“Batuka” music video

1 hour ago, elijah said:

I don't understand the hate for Batuka. Or the dislike. It was an obvious stand out track for me from the very first listen. Apart from being a great song, it is also a love letter to Africa.

Exactly!!! I don’t get how anyone can dislike it. It’s EPIC!! The best of Madonna’s most creative side. I fell in love with it on a the first listen. The drums put me into a trance and then her voice and the lyrics, just pure MAGIC! 

Why Batuka??  Hasn't she promised us a music video for  Faz Gostoso?  I wanted a visual for Extreme Occident too..Anyway, perched to see what she has in her basket this time😍

2 hours ago, elijah said:

I don't understand the hate for Batuka. Or the dislike. It was an obvious stand out track for me from the very first listen. Apart from being a great song, it is also a love letter to Africa.

For me, it is a good song...but compared to other gems in the album, it seems underwhelming....

I think it will be a very simple music video. Nothing special like Dark Ballet or God Control. More like Crave. Just people dancing, singing, no story line.

4 hours ago, Katypatra said:

Exactly!!! I don’t get how anyone can dislike it. It’s EPIC!! The best of Madonna’s most creative side. I fell in love with it on a the first listen. The drums put me into a trance and then her voice and the lyrics, just pure MAGIC! 

Quite a masterpiece indeed

20 minutes ago, Lament said:

I think it will be a very simple music video. Nothing special like Dark Ballet or God Control. More like Crave. Just people dancing, singing, no story line.

I hope it has a political  metaphore , it has all the ingredients , I m quite  sure  s gonna be like that

1 hour ago, animalinstinct said:

Excited to see what she has in store for this. Anybody know who directed this one?

...Emmanuel if it s the one shot on the beach....I mey be wrong

6 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

I don’t really understand the love for “Batuka” to be honest. I think there are several other songs on the album that deserve a video. 

It's all good 🙂 we all have different tastes and batuka is def one that is more 90s alt, really reminds me of garbage. It's definately an interesting choice for a video, I'm just hoping its good and not just there like dark ballet but if it is at least we have God Control, the best thing from this era and incredibly one of her best videos ever in her almost 40 year career

I think it´s a good idea to release a madonna video with a song that it´s totally different to what she has done in her career, it shows that she keeps moving and evolving

6 minutes ago, Stranger 68 said:

Great that it will be online on Friday..Love Batuka!!! I hope she pull ot more Videos form MX. A Complete Video Album would be awesome imo!!!

Hope so too. Not sure any more videos were shot, but there's certainly some looks in some of the promo snippets that we havent really seen much of. Maybe even a live video for something once the tour is going??

I think the people who don’t like “Batuka” don’t like it because there’s no chorus. It doesn’t follow a traditional song structure. That’s what I love about it. It only moves forward, never circulating back on itself. 

It’s what I want “Extreme Occident” to do. When the song dissolves into Middle Eastern instrumentation and she sings “no, I wasn’t lost...” I want the song to come apart at the seams, get messy, build in intensity as she ad libs over the beat in that same delirious voice. Instead, it recirculates, reconstitutes its form. Could have been a masterpiece. 

Edited by bcx
Typo

1 hour ago, bcx said:

I think the people who don’t like “Batuka” don’t like it because there’s no chorus. It doesn’t follow a traditional song structure. That’s what I love about it. It only moves forward, never circulating back on itself. 

It’s what I want “Extreme Occident” to do. When the song dissolves into Middle Eastern instrumentation and she sings “no, I wasn’t lost...” I want the song to come apart at the seams, get messy, build in intensity as she ad libs over the beat in that same delirious voice. Instead, it recirculates, reconstitutes its form. Could have been a masterpiece. 

I would say most of Madame X is like that but I think thats a mirwais thing. Extreme Occident  I love until that Indian part which i hate and doesn't go with the song at all but that's off topic. Lol Batuka is such a weird song for her, I would've never thought she would have such an alternative sounding song. 

Madonna has done many very non-pop songs, mostly with Mirwais, but Madame X definitely has some of her most unconventionally structured songs. That is what separates her from typical pop singers/artists, she has (especially since Justify My Love) usually included some innovative “weird” music on all her albums. Her non-singles are mostly her best music. It depends on one’s taste of course. 

Batuka is brilliant and one of my favorites on the album. I am very pleasantly surprised we’re getting a video. 

Amazing song. Amazing production. 

Not only is she doing lots of great videos this era but also doing videos for songs that in any other era wouldn't have any chance. 

Medellín

Crave

Dark Ballet

God Control

And soon Batuka

An amazing video era. And btw I won't count I Rise as an official video until she uploads it on her channel 😛

I like Batuka but sometimes I wish we'd get a version she did in the documentary without the processing of her vocals. She sounded glorious in it. Either way, it's a good track. Another dark haired video hopefully.

22 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Her anti Trump video is coming!!

You know she has to say something in the video for the “get that old man...” part!

I don't think the structure of "Batuka" is what bothers me, as I said before, I think her vocals are too nasally or somehow processed in an unflattering way, the lyrics are somewhat amateur for her, but at the end of the day, she's not really actually singing a song, she's just sort of sing-talking. I find it so amusing that when I put my version of the album together I omitted "Dark Ballet" "Batuka" and "KIllers" and replaced them with "Ciao Bella" "Back That Up" and "Funana" while so many other fans seem to LOVE those 3. I just find them hard to listen to with "Dark Ballet" being the most palatable. 

I really like Batuka. It's warm and interesting sounding. What I do wonder about is with "call and response" that Madonna does in the song. To me it sounds like Madonna calls and Madonnas voice also responds, rather then Madonna calls and the choir responds. It makes me feel like she didn't use the choir as much as she could've. What are your thoughts?

19 hours ago, Saint Madge said:

Why Batuka??  Hasn't she promised us a music video for  Faz Gostoso?  I wanted a visual for Extreme Occident too..Anyway, perched to see what she has in her basket this time😍

She didn’t promise anything and in fact, Anita’s spokesperson said that there’s nothing currently in plans. I shared the source before but was shut down because my source was from a Russian website. Whatever! Personally I want Faz Gostoso video, but I’m not waiting for it because there is no official confirmation. 

4 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

I don't think the structure of "Batuka" is what bothers me, as I said before, I think her vocals are too nasally or somehow processed in an unflattering way, the lyrics are somewhat amateur for her, but at the end of the day, she's not really actually singing a song, she's just sort of sing-talking. I find it so amusing that when I put my version of the album together I omitted "Dark Ballet" "Batuka" and "KIllers" and replaced them with "Ciao Bella" "Back That Up" and "Funana" while so many other fans seem to LOVE those 3. I just find them hard to listen to with "Dark Ballet" being the most palatable. 

Killers was the first song she wrote when she began this journey. She put her heart and soul into it and her Portuguese is gorgeous. Batuka is one of her most ethnic songs she’s ever done, with the African beats and Batukadeiras singing in the chorus. Her voice is meant to be nasally because of the atmosphere of the song, like she’s part of the tribe. You replaced these songs with bonus tracks that sound great on their own, but definitely not better. Just accept the album as it is and allow these songs to come to you. Disregarding them like that is kind of disrespectful to how Madonna intended her album to be. Just saying...

20 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

Killers was the first song she wrote when she began this journey. She put her heart and soul into it and her Portuguese is gorgeous. Batuka is one of her most ethnic songs she’s ever done, with the African beats and Batukadeiras singing in the chorus. Her voice is meant to be nasally because of the atmosphere of the song, like she’s part of the tribe. You replaced these songs with bonus tracks that sound great on their own, but definitely not better. Just accept the album as it is and allow these songs to come to you. Disregarding them like that is kind of disrespectful to how Madonna intended her album to be. Just saying...

It’s not disrespectful, I just don’t like them. I love 15 out of 18 tracks. I don’t have to like everything. Also, I don’t move the tracks around, just cut them. I think “Dark Ballet” has the most promise, but the overuse of vocoder on the Joan of Arc quotes makes you strain to understand the words and “Supreme hoodie” isn’t known well enough to make sense to most listeners. “Killers,” to me, is the worst track on the album, a wonderful concept with a beautiful chorus but odd verses... there is no such thing as a “native Indian” for example. “Batuka” has a good beat, but I think it could be a lot better, again, delivery and lyrics. Truthfully, the people for whom I have played the album aren’t fans of these three, either, and they very much enjoy Madonna.

i prefer a more polished pop Madonna which is why I like the bonus material more than those 3 tracks. 

I’m a huge M fan, so I love the vast majority of her work, but some things just don’t work for me.

On the other hand I am very excited about the tour and what she has in store. I think “Dark Ballet” will be an interlude and she will perform “Batuka.” “Killers” to me is a toss up.

Edited by *mlvc*

14 hours ago, Stranger 68 said:

Great that it will be online on Friday..Love Batuka!!! I hope she pull ot more Videos form MX. A Complete Video Album would be awesome imo!!!

I seen video albums from Blondie, Eurythmics/Annie Lennox, & Beyonce. Some look cheap as hell but still seeing each or most songs with a visual was outstanding. I think the plastic surgery freak made a ton of videos for Bad & Dangerous.

5 hours ago, HolidayGuy said:

"Batuka" wasn't one of my favorites when I first heard it (the repetition, but then I "got" it), but I've come to enjoy it. Looking forward to the video.

Same....Madame X is a grower type of album that needs repeated listening or seeing the visuals.