Great new Madonna interview with Mojo (Edit: Added the missing page!)

Guest jamesshot

Great interview. I wanted more. It is nice to hear her speak about the music making process and what goes on in her mind.

I wish she didn't interrupt his statement about her vocals on PDP. I think he was going to say her voice had a quality, before the Evita training, that was special. He was going to point out she really did have a good, unique voice pre-training. I've never understood why she was criticized for her pre-Evita vocals. CFY, LTT, , OYH, EY and, plus some live performance, proved she had a wider range and stronger voice than given credit. 

2 hours ago, Hobbit said:

what do you think of the comment about her last 3 albums? surely RH has been spoiled by the leak, but I think she refers to a kind of lack of passion / creativity, isn't it? However in her future she sees only director projects lol

Yeah that intrigued me too. Great interview. I wonder if she still has the same vocal coach who we saw in the deleted scene from IGTYAS.

I would not be surprised if after Madame X, we don't really get a studio album (in the traditional sense) from Madonna ever again. I really wouldn't. The comments about RH and MDNA were confirmation of things a lot of us already knew. 

16 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

I would not be surprised if after Madame X, we don't really get a studio album (in the traditional sense) from Madonna ever again. I really wouldn't. The comments about RH and MDNA were confirmation of things a lot of us already knew. 

Omg.  I was thinking just the opposite!  I feel the good reviews and fan response mean a lot to her, but more importantly that she feels creatively energized.  I was actually thinking maybe we wouldn’t wait as long for M15.

Of course, I could be projecting and you could very well be right, but I hope not!  

There is no experience like the release of a new Madonna album, and I hope to live through several more.

Just now, Shane said:

Omg.  I was thinking just the opposite!  I feel the good reviews and fan response mean a lot to her, but more importantly that she feels creatively energized.  I was actually thinking maybe we wouldn’t wait as long for M15.

Of course, so could be projecting and you could very well be right, but I hope not!  

There is no experience like the release of a new Madonna album, and I hope to live through several more.

Lots of rumors of there being another collection of songs coming out (like a chapter II to Madame X), so that wouldn’t surprise me. But after this era, I feel like Madonna will shed her skin in a way. I think a lot of pop stars are doing this btw, not just her. Rihanna and Beyonce are 25-30 or so years younger than Madonna but they’re not releasing music with the same formulaic label approach anymore either. 

Pop stars and actors are kind of freelancing their creativity now. The music and movie industries are kind of going tits up. 

I am kind of scared after her mentioning the three last albums and another comment about not wanting to carry on. I really, really hope she does not stop making music. Has she ever said something like that as vocally as she seems to do in this phase right now?

4 minutes ago, cruela_furlani said:

I am kind of scared after her mentioning the three last albums and another comment about not wanting to carry on. I really, really hope she does not stop making music. Has she ever said something like that as vocally as she seems to do in this phase right now?

I think that it’s not like she doesn’t want to put out new music but that she wishes to make a film but somehow that's been more tricky to do for her so she relies on Plan B: Music. 

It does look like it’s not her priority seeing the year gaps between MDNA-RH-MX.

And now that Weinstein is down, she needs a producer to bring the money.

1 hour ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

I wouldn't go that far but I do think it will be different going forward. She will not be contractually obligated to Live Nation or Interscope and I don't see her signing a big deal like that again. So, she may focus more on things, like directing. And then later on, she can still release albums or EPs independently.

Guest jamesshot

Did she make those 3 albums just to tour? 

How can a woman with the best catalog in the biz hate any songs? I say this because she doesn't sing them in their original form anyway and there are so many hits she rarely performs. 

4 hours ago, Hobbit said:

what do you think of the comment about her last 3 albums? surely RH has been spoiled by the leak, but I think she refers to a kind of lack of passion / creativity, isn't it? However in her future she sees only director projects lol

Well, with MDNA, she was definitely rushed. I bet she would have liked to spend more time editing W.E. but the Super Bowl was coming up, so she had to hurry up and make an album. And with Rebel Heart, she did not liked the writing camps and the leak was really devastating to her. Now with Madame X, she just made it because she was tired of waiting around for her movie to be made.

16 minutes ago, jamesshot said:

Did she make those 3 albums just to tour? 

How can a woman with the best catalog in the biz hate any songs? I say this because she doesn't sing them in their original form anyway and there are so many hits she rarely performs. 

She has disliked her back catalog since ROL. She relented on Re-Invention Tour but if you notice on the tours that followed, she tends to stick to the same hits that she hates the least and makes them as unrecognizable as possible.

2 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

She has disliked her back catalog since ROL. She relented on Re-Invention Tour but if you notice on the tours that followed, she tends to stick to the same hits that she hates the least and makes them as unrecognizable as possible.

I don't think she dislikes her back catalogue, I think its more love/hate and she plays on that because it keeps us all on edge. The success of ROL and Music put her in this weird head space of 'I'm too cool for school' she knew she could produce traditionally non commercial music and still sell however that's a fine balancing act particularly on tour, causal fans NEED the hits. Madonna makes it hard for herself at times and 'cuts her nose off to spite her face' to missed opportunities particularly over that past decade by ignoring her back catalogue, I think with more attention to her back catalogue between eras would engratiate her more with the general public meaning new material would be welcomed by the casual listener more so than it is. I want her to be the artist WE know she is between eras not the irritating celebrity to those who mis-understand her, which is essentially the general public. It sounds like having read that interview Madonna might realise the last decade has not been kind to her in retrospect, I mean she must wonder about leaving Warner's, the sudden decline in album sales and all that went with the last few cycles.

Edited by Who Is That Girl?

2 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I wouldn't go that far but I do think it will be different going forward. She will not be contractually obligated to Live Nation or Interscope and I don't see her signing a big deal like that again. So, she may focus more on things, like directing. And then later on, she can still release albums or EPs independently.

Well that’s basically exactly what I was getting at lol

Fascinating interview. I love when she talks about the music and important issues that matter to her like gun control. The interviewer did a great job here.

Guest jamesshot
3 hours ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

I don't think she dislikes her back catalogue, I think its more love/hate and she plays on that because it keeps us all on edge. The success of ROL and Music put her in this weird head space of 'I'm too cool for school' she knew she could produce traditionally non commercial music and still sell however that's a fine balancing act particularly on tour, causal fans NEED the hits. Madonna makes it hard for herself at times and 'cuts her nose off to spite her face' to missed opportunities particularly over that past decade by ignoring her back catalogue, I think with more attention to her back catalogue between eras would engratiate her more with the general public meaning new material would be welcomed by the casual listener more so than it is. I want her to be the artist WE know she is between eras not the irritating celebrity to those who mis-understand her, which is essentially the general public. It sounds like having read that interview Madonna might realise the last decade has not been kind to her in retrospect, I mean she must wonder about leaving Warner's, the sudden decline in album sales and all that went with the last few cycles.

Perfectly said!

My fav interview from this era, no questions about Martha Graham, Madame X personas and how David took credits for Batuka xD

45 minutes ago, M_Sinner said:

My fav interview from this era, no questions about Martha Graham, Madame X personas and how David took credits for Batuka xD

Haha, exactly. And look how easily we’re getting all these really interesting insights all of a sudden...

The comments about making music certainly can seem a bit alarming...but she has said a lot of things over the years and then changed her mind..never performing certain songs again (and yet she has), issues with touring, etc...and yet, she comes around. And who knows, she could get inspired out of anything, and then the tide changes again.

As for no longer following the old formula of creating/promoting/touring, I can definitely see that changing quite a bit, as the industry is changing for everyone. And I think she's more than earned her right to go her own way a bit more in this decade. I'm actually looking forward to her being more experimental (in more ways than one).