Tear Gas used Against Pride March in Istanbul

acko

https://time.com/5617924/istanbul-police-turkey-lgbt-pride-tear-gas/

ap19181569534753.jpg&w=800&c=sc&poi=face

ISTANBUL — Activists gathered in Istanbul to promote rights for gay and transgender people Sunday before police dispersed the crowd at a pride event that Turkish authorities had banned for the fifth year.

The rally on a side street to Istanbul’s main pedestrian avenue drew several hundred people, who cheered and waved rainbow flags. Istanbul Pride organizers said the Istanbul governor’s office banned the march from central Taksim district as well as a square designated for demonstrations west of the city.

Police allowed representatives to make a short statement to the media before officers dispersed the crowd with tear gas, blocking the street. Police dogs were also at the scene.

The Istanbul Pride group said it would continue activism to get sexual orientation and gender identity recognized in Turkish laws.

Amnesty International had urged Turkey to lift the “arbitrary ban” on the pride march. It said authorities rejected all suggested locations in the city by deeming the LGBT community “societally objectionable.”

3 hours ago, elijah said:

Well, its Erdogan. He systematically turned Turkey from relatively modern into a medieval country.

isn´t he losing control in some important cities?

3 hours ago, promise to try said:

isn´t he losing control in some important cities?

Yes, in Istanbul he lost the elections for a mayor notably (but his party is still the biggest in the municipal council so he can block any decision of the mayor) and other big cities (liberal) like Izmir... But Anatolia is huge and he is a godlike figure there...

On 7/1/2019 at 6:36 PM, karbatal said:

I do wonder why there isn't a Hetero Pride :rolleyes:

Every single homophobic and misogynist bastard can fuck off. 

And HOW BRAVE those freedom fighters in Istanbul. 

Exactly.  

The people who take part in Pride March in those countries where LGBTQ rights are violated or ignored have all my respect and my admiration. They show courage and give back the true meaning of the event. They are real freedom fighters. In North America, Pride March has unfortunately become for too long only a pretext for showing off months of work at the gym.

4 hours ago, Martin B. said:

The people who take part in Pride March in those countries where LGBTQ rights are violated or ignored have all my respect and my admiration. They show courage and give back the true meaning of the event. They are real freedom fighters. In North America, Pride March has unfortunately become for too long only a pretext for showing off months of work at the gym.

This.