MadonnaNation.com Forums

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Showdown said:

Err...nobody cares about the VMAs and i would say that whether M was nominated or not. Celebrities don't even attend anymore, its all Mtv's reality stars. Plus, after last year i wouldn't want her to go anyway. The way they threw her under the bus with that speech was horrible. And let's see the performers this year cuz i can guarantee you none of them are real stars. Who's gonna be the biggest one there? Billie Eilish? Trash.

Exactly.  And I dont even know who that Billie Eilish dude is

Off to Google him...

They could have at least nominated Medellin for Best Latin Video or Best Collaboration or whatever their categories are. They invite her to the show as a presenter and do specials when a new album comes out, yet they refuse to nominate her? I don't get it.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:05 PM, Voguerista said:

It's just sad they ignore her. This country has serious ageism issues. It's just one more reason why I dislike any kind of award shows anymore. 😑😒

This 100%

It will be more so from now onwards - all major award outlets - be it the VMAs, AMAs, EMAs, Brits, Grammys, Billboard... in the world of pop, an extremely fickle minded environment where M has managed to stay in the fore front, is a feat in itself. 

Glad that I'm now more detached to the idea that whether M gets nominated in any future awards bodies and is not as agitated or angry as per Y she never gets any nominations from respective awards - If she has ever won 1 award from these awards outlets, I'm actually quite happy... the merit was recognized then and there. Time moves forward and so does M and her body of work. Casual Fans should also move with her on this avenue and really concentrate on the output of her work - which LOYAL FANS are... No doubt there will be different feelings when any nominations are announced, but you get to see the evidence of corporate branding and what's trending (as M put it) gets the most out of these so called awards bodies... 

Luckily, an artist is not defined by awards and M's consistent output of her work continues to inspire countless of fans around the world or just new friends coming on board who have made recent discoveries of her unapologetic and immaculate collection of catalogs. 

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
5 hours ago, lasky said:

It will be more so from now onwards - all major award outlets - be it the VMAs, AMAs, EMAs, Brits, Grammys, Billboard... in the world of pop, an extremely fickle minded environment where M has managed to stay in the fore front, is a feat in itself. 

Glad that I'm now more detached to the idea that whether M gets nominated in any future awards bodies and is not as agitated or angry as per Y she never gets any nominations from respective awards - If she has ever won 1 award from these awards outlets, I'm actually quite happy... the merit was recognized then and there. Time moves forward and so does M and her body of work. Casual Fans should also move with her on this avenue and really concentrate on the output of her work - which LOYAL FANS are... No doubt there will be different feelings when any nominations are announced, but you get to see the evidence of corporate branding and what's trending (as M put it) gets the most out of these so called awards bodies... 

Luckily, an artist is not defined by awards and M's consistent output of her work continues to inspire countless of fans around the world or just new friends coming on board who have made recent discoveries of her unapologetic and immaculate collection of catalogs. 

Well put! I see all this outrage on social media from fans to the point some are berating the artists that were nominated or holding boycotts!  LOL!  Why? Yes, Madonna is very deserving to being nominated, but when has any of these awards shows especially MTV shown interest in a 60 year old pop star unless it was some career achievement award?  This isn't really new. There have been plenty of musicians who moved past from being played on radio, etc., but still kept doing their thing.  Madonna is currently at this point of her career. What we see on top 40 or any popular outlet whether it's radio, music channels, etc, are usually what the music industry want to currently prop up as the "it factor" and brand.  Madonna was once there herself. She was that girl everyone wanted a piece of.  I'm not saying I like it, but it's just the way it is.

As put, Madonna isn't defined by awards.  She still makes music and inspires millions. She may not be as popular as she once was, but she still continues to defy what is put in front of her and has many hit songs that back her up as one of the most impacting artists of our time. And let's keep in mind, Madonna may not be as popular these days, but MTV is far less popular especially for playing music videos. 

Come November, I have a feeling we're going to have the same outcry when Grammy Nominations are announced.  While they don't just cater to the youth, but they do somewhat, it's usually about who is the most liked/popular.  Every so often, they pull out an older artist (usually on their death bed) to show appreciation to one last time and then send them off to big blue skies. 

Madonna has always been snubbed by awards. But then again, so have many of the greats like Elvis, the Beatles, Prince, Bowie......who cares at this point. I've said it before and will again, I hope she wins some major awards at the Grammys but does not accept them and doesn't attend. 

The MTV snub is egregious. But it doesn't take away from what truly are the best videos of the year. And none of them were nominated.

I care. I have always found it unacceptable that Madonna has not been rewarded as much as she should. Her music and talent has always been stronger than others and she should have won multiple awards over the decades.  It is a joke that Like a Prayer was not nominated for major awards for example. Just one example out of so many. Then to rub salt in the wound,  mediocre, average stars undeservedly get award after award. It is is a blight on the industry. Madonna and other greats who have been ignored deserve so much better than this corrupt bulldust. 

15 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I care. I have always found it unacceptable that Madonna has not been rewarded as much as she should. Her music and talent has always been stronger than others and she should have won multiple awards over the decades.  It is a joke that Like a Prayer was not nominated for major awards for example. Just one example out of so many. Then to rub salt in the wound,  mediocre, average stars undeservedly get award after award. It is is a blight on the industry. Madonna and other greats who have been ignored deserve so much better than this corrupt bulldust. 

That is the thing, it is so egregious it is almost funny. Like, good, she doesn't need your fucking awards. You obviously aren't nominating her out of some personal issue not from the quality. It used to bother me but now Taylor gets like 20 noms every time she releases something. It is a total joke. Laughable. Music has gone down the shitter. I will never again be disappointed by an awards show. MTV got me but they will be the last. How many Oscars has she been robbed of? The list of awards she was denied at least a nom is so long. She deserves better but she is in great company. 

This is so lame lol they get upset for not being nominated. Oh Miley 

Didn't Madonna teach us back in 2003 that being political is going to impact your airplay and nominations, these are corporate events. Miley must be doing something right

the headline in yesterday's second biggest newspaper was that MTV is racist for snubbing BTS (they got "only" 4 noms) - that said, there's some truth to it as they only get nominated and irrelevant categories but were quite big.. anyway.. the topic of ageism is unfortunately not a huge issue yet..

On 7/23/2019 at 6:06 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

:rotfl:  I know !   What a joke. 

My Goodness, that Billie Eilish garbage video for Bad Guy has been nominated for video of the year - looks like it was make by a 10 year old trying to appear edgy. 

Madonna is too good for this list. 

@Jazzy Jan  I agree.

Billie Eilish was one of those people I kept hearing about but didn't care enough to check her music or video's...until now.

I wish I hadn't bothered

Not only is her music awful, but she looks incredibly cocky and arrogant. The type of kid who who thinks she knows it all, but in reality knows sweet F.A. She reminds me of Avril Lasagne and I didn't like her either....but no doubt she'll win video of the year. Zzzzz

Anyway, Madonna is too good for these award shows so we should be thankful she hasn't been grouped in with such shite.

2 hours ago, Crux said:

@Jazzy Jan  I agree.

Billie Eilish was one of those people I kept hearing about but didn't care enough about her music or video's...until now.

I wish I hadn't bothered

Not only is her music awful, but she looks incredibly cocky and arrogant. The type of kid who who thinks she knows it all, but in reality knows sweet F.A. She reminds me of Avril Lasagne and I didn't like her either....but no doubt she'll win video of the year. Zzzzz

Anyway, Madonna is too good for these award shows so we should be thankful she hasn't been grouped in with such shite.

All true. It would be insulting if they did include Madonna in the same group as all these other nominations.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:13 PM, Samo said:

Exactly.  And I dont even know who that Billie Eilish dude is

Off to Google him...

Just heard about this person recently. Likely one of these new manufactured things who are here today and gone today.

3 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

Just heard about this person recently. Likely one of these new manufactured things who are here today and gone today.

It's actually a woman!  I thought it was a guy

I am so old and out of it.  LOL

Medellin is on par with VOGUE. Maybe nominations are based on youtube views. I haven't seen the videos which are nominated for the best video category. I'll watch one now and come back with my verdict. 

Just saw TAYLOR SWIFT'S  You need to calm down. Actually i couldn't finish it. Maybe the nominations are made by kids . I don't know.

I know we're talking about MTV here, but when I recently saw Madonna's handwritten note to the industry people who helped "Take A Bow" get to #1 on the Billboard charts, it really confirmed for me that getting these awards and chart achievements really boils down to having a team that 1) is dedicated to working on those things for the artist and 2) has solid connections in the industry that will cooperate with that team.

I feel like Madonna simply doesn't want to spend the money on this kind of stuff anymore, despite her comments to Keith Caulfield about Billboard not giving her #1 singles anymore. And I've said before, I think once she left Warner's, she lost all of those connections. After all, they were most likely Warner's connections, not really hers.

I admire her current approach of raising her own funds to pay for music videos, releasing them on her own schedule and saying "to hell" with charts and awards. I just hope she feels like continuing this model in the future, because as many people have pointed out - this trend of being ignored by the charts and by awards committees will only continue its current trajectory.

Edited by Priceless
Clarity.
21 minutes ago, Priceless said:

I know we're talking about MTV here, but when I recently saw Madonna's handwritten note to the industry people who helped "Take A Bow" get to #1 on the Billboard charts, it really confirmed for me that getting these awards and chart achievements really boils down to having a team that 1) is dedicated to working on those things for the artist and 2) has solid connections in the industry that will cooperate with that team.

I’ve never seen that — or else I’m not remembering it. Where did you see this, if you don’t mind my asking and can remember? Would be interested in reading it, too. Thanks!

I don’t disagree with most of what you wrote. I think she lost some/many connections when she and Warner parted ways. I also think she has sort of set her face in a new direction in terms of what videos she will make — not necessarily “singles” in the traditional sense, but those tracks on the album which have a visual/cinematic potential for her, or which have an important message to which she wants to lend extra weight.

I am not so sure about her “not wanting to spend the money on that” — in the past, the record company wanted their artists to succeed, and so marketing budgets were allocated in that way. Sure, like with the videos, some of that marketing money *was* Madonna’s, because that’s how advances work. She needed to shift product in order to earn back the money/investment in her work. But I don’t think it was ever a case where M was saying, “I’ll give up my video budget and scrap that fourth single video if you guys will hire more promo team members to make my second single a bigger hit.” That’s just what the label team did as a matter of course — promote their artists to radio.

23 hours ago, Samo said:

It's actually a woman!  I thought it was a guy

I am so old and out of it.  LOL

:lol:

2 hours ago, peter said:

I’ve never seen that — or else I’m not remembering it. Where did you see this, if you don’t mind my asking and can remember? Would be interested in reading it, too. Thanks!

I don’t disagree with most of what you wrote. I think she lost some/many connections when she and Warner parted ways. I also think she has sort of set her face in a new direction in terms of what videos she will make — not necessarily “singles” in the traditional sense, but those tracks on the album which have a visual/cinematic potential for her, or which have an important message to which she wants to lend extra weight.

I am not so sure about her “not wanting to spend the money on that” — in the past, the record company wanted their artists to succeed, and so marketing budgets were allocated in that way. Sure, like with the videos, some of that marketing money *was* Madonna’s, because that’s how advances work. She needed to shift product in order to earn back the money/investment in her work. But I don’t think it was ever a case where M was saying, “I’ll give up my video budget and scrap that fourth single video if you guys will hire more promo team members to make my second single a bigger hit.” That’s just what the label team did as a matter of course — promote their artists to radio.

I agree that Warner's promoted her music to radio and MTV (back in the day) so they could fatten the bottom line. But now that she's with Interscope, who knows what their arrangement is? I think we all see that Madonna is not treated like Interscope's other artists; it's entirely possible that if she's generating her own music video budget, it's not out of the realm of possibility that she and her team are also responsible for the costs of promoting her music to various industry outlets. And she simply might have looked at that line item in the budget and said "nope." I'm just speculating, as I am not an industry insider.

Btw, the note I referenced is below. I think (but I'm not positive) that "Russ and Stu" are Russ Rieger and Stu Bergen (Maverick and Warner executives, respectively.)

TAB.PNG

Edited by Priceless
Spelling.