that Melbourne has always been cold in Winter.  Why so many go to Queensland for Winter to escape the cold.    Have heard so many others talk like that too.  In so many different circumstances.  Forget ever turning on radio talk back shows too.  All full of people saying that climate change is rubbish and people are "climate alarmists"   The fact this Amazon fire is still not being talked much in the mainstream press is pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

He is just part of the problem.  I have noticed so many people just don't "believe"  in climate change.  They think it is a ploy to tax people and they get all of that from various right wing commentators from the media. The same commentators that love Trump.  It is far more prevalent than people realize. 

Just last month,  a colleague told me that "  I don't believe in Climate change"    So we started talking about it and and she make some comment about "  Why is Melbourne so cold in Winter is there is climate change"  She thought our Winters should be warm.  This from someone who has lived in Melbourne all of her life and knows full well that Melbourne has always been cold in Winter.  Why so many go to Queensland for Winter to escape the cold.    Have heard so many others talk like that too.  In so many different circumstances.  Forget ever turning on radio talk back shows too.  All full of people saying that climate change is rubbish and people are "climate alarmists"   The fact this Amazon fire is still not being talked much in the mainstream press is pathetic. 

It is so disheartening. It is a combination of greed, laziness, and selfishness all wrapped up in a package of willful ignorance. For the people that make stupid statements like 'how can it be soooo cold if there really is global warming?' wake the fuck up. Weather is not the same as climate. Your willful ignorance is killing ALL OF US

2 hours ago, swimtoshore said:

It is so disheartening. It is a combination of greed, laziness, and selfishness all wrapped up in a package of willful ignorance. For the people that make stupid statements like 'how can it be soooo cold if there really is global warming?' wake the fuck up. Weather is not the same as climate. Your willful ignorance is killing ALL OF US

I know !  Shocking to hear someone say that and stand by it as a reason to doubt climate change entirely. It is disheartening, terrifying and frustrating. People just don't want to even comprehend it.

Look too at how many people were whining like spoilt kids when told to stop using plastic bags. They can see the animals in the oceans being killed by plastic and how much is polluting the oceans shown by researchers on the nightly news reports and still some are more concerned by some inconvenience in bringing their own bags to the Supermarket. Luckily though, most are now on board.  So much willful ignorance as you said though.  Why do people not listen to climate experts and instead somewhat proudly show their ignorance and reliance instead on people like Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones. 

I am just starting to  see mentions of the Amazon fires being talked about on television shows with the urgency and horror that goes with it. Also saw where Bolsonaro is being called out completely for being the facist dangerous dictator that he is.  

5 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I know !  Shocking to hear someone say that and stand by it as a reason to doubt climate change entirely. It is disheartening, terrifying and frustrating. People just don't want to even comprehend it.

Look too at how many people were whining like spoilt kids when told to stop using plastic bags. They can see the animals in the oceans being killed by plastic and how much is polluting the oceans shown by researchers on the nightly news reports and still some are more concerned by some inconvenience in bringing their own bags to the Supermarket. Luckily though, most are now on board.  So much willful ignorance as you said though.  Why do people not listen to climate experts and instead somewhat proudly show their ignorance and reliance instead on people like Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones. 

I am just starting to  see mentions of the Amazon fires being talked about on television shows with the urgency and horror that goes with it. Also saw where Bolsonaro is being called out completely for being the facist dangerous dictator that he is.  

Bolsonaro is just like Trump, but possibly even dumber. Terrifying

Guest CzarnaWisnia

While "The World Is on Fire,' DNC Kills Resolution for Climate Forum

Party had been reminded of its platform asserting it will combat the 'global climate emergency'

Update: The Democratic National Committee voted Saturday to strike down a resolution that would have allowed for a multi-candidate climate forum.

"Tom Perez just killed the #ClimateDebate," the youth-led Sunrise Movement said on its Facebook page, referring to the DNC chair.

Resolution 4 was seen as a compromise from a resolution calling for a presidential primary climate debate, as groups including Sunrise had demanded. That resolution was voted down Thursday at the San Francisco meeting by the DNC's Resolutions Committee, prompting outrage. Sunrise claimed a "partial victory" when Resolution 4, which would have allowed for a "multi-candidate issue-specific forum with the candidates appearing on the same state, engaging one another in discussion," passed Thursday.

"We passed a resolution supporting this multi-candidate discussion and party leaders overturned it," said DNC voting member James J. Zogby in a statement Saturday. "The Democratic Party is supposed to be bottom up, not top down." [oh, naïveté...]

Progressive strategist Dante Atkins shared results of Saturday's vote on Twitter, and opined that the decision was a mistake for the party and Perez.

The vote was met with sharp criticism from a coalition of environmental and progressive organizations that led a pressure campaign on the DNC to hold a debate singularly-focused on the climate crisis.

In a joint statement, the coalition—which includes CREDO Action, Sunrise Movement, and Climate Hawks Vote—accused Perez of "undermining the DNC's own system and bypassing the will of the more than half a million grassroots activists, more than 100 DNC members in San Francisco, and most of the Democratic presidential candidates."

"There are many DNC members from across the country who believe in listening to the grassroots and engaging in a transparent, democratic process," the coalition said. "But Tom Perez made it clear today that he is not one of them."

"Our entire future is at stake, but Tom Perez just swept aside the climate crisis for someone else to solve," the joint statement continued. "That isn't leadership. That isn't normal order. That isn't what it means to be a Democrat." 

Evan Weber, Sunrise's political director, suggested it was bad political strategy.  

"The Democratic Party needs the energy and motivation of young people to win in 2020," he said. "The energy around this issue has been incredibly clear, yet Tom Perez keeps shooting the party in the foot by rejecting that energy and turning it away."

"Without hundreds of thousands of people raising their voices, we never would have gotten the town halls on and CNN and MSNBC," Weber's statement continued. "This is the kind of energy we need from young people to win in 2020."

Earlier: As activists sustain pressure on the DNC Saturday to vote on favor of a climate debate, advocacy group Progressive Democrats of America said that three presidential candidates added their names to an open letter to the committee demanding such a single-focused debate.

Welcoming the signatures from Tom Steyer, Tulsi Gabbard, and Marianne Williamson, PDA executive director Alan Minsky said, "The Democratic Party needs to show it is ready to respond to the existential climate threat by delivering the American people a televised climate debate."

Tom Weis, climate advisor to PDA, suggested that if the DNC doesn't vote in favor of a resolution to hold a climate debate—which it has the chance to do on Saturday— it would defy the party's own governing platform.

"How are Democrats going to mobilize America 'on a scale not seen since World War II' to combat the 'global climate emergency,' as the Democratic Party Platform asserts, if they won't even hold a climate emergency debate?" asked Weis. "The world is on fire and Democrats need to sound the alarm."

Sunrise's call is backed by Brianna Westbrook, vice chairwoman of the Arizona Democratic Party. "Our survival is at stake. It's time for the political and media establishment to act like it," Westbrook wrote Friday in a tweet, which pointed to a Sunrise petition to the Democratic National Committee to hold a climate debate

"Without a comprehensive plan regarding addressing the effects of climate change within the next 10 years," voter Tova Wolking of Oakland recently wrote in a letter-to-the-editor, "none of the candidates' other policy plans matter."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/24/while-world-fire-dnc-kills-resolution-climate-forum#