Madame X debuts at 1 on the Billboard 200

20 minutes ago, metalissimo said:

Is Madame X still on Billboard 200 albums chart this week? 

Does it fall off Billboard 200? 

do you want it to fall off?

On 7/7/2019 at 9:22 PM, Amelia said:

Even so, the idea is that she went out of her way to really promote Rebel Heart, and it still didn't sell very well.  So I find it untrue of the claim that she "doesn't care about sales anymore". And as @horn posted and I mentioned before, no one is selling that well these days anyway. Most chart successes are mostly packed with streaming.  Unfortunately, Madonna isn't a highly stream-able act.  And I wouldn't say Madonna isn't trying to get those digital and streaming numbers, because she's been heavily promoting her latest through Spotify, Apple Music and Amazon.  And as ridiculous as some found it last album, she did take advantage of a few newer social media platforms to promote her music/videos.  She cares!  It's just the general public doesn't care. 

I think she has to go country by country, as she did with ROL, giving interviews and performances in the most important countries.It´s the way to keep MX alive for the general public

On 7/7/2019 at 7:40 PM, Je5u5 said:

too old for younger fans / too modern for older fans

She's definitely in uncharted territory with that. Can you name any other artist in that situation? Most artists stick to one formula when they get older and pander to their fans. Madonna does not do that. She's in her own category.

10 hours ago, promise to try said:

I think she has to go country by country, as she did with ROL, giving interviews and performances in the most important countries.It´s the way to keep MX alive for the general public

It is not how promotion works in the digital age, sorry. This would have worked 21 years ago, we live in a totally different age with totally different platforms and ways to reach people. As much as I enjoy seeing Madonna on TV everywhere as much as possible but the point is another one

The only thing that truly slightly perplexed me about the roll out for this era is the fact that for the first time she didn't have exclusive billing of a UK talk show

8 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

She's definitely in uncharted territory with that. Can you name any other artist in that situation? Most artists stick to one formula when they get older and pander to their fans. Madonna does not do that. She's in her own category.

Totally

10 hours ago, promise to try said:

...who ? The SupremeHoodies ? 

Edited by idro

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
12 hours ago, promise to try said:

But didn't she pretty much do that these last two eras? I know the promo performances were slim this time around, but she still did a lot of interviews that were aired throughout the world. No, she may not have gone to each country to give an interview, but they came to her. I don't think her physically going to many countries giving interviews is needed.  As some people pointed out, we live in a different age. Unless she's touring, she can do a lot in one location and have it aired/spread on social media world-wide.  That's what she's essentially doing. It makes sense too! Saves on expenses and that can be put into videos and tours.

Guest jamesshot

As has been noted, she loses and gains fans with every era. Some, she gains more than others (ROL, COADF). Plus, the drumming she gets in the press has hurt her. Her name has been tarnished.

That said, it is just she isn't a crowd pleaser( to the general public's tastes). She marches to her own beat like, for instance, in concert. She doesn't play the hits and when she does she renders them almost unrecognizable. That works for a dwindling number of people.I know many casual fans who will go see her in concert if she plays the hits. Many would buy her new stuff but they don't listen to radio or have their own  narrow genres they listen to like EDM or aren't invested in trying out new material from anyone. Many people I know, wide range of ages, are just not into current music so they listen to 60's rock to 90's hip hop.

Madonna is an artist who does what she feels gets her juices flowing. She has given us an album, Madame X, where it is obvious she was inspired. Maybe she will be inspired to do something that will please the general public. Who knows. Until then, I'd take a Madame X over a commercial hit that she feels disconnected from. 

Lastly, she isn't doing half bad commercially. She had like the 4th best opening for a female artist this year and this year is more than half way over. She is doing just fine.

1 hour ago, jamesshot said:

As has been noted, she loses and gains fans with every era. Some, she gains more than others (ROL, COADF). Plus, the drumming she gets in the press has hurt her. Her name has been tarnished.

That said, it is just she isn't a crowd pleaser( to the general public's tastes). She marches to her own beat like, for instance, in concert. She doesn't play the hits and when she does she renders them almost unrecognizable. That works for a dwindling number of people.I know many casual fans who will go see her in concert if she plays the hits. Many would buy her new stuff but they don't listen to radio or have their own  narrow genres they listen to like EDM or aren't invested in trying out new material from anyone. Many people I know, wide range of ages, are just not into current music so they listen to 60's rock to 90's hip hop.

Madonna is an artist who does what she feels gets her juices flowing. She has given us an album, Madame X, where it is obvious she was inspired. Maybe she will be inspired to do something that will please the general public. Who knows. Until then, I'd take a Madame X over a commercial hit that she feels disconnected from. 

Lastly, she isn't doing half bad commercially. She had like the 4th best opening for a female artist this year and this year is more than half way over. She is doing just fine.

EXACTLY! and she is one of the wealthiest artists in the world...so clearly she is doing just fine and will continue to march to her own drum!

Guest jamesshot

Oh, and it can't be said enough, Madame X is a #1 album in the USA so that is success! She did it going head to head with a rock God. 

1 hour ago, Supernatural said:

Madonna's doing fine. The tours finance the albums. She made the album she wanted. Doesn't have to do the country album/ soccer mom thing, thank God. 

Yep

Or talent shows

1 hour ago, Supernatural said:

Madonna's doing fine. The tours finance the albums. She made the album she wanted. Doesn't have to do the country album/ soccer mom thing, thank God. 

And what an album she made!!! 😍😍😍

7 hours ago, XXL said:

The only thing that truly slightly perplexed me about the roll out for this era is the fact that for the first time she didn't have exclusive billing of a UK talk show

I found this very odd indeed.

Surly she still commands the full hour ?

Maybe it's because she hasn't performed this time round on her TV spots......perhaps if she had agreed to perform some songs she could of negotiated a full show to herself ? 

Her appearance on Graham Norton with the other guests I felt had a negative impact on how good the interview could of been. Had she of been 1-1 with Graham it would of been better.....it felt awkward and forced at times the inter cutting with other guests didn't really flow naturally like it usually does on his shows.

But like Madonna said she's not used to sharing coaches and she wasn't about to pretend she was getting used it.

4 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I found this very odd indeed.

Surly she still commands the full hour ?

Maybe it's because she hasn't performed this time round on her TV spots......perhaps if she had agreed to perform some songs she could of negotiated a full show to herself ? 

Her appearance on Graham Norton with the other guests I felt had a negative impact on how good the interview could of been. Had she of been 1-1 with Graham it would of been better.....it felt awkward and forced at times the inter cutting with other guests didn't really flow naturally like it usually does on his shows.

But like Madonna said she's not used to sharing coaches and she wasn't about to pretend she was getting used it.

It's been said that originally the Graham Norton thing at the theater was meant to be a TV special with performances (even the signs outside the event alluded to this) but somehow it was cancelled and they had to put her last minute with the Yesterday cast, sir Ian McGandalf and Sheryl Crow to have something -anything!- in the way of UK TV promotion.

Just now, Je5u5 said:

It's been said that originally the Graham Norton thing at the theater was meant to be a TV special with performances (even the signs outside the event alluded to this) but somehow it was cancelled and they had to put her last minute with the Yesterday cast, sir Ian McGandalf and Sheryl Crow to have something -anything!- in the way of UK TV promotion.

That would explain it if true.