“Batuka” music video

On 7/31/2019 at 10:55 AM, brestol1 said:

I live in the US and I guarantee you that none of MTV channels played her videos 24/7 as you mentioned in your response. Unfortunately and sadly she is no longer relevant  for this country.

Wrong. 

MTV and MTV Classic were both part of the promotional launch for Medellín, playing blocks of her videos 24/7 for several days leading up to the new video premiere.

We had a thread chronicling it, and marking which videos they did and did not show. They showed the majority.

I remember watching each day as much as I could.

Clearly you missed out.

Batuka is epic and in a better world should have blown up everywhere.  Love it and madonna made it about the people and culture and not about herself, which brought something special to the whole process.  Such a shame it only has a few million views in utube as it deserves so much more.

Batuka is too deep for most people.  It isn't a song about embracing being a fat girl, getting raunchy with a stranger, drinking heavily, or being a self aggrandizing celebrity.  Those are the types of songs that people go for today. Narcissism and fluff are what is in and Madame X is entirely too intelligent and poignant for the general public.  Batuka and the rest of the material is far too meaningful to be consumed by the general public.  It is a special record full of special songs.  Rejection in this case is the greatest aphrodisiac.  

1 minute ago, sul8323 said:

Batuka is too deep for most people.  It isn't a song about embracing being a fat girl, getting raunchy with a stranger, drinking heavily, or being a self aggrandizing celebrity.  Those are the types of songs that people go for today. Narcissism and fluff are what is in and Madame X is entirely too intelligent and poignant for the general public.  Batuka and the rest of the material is far too meaningful to be consumed by the general public.  It is a special record full of special songs.  Rejection in this case is the greatest aphrodisiac.  

This.

Why are people shallow and not deep if they don't like Batuka ?  Maybe some people just don't like the shouting of the song and lack of melody.  Wonderful that others love it.  Different views on music is always interesting and welcome.  Taste is subjective after all and thank goodness we all have different favourite songs that reach us in different ways.  Looking for mercy, Falling Free,  Drowned World and This used to be my playground are unique and different Madonna songs that reach me deeply that others probably dislike.   Nothing to do with not being meaningful or intelligent.   Different tastes and different likes - part of the joy of being a Madonna fan as so much to choose from. 

18 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Why are people shallow and not deep if they don't like Batuka ?  Maybe some people just don't like the shouting of the song and lack of melody.  Wonderful that others love it.  Different views on music is always interesting and welcome.  Taste is subjective after all and thank goodness we all have different favourite songs that reach us in different ways.  Looking for mercy, Falling Free,  Drowned World and This used to be my playground are unique and different Madonna songs that reach me deeply that others probably dislike.   Nothing to do with not being meaningful or intelligent.   Different tastes and different likes - part of the joy of being a Madonna fan as so much to choose from. 

👍👍👍👍❤️

On 8/24/2019 at 11:41 AM, sul8323 said:

Oh wow. :rotfl: talk about being condescending and patronizing. 

14 hours ago, runa said:

Oh wow. :rotfl: talk about being condescending and patronizing. 

It is called a reality check.  Have you heard what passes off as a hit these days?  And I didn't mean it as a complement.  

22 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Well said. :clap: I actually do like Batuka but I don’t see any reason to insult people who don’t.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Rock said:

What about the accordionist look? We've seen clips of it, maybe they are from a music video?

It's from the footage used from the album shoot sessions and perhaps new footage shot specifically for the BBMA hologram performance.

Batuka was like Shanti/Ashtangi on Ray of Light. It's an acquired taste. After a few months, Batuka is still in my top 5. Can't wait what she would do with it on the concert. I hope it's not an interlude.

3 minutes ago, reQuiem4adream said:

Batuka was like Shanti/Ashtangi on Ray of Light. It's an acquired taste. After a few months, Batuka is still in my top 5. Can't wait what she would do with it on the concert. I hope it's not an interlude.

It will be live with the batukeras. :wow: The highlight of the show. 

The "Batuka" music video won "Pick One" for Original Music at the Berlin Commercial 2019 awards!

https://berlincommercial.awardsengine.com/winners/2019/

"Dark Ballet" also won "Pick Two" for Hair & Makeup & "Pick Three" for Costume Design.

BERLIN COMMERCIAL BRINGS TOGETHER THE RIGHT PEOPLE AND COMPANIES FROM THE COMMERCIAL FILMMAKING INDUSTRY AND OFFERS MOVERS AND SHAKERS FROM ALL CAREER STAGES A SPACE FOR OPEN EXCHANGE TO CHAMPION THE ART & BUSINESS OF COMMERCIAL FILMMAKING

21 hours ago, Ugly Hecty said:

The "Batuka" music video won "Pick One" for Original Music at the Berlin Commercial 2019 awards!

"Dark Ballet" also won "Pick Two" for Hair & Makeup & "Pick Three" for Costume Design.

BERLIN COMMERCIAL BRINGS TOGETHER THE RIGHT PEOPLE AND COMPANIES FROM THE COMMERCIAL FILMMAKING INDUSTRY AND OFFERS MOVERS AND SHAKERS FROM ALL CAREER STAGES A SPACE FOR OPEN EXCHANGE TO CHAMPION THE ART & BUSINESS OF COMMERCIAL FILMMAKING

Super 👏 

On 9/6/2019 at 2:50 AM, Ugly Hecty said:

You have no idea how happy this makes me. I love it when something that so obviously deserves recognition receives it. 

0D3C3964-43DD-4484-B37D-EF83585AC4CB.gif

Just a note, @VogueMusic- regular U.S. MTV did not play her videos for 24 hours and such leading up to the Medellin video. It was MTV Classic,as you mentioned, and another MTV channel- but not regular MTV.

Good to see some ecognition for the "Batuka" and 'Dark Ballet" clips.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:50 PM, Ugly Hecty said:

That's great. So glad for the recognition. 

9 hours ago, HolidayGuy said:

Just a note, @VogueMusic- regular U.S. MTV did not play her videos for 24 hours and such leading up to the Medellin video. It was MTV Classic,as you mentioned, and another MTV channel- but not regular MTV.

Yeah, it might have been MTV Live, not the regular MTV. It was on 2 channels, as each had a slightly different video rotation (or so it seemed), and I was often going back and forth between the two channels.

It was bittersweet though, as seeing those videos on the big screen just reminded me of how much the original MTV is sorely missed and still needed (and that era of seeing all those big artists on constant rotation on television, having that kind of effect on pop culture). Felt the same way when Prince passed and they did 24 hour rotations of his videos and performances.

I really like Batuka, i know many people cannot stand her heavily processed voice on it and that would have preferred a more natural vocal delivery but i think it would have been more predictable that way, just a "normal" attempt to ethnic music. The final mix is instead quite interesting and original, a great contrast between the robotic and futuristic tone of her voice and the tribal and ancestral vibe of the batukadeiras, it's different from standard world music.

Not very fan of the videoclip thought... well i do actually like the message, the beautiful images of the batukadeiras en plain air and theis sadness, but i'm not fond on Madonna's look and acting in it. I know she probably didin't want overshadow the musicians and the message but i miss her "star attitude" in this video.

• 9 months later...