“God Control” thread. Video OUT NOW!!!

Just now, Jairo said:

CAN WE SAY THIS ERA IS ALREADY HER BEST ERA SINCE MUSIC?

Yeah. The visuals are starting to put it ahead of Confessions for me. If you told me that a year or two ago I'd think you were on hard drugs. That's how impressed I am. 

2 minutes ago, side_streets said:

But Pitchfork should stop posting anything about Madonna after their atrocious review!

Letting even the haters know increases views and exposure of song and album so. ..

Just now, Hobbit said:

sure, but it seems to me a pity because the song is as powerful as the images and in my opinion it has been pushed into the background.

But thats the point. We DONT get the enjoy her most infectious and disco song in years- and she doesnt get to make a joyful video for it- because we cant ignore the reality she is talking about in this video/ song. The song has been butchered on purpose as someone else said. 

Its so haunting- the first shots of the bedroom we see are of Discodonna while she is in the club dying.

Is Discosdonna and Poetdonna the same person? They have the same nails (not a coincidence). Is it her spirit? Is it her consciousness? Is it her in a parallel universe?

BTW, I also loved seeing M act- its been a while.

1 minute ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Yeah. The visuals are starting to put it ahead of Confessions for me. If you told me that a year or two ago I'd think you were on hard drugs. That's how impressed I am. 

Visuals way ahead of get together, jump videos by light years. 

2 minutes ago, Steve said:

Visuals way ahead of get together, jump videos by light years. 

Absolutely - and with strong music videos, the music begins to sound better too. Confessions was weakened as an era by Madonna's unwillingness to make decent music videos. Hung Up is of course hall-of-fame brilliant. But Sorry, Get Together, and Jump? WASTED OPPORTUNITIES. It was one thing to do that with Hard Candy, but Confessions was begging for videos like the ones we see now.

Madame X is the one. 

1 minute ago, Jairo said:

CAN WE SAY THIS ERA IS ALREADY HER BEST ERA SINCE MUSIC?

Yes.

To me it is starting to feel like everything after American Life and before Madame X was a digression, a wonderful raging and powerful divergence from her artistic path, but she is back on track now with the knowledge and wisdom acquired from those years.

I know Confessions is a dearly loved album and period but Madame X is the true heir and successor to the Veronica Electronica era.

Madonna calls for gun control in violent video that depicts nightclub shooting

Video scenes in God Control recall 2016 Orlando shooting that left 49 people dead, and end with the words: ‘No one is safe. Gun control. Now’

• WARNING: This video is disturbing and viewing discretion is advised

Madonna has released a graphically violent video for her new single God Control, which depicts a mass shooting heavily reminiscent of the one in Orlando’s Pulse nightclub that left 49 people dead and 53 injured in June 2016.

She makes a stark call for gun control, both in the song’s lyrics and in a written statement at the end of the video, which reads: “Every year over 36,000 Americans are killed in acts of gun violence and approximately 100,000 more are shot and injured. No one is safe. Gun control. Now.”

She also quotes civil rights activist Angela Davis: “I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept.”

The video features a tearful Madonna typing the song’s lyrics: “When they talk reforms, it makes me laugh / They pretend to help, it makes me laugh … They say that we need love / But we need more than this.” The scenes are intercut with her imagining herself at a nightclub, beginning with the gun attack and rewinding through the evening, including a scene of her being mugged at gunpoint on the way to the club.

The nightclub scenes are disturbing and bloody, depicting a gunman opening fire with an automatic rifle, and striking the attendees.

Until the October 2017 shooting at a Las Vegas music festival which killed 58, the Pulse terror attack was the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history. The gunman, Omar Mateen, was shot and killed by police during the attack – he had described himself as an “Islamic soldier” and pledged allegiance to Islamic State.

In a separate statement, Madonna said: “I want to draw attention through my platform as an artist to a problem in America that is out of control and is taking the lives of innocent people. This crisis can end if our legislators act to change the laws that fail to protect us all.

In a recent interview, Madonna said: “When you think about the amount of people who have died, been killed, have been wounded, whose lives have been changed irrevocably because of the lack of gun control in America, it’s such a huge, huge problem.” In the same interview she also championed LGBT rights and criticised recent US restrictions on abortion, saying: “We fought really hard for a lot of these freedoms and now it seems like they are all systematically being taken away ... It doesn’t make me feel hopeless. It just makes me want to fight back.”

God Control is directed by Jonas Åkerlund, who has made numerous videos with the singer beginning with Ray of Light in 1998. He has also frequently worked with Lady Gaga, Beyoncé and David Guetta.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jun/26/madonna-calls-for-gun-control-violent-video-nightclub-shooting-god-control?CMP=share_btn_tw

2 minutes ago, Steve said:

I liked Sorry song, video and pet shop boys remix but the remaining videos were very cost conscious 🤑🤣

Didn't LAV only get two videos?(not couting the live ones)

Sometimes it's about internal politics, who knows what went on. Frankly, I don't wanna cry over spoiled milk, it distracts from the now.

I'm loving this era, this is the first time since American Life that we have 4 proper videos (I don't consider Get Together from Confessions a proper video). 

The world needs to see this, she's speaking for thousands and thousands of victims not only in USA but around the world.

The difference between American Life and Madame X eras is that she has nothing to lose this time, I think during American Life it was very risky because she came from Ray Of Light and Music eras where she gained lots of love for being a "new Madonna" that even conservatives could have liked but now, she really has nothing left to prove, she does what she likes and what she feels like doing knowing that half of the media will hate ger and half will love it, she's beyond them anyways.

1 minute ago, Dany Targaryen said:

Didn't LAV only get two videos?(not couting the live ones)

Sometimes it's about internal politics, who knows what went on. Frankly, I don't wanna cry over spoiled milk, it distracts from the now.

Well of course.

I think it's relevant to bring up comparisons to past album cycles. We are all used to certain patterns from Madonna since the American Life era. Madame X has blown all of that up, in a good way. 

3 minutes ago, Querelle said:

I'm shocked. It's even more intense than American Life. This should have been her first single/video for this era.

I agree. Medellin and Crave were very safe and I get why they were chosen but wouldn't it had been awesome to start the era with this?

38 minutes ago, Jairo said:

Angela Davis, and also there's a Martha Graham picture I believe...

There's also Patti Smith

26 minutes ago, Shedoeshair said:

What are the children singing during the choir/coffin scene? 

We lost gun control?