“Batuka” music video

That 'old man' could refer to women as well. Anyone who fails to empathize, and is very ego driven, and uses religion to justify his or her ignorance ( most women here are exactly like that and so are most men and most young people too- here where I'm from). So I would say it's not gender or age specific. it's basically any bigot in power- not just political power.  Unfortunately  BATUKA is too real and painful for me to enjoy at times. When she sings 'GET THAT OLD MAN' I have real persons and institutions  in my mind who have deprived me of a voice, of a personality, of a personhood( if there is such a word ). The song entices me to speak up and break free and yet  I know I can't and so I end up feeling helpless. Having said that I am proud that she made it, and at times when I'm in a good mood I imagine myself in favorable situations and am able to feel empathy for the unfortunate ones- though clearly I'm one of them. In case you are wondering I am speaking of being  __ __ y. Here it is believed that it is the result of western culture and influence and the work of the illuminati.  I know it is silly, yet this perception is prevalent and strong . Not only are you sinful and abhorrent but i'm guessing illegal as well- I haven't checked recently- but even if it's legal , i can assure you it won't be of any help. there are far more powerful elements here than the law or gov't  to the individual.   

Madonna holds a special place in my heart because I feel she didn't need to associate herself with my community. it certainly didn't enhance her popularity back in the day. And this song is not for everyone. but it definitely is heartfelt and helpful to me at least in the sense that it makes me realize I am not alone and am understood. and not just by anybody, but by Madonna. THANK YOU MADONNA.

Edited by miki

7 minutes ago, Rock said:

Tonight, the Portuguese public TV channel ended their news segment with a piece about Batuka music video. They also played Crave.  

At 27m:17s

So cool to see her on TV news. 

On 7/24/2019 at 9:38 AM, Mat.Guy said:

Madonna confirmed that at the NY Times Magazine I guess. It's not about Trump, she said so. I never thought about Trump when listening to the song anyway. History is flooded by men owning everything and stopping and hurting women.

If it's really not specifically referencing Trump, fine...but if it's essentially referencing the patriarchy, then by default, it's essentially referring to Trump and all those like him. I mean, who isn't more of a modern day representation of such a system/history than that man. At least for myself, that's the first image of the patriarchy that enters my mind when hearing that specific line - particularly as she says old 'man', not old 'men'. The singular use makes me think of 'you know who' in the immediate...but that's just me.

4 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

She can say it's not about Trump, fine...but if it's essentially referencing the patriarchy, then by default, it's essentially referring to Trump and all those like him. I mean, who isn't more of a modern day representation of such a system/history than that man. At least for myself, that's the first image of the patriarchy that enters my mind when hearing that specific line - particularly as she says old 'man', not old 'men'. The singular use makes me think of 'you know who' in the immediate...but that's just me.

Well, maybe because you live in USA? Madame X is a world album. She's not just worried about the US

It’s just funny how some people get butt hurt assuming she straight up talks about Trump. For a timeless song like Batuka, please!! Besides, Trump deserves being thrown in jail! Period! 

On 7/24/2019 at 3:01 PM, Mat.Guy said:

Well, maybe because you live in USA? Madame X is a world album. She's not just worried about the US

:dazed:I never said she was. I said multiple times that those were my feelings when listening to that line. Nowhere in that am I negating what that line means to others in the context of where they live and what they experience. I figured that was obvious.

That being said, considering the many things she's posted on instagram in the last few years...her comments after 'you know who' was elected...her long held (and known) views on US politics, particularly during the early 00s Bush era that greatly influenced her work and statements in the following years...let alone that she is still an American citizen and has openly discussed multiple times how concerned she is with the state of the country - specifically on a song/video like God Control...I'd bet that she is highly worried about the US. A place that is still one of her homes, and, yes, still a part of the world... but in no way negates MX's global aspects, influences and interpretations.

giphy.gif

She already told Trump to go suck a dick (among other things). She doesn’t need to address him specifically anymore, we all know her feelings. She say herself that this song wasn’t about any one “old man”...it’s about the patriarchy in general. I’m sure you-know-who was at the forefront of her mind when writing that line though.

19 hours ago, Rock said:

Tonight, the Portuguese public TV channel ended their news segment with a piece about Batuka music video. They also played Crave.  

At 27m:17s

They really embrace her, unlike her home country!

14 hours ago, reQuiem4adream said:

They really embrace her, unlike her home country!

Uh ALL MTV channels in the US played nonstop Madonna 24/7 the week leading up to the Medillan video premiere

I would not comment if you are not in the US

10 hours ago, Samo said:

Uh ALL MTV channels in the US played nonstop Madonna 24/7 the week leading up to the Medillan video premiere

And she got 0 nods for VMAs?

I believe it was the day leading up to "Medellin" that a couple of MTV channels played all-Madonna videos.

Again, the VMAs have become a public-voting "awards" show, so they're not what they once were.

16 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

I believe it was the day leading up to "Medellin" that a couple of MTV channels played all-Madonna videos.

Again, the VMAs have become a public-voting "awards" show, so they're not what they once were.

THIS

On 7/24/2019 at 12:14 PM, miki said:

That 'old man' could refer to women as well. Anyone who fails to empathize, and is very ego driven, and uses religion to justify his or her ignorance ( most women here are exactly like that and so are most men and most young people too- here where I'm from). So I would say it's not gender or age specific. it's basically any bigot in power- not just political power.  Unfortunately  BATUKA is too real and painful for me to enjoy at times. When she sings 'GET THAT OLD MAN' I have real persons and institutions  in my mind who have deprived me of a voice, of a personality, of a personhood( if there is such a word ). The song entices me to speak up and break free and yet  I know I can't and so I end up feeling helpless. Having said that I am proud that she made it, and at times when I'm in a good mood I imagine myself in favorable situations and am able to feel empathy for the unfortunate ones- though clearly I'm one of them. In case you are wondering I am speaking of being  __ __ y. Here it is believed that it is the result of western culture and influence and the work of the illuminati.  I know it is silly, yet this perception is prevalent and strong . Not only are you sinful and abhorrent but i'm guessing illegal as well- I haven't checked recently- but even if it's legal , i can assure you it won't be of any help. there are far more powerful elements here than the law or gov't  to the individual.   

Madonna holds a special place in my heart because I feel she didn't need to associate herself with my community. it certainly didn't enhance her popularity back in the day. And this song is not for everyone. but it definitely is heartfelt and helpful to me at least in the sense that it makes me realize I am not alone and am understood. and not just by anybody, but by Madonna. THANK YOU MADONNA.

I am so sorry to read that you are in this situation. I hope the song (as so many of M’s songs) can be cathartic at least, sometimes. But having not lived through something like what you are living through, I know that is easier said than done. I just wanted to write back to say that you are seen and heard here. 

17 hours ago, Phineaspoe said:

I am so sorry to read that you are in this situation. I hope the song (as so many of M’s songs) can be cathartic at least, sometimes. But having not lived through something like what you are living through, I know that is easier said than done. I just wanted to write back to say that you are seen and heard here. 

Thank you for these very kind words. It means a lot to me that you read my post and replied in so generous a manner. And yes her songs are very cathartic and therapeutic. And perhaps I would like to add that it is not as bleak as I made it out to be.  I do have very good friends and am able to enjoy life in general. I did not intend to upset you or cause you great concern , I  just wanted to let some steam off. Anyways, thank you again and know that there are always consolations in life and I feel content, in a way, cause I have led a full life. So, thank you again. So, all is cool and wish you all the best. THANK YOU. 

On 7/26/2019 at 5:09 PM, Rock said:

For those interested at the place where Batuka music video was filmed, here it is at Google Earth:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9347499,-9.4198101,607m/data=!3m1!1e3

What about the building with those big yellow doors? 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:01 AM, Samo said:

I live in the US and I guarantee you that none of MTV channels played her videos 24/7 as you mentioned in your response. Unfortunately and sadly she is no longer relevant  for this country.

Edited by brestol1

6 minutes ago, brestol1 said:

I live in the US and I guarantee you that none of MTV channels played her videos 24/7 as you mentioned in your response. Unfortunately and sadly she is no longer relevant  for this country.

Calm down, they dont play anyone's videos. And give me a break, she's had better press here in the past 10 years from the superbowl to the mdna tour to the Grammy performance and now with madame x. She's not having hits only because her old fans dont stream so there's no power there.

15 minutes ago, Showdown said:

Calm down, they dont play anyone's videos. And give me a break, she's had better press here in the past 10 years from the superbowl to the mdna tour to the Grammy performance and now with madame x. She's not having hits only because her old fans dont stream so there's no power there.

I am calm  and unfortunately for the loyalists and old fans like me ...she is not longer relevant in the USA regardless of the momentary success that she has had with Madame X. Also, it is important to notice that not ALL reviews in the USA have been good...and you know it. Personally, I think that Madame X is probably her best record since ROL.

Guest BillyBongo

Cape Verde is amazing, been three times and I love it. Seen the touristy side, seen the local culture, it’s warm, it’s in inviting, it’s inclusive, it’s wonderful. So glad that Madonna is embracing it. But ffs, lose the auto tune, you’re taking these beautiful vocals and drums and smearing this done to death, robotic shit over it. This song would be absolutely faultless is it was sung without that robo effect.

Definitely the most frustrating song on the album. I love Madonna, I love Cape Verde and it’s a dream to hear them combined but I want to hear MADONNA not the robot vocals!

1 hour ago, brestol1 said:

What do you consider relevant ? Is she relevant to you ? I guess so and that s a great achievement in the eve of tributes-resurrections&imitations .

We were we ve been and we are blessed

Guest BillyBongo

Who fucking cares about “relevance”? Have you ever looked at these current videos on YouTube? 95% of the comment are “let’s get this to 800m views!” Stream, watch, share! What the fuck is that all about?! That’s not art,  it’s armies of organised people inflating things! We Madonna fans are from a different age and why even bother trying to compete with that?! Relax! Enjoy the music, who gives a fuck if Madonna can’t crack the singles charts anymore? She cracked it when it was an actual achievement.

2 hours ago, BillyBongo said:

Who fucking cares about “relevance”? Have you ever looked at these current videos on YouTube? 95% of the comment are “let’s get this to 800m views!” Stream, watch, share! What the fuck is that all about?! That’s not art,  it’s armies of organised people inflating things! We Madonna fans are from a different age and why even bother trying to compete with that?! Relax! Enjoy the music, who gives a fuck if Madonna can’t crack the singles charts anymore? She cracked it when it was an actual achievement.

I don't and for sure I don't care. I just gave my opinion on a comment about her videos being played on MTV 24/7 since "Medellin" was launched. That's not true and  I would LOVE to see her 24/7 She deserves it, she has been a truly trailblazer/maverick and she continues to rule musically. Particularly, I don't care about charts and I think that my comment was misunderstood. I wasn't and I'm not comparing her with anybody. True genius never die and she has proven her geniality for more than 3 decades. My only intention was to give this forum another vision of the reality that as a musician she faces in USA. Unfortunately, she is not respected and considered like in other places. Does it mean that I like her less? does it mean I care about derogative comments against her and her talent? Of course not, and again my only intention was to share with people from all over the world another perspective. By the way, I am a new member of this forum and I am very happy to be here. Great site and great place to exchange ideas and opinions of someone that as her "music" makes people come together.

Edited by brestol1