“Batuka” music video

None of the videos for this album come close to cracking her top ten (or even top twenty), but I don’t think it’s fair to compare these videos to the others in her catalog. Each one feels like a small painted stone in a mosaic; viewed separately, they’re fairly pedestrian, especially for her; viewed together, you begin to see the motifs. I think once we have all the videos we’ll be debating what order to watch them in. 

Edited by bcx

8 hours ago, zephyralexxx said:

Just noticed that so many people are focusing on her body double. I showed the video yesterday to my colleagues (2 of them are going to Lisbon in August) and they said: "What a beautiful cinematography and images of the ocean, but I wish it was Madonna there! She always shoots indoors because she is old and the natural light it's too harsh for the face."... And we didn't even begin to discuss this body double thing, here. 

Yikes. Hope you mentioned her outdoor scenes in Medellín and Crave as recent examples to educate them!

2 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Yikes. Hope you mentioned her outdoor scenes in Medellín and Crave as recent examples to educate them!

I showed them Crave instantly. She said she looks like the Madonna she knows from the 90's. And also showed her this: 

61711812_10218561155156405_3028272855046

1 minute ago, zephyralexxx said:

I showed them Crave instantly. She said she looks like the Madonna she knows from the 90's. And also showed her this: 

:inlove::inlove:

8 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Just when you think you've seen it all from her, she takes it to the next level.

Spiritual, uplifting, awakening... I can't even begin to describe the many emotions it makes you feel...all at once. Combined with absolutely stunning cinematography and direction, it says so much while being so very simple.

As for any issue with her performance in it vs the tone of the song/video, I have no issue and buy it completely. The Batukadeiras are not about wallowing in the darkness, they're about bringing the light to it. They use call-and-response, and dance, to convey their message...and it's clear that it is supposed to be infectious and inspiring to the listener. Madonna is the bridge between what she experienced with these women through her exploration and travels, and now bringing it to us, the audience. So her movements and her physical expressions (joy and rage, pain and inspiration) all make perfect sense. Not to mention the women themselves are seen in both moments of reflection, pain and joy throughout the video. The song may be dramatic, and have a sense of darkness...but it's actually about rising about it. It's that contrast that makes it work.

As for any comments out there about "appropriation"...they can rightly fuck off. It's clear these women have allowed her into their lives, so much so as to go on a world tour with her. And the video places the women front and center, while she takes a step back and highlights them (as she has done for so many groups/individuals before). This is exactly how it's supposed to be done...I WILL NOT buy any argument otherwise - because there is none.

We keep saying it, but it deserves repeating - she is operating on a completely different level than her peers, past and present. Always has, always will. This entire project has elevated that truth even more so. Nearly 40 years into a career...who else at present? NO ONE.

ps. Those last shots with them staring out onto the horizon, hands clasped, with the ghosts of slave ships fading away.....  :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Right on! Beautiful post!!

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

When you think about what this song is truly saying, combined with the power of that video...and then see pages arguing about a body double...

source.gif

This. I see Madonna, the Batukadeiras, and this beautiful and stunning video with a statement and dancing and that is all. 

44 minutes ago, bcx said:

None of the videos for this album come close to cracking her top ten (or even top twenty), but I don’t think it’s fair to compare these videos to the others in her catalog. Each one feels like a small painted stone in a mosaic; viewed separately, they’re fairly pedestrian, especially for her; viewed together, you begin to see the motifs. I think once we have all the videos we’ll be debating what order to watch them in. 

Pedestrian? Small painted stone? Not in her top twenty best videos? Is it crack you smoke? These are some of the best videos of her career I have no clue what you are going on about. You and mimifarts can go fuck a garbage disposal tbh

2 hours ago, bcx said:

In your opinion, of course. “Batuka” is my all time favorite Madonna video of her entire catalogue. Go figure... 

I think it's a beautiful and stirring video. I especially appreciate the careful way in which she's spoken about and presented these women...it's obvious she's aware of the "appropriation" bullshit that SJWs perpetuate and is doubling down on her assertion that it's her right to bring light and attention to otherwise neglected subjects and people.

I also think it's very interesting that she rolled this video out long after it would have any significant impact on sales of her album or concerts. She is clearly more concerned with making artistic statements than anything else. It makes enduring all of those MDNA ads worth it, since we know she used the profits to pay for videos like this.

3 hours ago, zephyralexxx said:

Eternally Gorgeous!!

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
1 hour ago, Priceless said:

I also think it's very interesting that she rolled this video out long after it would have any significant impact on sales of her album or concerts. She is clearly more concerned with making artistic statements than anything else. It makes enduring all of those MDNA ads worth it, since we know she used the profits to pay for videos like this.

To further add, it obviously was on her mind right from the start, before she thought about how the album will be promoted. She spent time with those women and no doubt thought, "this is something I want to share with the world". Certainly, the song is not catchy as Holiday, Vogue, Ray of Light, Music and Hung Up (just to name a few of her classic hits), but she has made a name for herself in the entertainment world and her voice still is heard even if some have this audacious idea she's no longer relevant in the music industry.

Singles are just dead anymore. She knows that.  Add that radio no longer plays her songs, her focus is on her tours and the artistic statements she wants to share with the world using what's always been a great asset to her popularity and that is creating stunning and enlightening visuals.  Each video represents a slice of pie from the album.

I hope there is more to come, but I believe this is the last video and now the focus will be the tour, which again will display some stunning visuals and artistic choices.

5 hours ago, FreeMySoul said:

It’s not your typical Madonna video

I understand the criticism 

I mean this era we have seen a total transformation

Changes are refreshing. Especially good ones  :laugh:And the change is for the better it seems

Both artistically with fewer cooks on this project and in terms of marketing and a more controlled and effective communication

The spirit of the album, the visuals, the concept, her voice and her "weirdness" as far as musical influences go as some critics referred to it with a positive connotation to the word

21 minutes ago, Amelia said:

To further add, it obviously was on her mind right from the start, before she thought about how the album will be promoted. She spent time with those women and no doubt thought, "this is something I want to share with the world". Certainly, the song is not catchy as Holiday, Vogue, Ray of Light, Music and Hung Up (just to name a few of her classic hits), but she has made a name for herself in the entertainment world and her voice still is heard even if some have this audacious idea she's no longer relevant in the music industry.

Singles are just dead anymore. She knows that.  Add that radio no longer plays her songs, her focus is on her tours and the artistic statements she wants to share with the world using what's always been a great asset to her popularity and that is creating stunning and enlightening visuals.  Each video represents a slice of pie from the album.

I hope there is more to come, but I believe this is the last video and now the focus will be the tour, which again will display some stunning visuals and artistic choices.

Totally agree

Sums up about most of the things I've stuck by as far as talk about Madonna and real success go post 50. Thank you

7 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

When you think about what this song is truly saying, combined with the power of that video...and then see pages arguing about a body double...

source.gif

🤣

5 hours ago, FreeMySoul said:

It’s not your typical Madonna video

I understand the criticism 

I mean this era we have seen a total transformation 

Never knew such exists..

41 minutes ago, Amelia said:

Spot on baby!

I don't think she would of made this type of album at any other point in her career. She is at a point where the masses just aren't exposed to her work anymore through the sheer demographics of the audience that defines the charts. So rather than try to appeal to it which I feel much of RH did she has chose to create an album where she can really be artistic and make statements that she wouldn't of otherwise. But MX is holding its own and through great reviews, stunning visuals and the exposure it has got it's been so warmly recived. 

MX challenges convention. The songs have interesting structures it's not about achieving an instant appeal, it has layers and stories and that's what she's brought to the videos. It's such a work of art the whole project and further proves after all these years she can still make music that has a lasting impact on the listener. 

I'm not saying she hasn't pushed the artistic boundaries before, she's made a career out of doing just that but we have arrived at a different phase of her career and my God it's so interesting and beautiful.

The video is perfection. Again Madonna but people first before herself. Even with Maluma she was equal to him. I love it so much. Music makes the peopl come together 

Great Video, Great song, full of beautiful emotions.

I feel so luck to be a fan of such a great women.

Who cares what other thinks, we all know she is above.

She amazes me, again and again.

7 hours ago, bcx said:

These videos are easily in her top ten or top 20

I think youre evaluating her past videos with nostalgia and chart success

We have all of them

Ok just saw the video. I know, lame, terrible fan, but it's just been so busy lately, I feel like drowning in work. Anyways, THIS is how you make a music video. Rock on, M! I Love Batuka. She's on fire with this album.

Guys,  did you know that Lady Gaga fans were celebrating via twitter platform  and  posted  officially  announced that MADAME X  album really sucks -  is now certified  FLOP  they even sent a copy to @Madonna account  to @GuyOseary   - MadameX#RIP      -  it really broke my heart and pisses me off at the same time.

As  I   watching them how they run their campaign - sent tweets to Billboard ,  MTV and Grammys that MadameX sucks big time .  Lowest sales ever for an artist . (was it really?)

This is my opinion  -  in this case .  after this MadameX album - it would take some time to have another new album perhaps . she will have to slow down .  Too much bashing goin on and just too much and her sales of the album affected so much.   Maybe Retirement . Last one this Madame X.   Im feeling depresssed right now. 

and what happen to Madonnalicous fan forum - has been canceled - nothing to talk about ,  geezz

MadameXTheDickChokers) Twitter.png

MadameX( TheDickChokers) Twitter.png

MADAMEXDickChokers - Twitter Search.png