“Batuka” music video

19 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

^Indeed. CULTURALLY ENRICHING, she continues to be. :gent:

As for the "old man" line, Trump's only 12 years or so older than M- would she really be calling him "old"? 😋

I felt she calls him "old man" as a way of pointing out he doesn't get told to retire and give up because of his age, because he's a man. Where as she gets it all the time.

1 hour ago, HolidayGuy said:

^Indeed. CULTURALLY ENRICHING, she continues to be. :gent:

As for the "old man" line, Trump's only 12 years or so older than M- would she really be calling him "old"? 😋

38 minutes ago, tasteinmen said:

I felt she calls him "old man" as a way of pointing out he doesn't get told to retire and give up because of his age, because he's a man. Where as she gets it all the time.

In her NY Times interview, I believe she shook her head when the interviewer asked if it was a Trump reference. And M indicated there are a lot of corrupt leaders out there it could refer to.

Maybe it was the British Vogue — but it was one of the early major features.

Personally, after hearing the song (and even more so after seeing the video), I think it is a poetic reference to “the patriarchy” (a metaphor). 

But that’s just my interpretation. And of course I’m sure M would say Trump reinforces the patriarchal worldview.

1 hour ago, alquemist said:

So I showed the video to my best friend at the weekend and she really loved it, except for one line in the song (which is one of my favorite ones): Get that old man. Put him into jail. She thought that these statements kind of mimic the way Trump and his supporters speak and that, given the large fanbase M has, she should know better and not sink to their level and reduce her powerful voice to such poor "hate speech".

Of course, I wholeheartedly disagreed and told her that there are indeed many "old men" who are very criminal and simply deserve to be put into jail for violating human rights. Well, she said that there still is freedom of speech in the US, so strictly speaking Trump's not a criminal. Needless to say we couldn't come to an agreement - lol.

What do YOU think??

PS: I think the fact that we were having this kind of conversation because of Madonna is great and a testament to her power and relevance!

Didn’t see this post at first @alquemist — I answered others in my post above. Thought you might be interested in it, as well... 

1 hour ago, alquemist said:

So I showed the video to my best friend at the weekend and she really loved it, except for one line in the song (which is one of my favorite ones): Get that old man. Put him into jail. She thought that these statements kind of mimic the way Trump and his supporters speak and that, given the large fanbase M has, she should know better and not sink to their level and reduce her powerful voice to such poor "hate speech".

Of course, I wholeheartedly disagreed and told her that there are indeed many "old men" who are very criminal and simply deserve to be put into jail for violating human rights. Well, she said that there still is freedom of speech in the US, so strictly speaking Trump's not a criminal. Needless to say we couldn't come to an agreement - lol.

What do YOU think??

PS: I think the fact that we were having this kind of conversation because of Madonna is great and a testament to her power and relevance!

that isn't exactly hate speech in this instance, she didn't call him for his death..also he has had many instances of criminality..were it not for the presidency...he would have likely been indicted at the very least for obstruction and yes in jail..your friend is woefully incorrect

1 hour ago, peter said:

Personally, after hearing the song (and even more so after seeing the video), I think it is a poetic reference to “the patriarchy” (a metaphor). 

That‘s an interesting interpretation!

1 hour ago, Intervention_78 said:

Wow. All this drama just because of the body double. I agree, she didn't need to do this at all specially since that scene with the rest of the women would've been fine but some of you need to chill and enjoy the video. :order:

I see no drama. It's just an observation.

8 hours ago, alquemist said:

What do YOU think??

Remember Madonna has never been politically correct in her wording. Also, old man is a universal figure here. He could be the king who ordered to bring slaves from Africa, he could be the church leader who ordered to forbid Batuka music. Also, Madonna believes in fixing the world with love, not tyranny! Hence she sings “and if we can stop it all, in the right way, will we stand together?...” So even if she did mean Trump, her goal is not to actually put him in jail. That ain’t gonna happen. She’s trying to shine the light on how criminals in power get away with oppression and hate century after century, be it Kings or church leaders or presidents.  

No offense to your friend, but again, why do people always nitpick everything Madonna says or does? She’s an artist, not a president. 

Anyways, to me personally “get that old man” is my favorite part in the song ☺️ 

2 hours ago, Katypatra said:

Remember Madonna has never been politically correct in her wording. Also, old man is a universal figure here. He could be the king who ordered to bring slaves from Africa, he could be the church leader who ordered to forbid Batuka music. Also, Madonna believes in fixing the world with love, not tyranny! Hence she sings “and if we can stop it all, in the right way, will we stand together?...” So even if she did mean Trump, her goal is not to actually put him in jail. That ain’t gonna happen. She’s trying to shine the light on how criminals in power get away with oppression and hate century after century, be it Kings or church leaders or presidents.  

No offense to your friend, but again, why do people always nitpick everything Madonna says or does? She’s an artist, not a president. 

Anyways, to me personally “get that old man” is my favorite part in the song ☺️ 

I think the lyric is: “Will we taste our freedom in the right way? Will we stand together?”

Don’t disagree with what you’re saying, though. It is a universal figure she refers to with the “old man” image. But that’s why I think it represents a universal concept, of which there are many specific examples.

Also, there’s a concept in Christianity of the “old Adam” and the “new creation” — the old Adam is the sinner, which is “drowned” in the waters of baptism. The emerging person has experienced a rebirth ... so, applying this concept to her lyrics here, she could mean to contain and control the old sinful person inside of us and embrace the new person who cares for others in the community and takes responsibility for their own action (tastes freedom in the right way). Some may think that is off-the-wall, I know, especially since historical slavery was clearly oppression from outside (evil) forces. But Madonna, in Dark Ballet, talks about “the storm” being “inside of us,” too ... and she talks about there being “a storm ahead” in Batuka. So I think it’s possible to have an “internalized” interpretation, too ... ? If you know what I mean ... That we all, individually, have to choose to exercise our freedoms carefully and responsibly, with love for our neighbors. And she may mean that we have a selfish “old man” (ego?) inside that we have to overcome in order to pursue nobler dreams.

Just another thought. Hope it deepens and broadens appreciation — I don’t mean to suggest this possible interpretation to the exclusion of the more obvious and literal possibilities.

37 minutes ago, peter said:

I think the lyric is: “Will we taste our freedom in the right way? Will we stand together?”

Don’t disagree with what you’re saying, though. It is a universal figure she refers to with the “old man” image. But that’s why I think it represents a universal concept, of which there are many specific examples.

Also, there’s a concept in Christianity of the “old Adam” and the “new creation” — the old Adam is the sinner, which is “drowned” in the waters of baptism. The emerging person has experienced a rebirth ... so, applying this concept to her lyrics here, she could mean to contain and control the old sinful person inside of us and embrace the new person who cares for others in the community and takes responsibility for their own action (tastes freedom in the right way). Some may think that is off-the-wall, I know, especially since historical slavery was clearly oppression from outside (evil) forces. But Madonna, in Dark Ballet, talks about “the storm” being “inside of us,” too ... and she talks about there being “a storm ahead” in Batuka. So I think it’s possible to have an “internalized” interpretation, too ... ? If you know what I mean ... That we all, individually, have to choose to exercise our freedoms carefully and responsibly, with love for our neighbors. And she may mean that we have a selfish “old man” (ego?) inside that we have to overcome in order to pursue nobler dreams.

Just another thought. Hope it deepens and broadens appreciation — I don’t mean to suggest this possible interpretation to the exclusion of the more obvious and literal possibilities.

Beautiful @peter! I love this!! I thought "old man" represented the slave owners or anyone wanting to own or take someone's freedoms away but I love your and @Katypatra 's ideas on it so much more. I also love how Madonna has got us talking on it. 

59 minutes ago, RainbowEyes said:

Can anyone share a HQ Version of the Video here to download? Pleeeease 😊

Just use a YouTube downloader 

5 hours ago, peter said:

Yeah, it’s hard to decipher if she’s saying “but when we can stop it all” or “when we taste our freedom”, but either way she’s saying she wants to do it “in the right way”, meaning with love. She’s said that many times in the interviews as well. Like, if we use violent force, we are not any different from the very oppressors we try to overcome. And I like your interpretation about the “old man”. Madonna’s lyrics should never be taken literally. Ever! Not even BIM! Lol She’s all about conveying messages, influencing people’s minds to think outside the box, to have a deeper perception, to challenge the system. Nothing is as it seems. 

11 hours ago, sillynate said:

Prove it

I don't think there will be anymore videos right now at least since she's going to be going on tour soon.

2 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

BMA’s peeformance. 🙂

But that was with an accordion. Maybe this too? Or maybe just for the documentary!

also someone says crazy is getting a video. Really????

On 7/22/2019 at 5:53 AM, Crystal Coffin said:

My favorite part of the "Batuka" video is at 5:47. Those ships are reminders of the inhumane Transatlantic slave trade...it's very chilling and poignant. Madonna brought history to pop music. There's no one like her. 

Brought a tear to my eye.. 

On 7/22/2019 at 7:09 AM, Querelle said:

I wouldn't have guessed that there really was a double. But it looks like her, if this is Megan Lawson.

noname-crop.png

That is not Megan Lawson.

This is -

origin.jpg

https://www.dance-teacher.com/a-conversation-with-choreographer-megan-lawson-2392709457.html

On 7/22/2019 at 7:18 AM, FreeMySoul said:

terrible to add a stand in no need for it 

Technically, stand-ins are used all throughout the industry, and always have been - film, tv, music videos, etc. 

Often times it's because the actor/star can't be on set for that day/time of shooting, and it isn't necessary to capture the face, so it really isn't necessary for them to be there.

Used so often most of it goes right over our heads.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:06 AM, peter said:

I think it absolutely is referencing the patriarchy (and thus anything that represents it - like Trump, obviously).

13 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

I think it absolutely is referencing the patriarchy (and thus anything that represents it - like Trump, obviously).

Madonna confirmed that at the NY Times Magazine I guess. It's not about Trump, she said so. I never thought about Trump when listening to the song anyway. History is flooded by men owning everything and stopping and hurting women.