I love "BATUKA" so much

The beats

The strings at the end

The back and forth singing with the batukadeiras

The autotune (yes it works MADAME X IS A FUTURISTIC ALBUM BITCHES)

The lyrics

Get that old man! PUT HIM IN A JAIL!!

etc. etc.

PLEASE QUEEN GIVE US THE BATUKA VIDEO (ideally after FAZ video yes please) 

The only thing i dont like about the song is that they include her autotuned vocals in the repeated parts. Is it because the batukadeiras didnt want to sing in english? 

So interesting to hear the opinions - I find myself skipping over this song. 

I think the beat, the melody and the back and forth singing is good and sonically interesting at first.I think the autotune really suits it as a great contrast to the  batukadeiras.

But after the first 2 minutes it gets very repetitive for me. There is no significant change up in the melody/song structure until the very end, and so the song strikes me as a repetitive and one note. I think I would have liked it much more if it was a 2 min 30 second song instead of almost 5 minutes - or even if the violin was an interlude in the middle. 

An integral part of the album! Batuka is so necessary and beautifully constructed. A true reflection of the global influences that run through the album. When the drums intensify the moment she says "let me catch my breath," I find myself catching my breath.

I didn't like this song when I first heard it, but now it's on repeat. I love the last two minutes! It's the Mirwais sound I've been looking for in a long time.

At the end of the day this is my favourite song from the album. It's such a powerful song. I'm actually surprised that not more people list it as their favorite. The production is so inricate. Even though the melody that runs through these lines: '' i was up all night, i said a little prayer. get that old man put him in a jail'' is the same, because there is a change of key during ''get that old man'', it seems like the melody shifts almost. I love little things like that 🙂

Guest eroticerotic

I love this song. It’s  the first song I listen to when I need a push in the morning or diving into the world of mx.

it gives me Mia and bjork.

Also there’s something raw/live about it despite the intentionally choppy/auto tuned vocal treatment that I like. Prob the messiness of it. 

I do enjoy the  military call n response song structure. 

Song has a lot of elements I really like

I just adore this song , it makes me think about what s going on with refugees in the Mediterraneo , I guess she s gonna serve another political video with this

"Batuka" was the most intense moment of my first time-listening of Madame X. I was truly mesmerized by her artistic spunk, it made me realize that this is not a typical pop album but an innovative, brave record that was badly needed from her for a long time. 

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

"Batuka" was the most intense moment of my first time-listening of Madame X. I was truly mesmerized by her artistic spunk, it made me realize that this is not a typical pop album but an innovative, brave record that was badly needed from her for a long time. 

Totally agree. 

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Likewise! Something about this song just grabbed me right away and I knew we were in for a ride. 

A standout among many ❤️

1 hour ago, Crystal Coffin said:

So true.

She never recorded anything like this. It was love at first listen for me with this song, and to think I was prepared to not like it before even lets listening to it, because of the reviews lol.

I bet when she performs this on the Madame X tour, we're all gonna sing the batukas lines, and we are going to love it.

1 hour ago, smirnoff_ice said:

Totally agree. 

1 hour ago, strictmachine said:

Likewise! Something about this song just grabbed me right away and I knew we were in for a ride. 

4 minutes ago, Andra said:

So true.

She never recorded anything like this. It was love at first listen for me with this song, and to think I was prepared to not like it before even lets listening to it, because of the reviews lol.

I bet when she performs this on the Madame X tour, we're all gonna sing the batukas lines, and we are going to love it.

When we heard the song for the first time, it was a surreal epiphany for us. Madame X gives meaning to life 

4 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I agree so much. And after watching the Madame X doc, I love this song even more (if possible). An important entry in her artistic canon.

8 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

I notice many of the songs on MX are too long and repetitive, I tend to skip them at the 4 minute mark

Your opinion sounds repetitive and I will skip it.

4 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

100% couldn't put it better myself.

10 hours ago, Shaun said:

An integral part of the album! Batuka is so necessary and beautifully constructed. A true reflection of the global influences that run through the album. When the drums intensify the moment she says "let me catch my breath," I find myself catching my breath.

This!!! 

No other in popular music - young or old - could pull off something quite like this. It's a reminder (not like we needed it) that she's on a whole other plane than her peers.

11 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

I notice many of the songs on MX are too long and repetitive, I tend to skip them at the 4 minute mark

That's one of the things I adore about this album. The music gets to develop, take its time...I've always enjoyed long songs. A shame that attention spans are next to nothing these days.