Madonna NYC Pride thread

1 hour ago, bardo said:

she's invested more time and energy into this album and its promotion than any other project in recent memory. she's clearly putting a lot into the performances as well. she's always been a multi-tasker and juggled many things. the bottom line is that this woman is 60 years old. she has less mental and physical energy than she used to -- yet she still does more on stage than artists half her age. 

No one is saying she hasn't invested energy or effort into this era, stop playing that card. 

She's not gonna dance her ass off anymore peeps. If you saw the MDNA tour then good for you, because that was the last time. And no, it is not ageism, it's just biology. Her pride show was great from the clips I've seen, M is more than elaborate choreographies. Love that she's bringing AL to get some audience love, the message still holds strong! Can't wait for the coming weeks of tidbits and rumors leading up to the MX tour! 

2 minutes ago, micco said:

No one is saying she hasn't invested energy or effort into this era, stop playing that card. 

maybe it's not what you meant, but you literally just said she doesn't invest as much energy and time in her career anymore. 

Think all fans should voice their opinions both positive and negative as long as it's not mean spirited! Just ignore certain folks if they're annoying.

Overall, the performance seemed like it went very well.

AL sounded very good, just a very weird song choice to me.

I'm not too crazy about Rise as a song, but seemed pretty good live. 

1 minute ago, bardo said:

maybe it's not what you meant, but you literally just said she doesn't invest as much energy and time in her career anymore. 

Performance wise. Musically and when it comes to the album it's pretty clear that she's been very invested in this project.  

Guest jamesshot
8 minutes ago, Nick said:

Think all fans should voice their opinions both positive and negative as long as it's not mean spirited! Just ignore certain folks if they're annoying.

Overall, the performance seemed like it went very well.

AL sounded very good, just a very weird song choice to me.

I'm not too crazy about Rise as a song, but seemed pretty good live. 

AL, with the right arrangement, could work very well. I liked how she sang it in the clip on pg 29. I loved the rock version from RIT. 

I agree about fans being able to voice their opinions but we have to be vigilant about trolls. This place is nice because they do good troll maintenance. We use to have Madonna "fans" who did more bashing her and praising certain pop princesses. A few would gain credibility by "stanning" for Madonna then turned viciously on her but if you called them out, they would play the "But I've always been a fan" card. 

I just did a quick browse on instagram (always a risk). From the reactions I've seen online, she seems to have impressed and thrilled and moved EVERYONE. The only place that I've read any sort of negativity is on here. You guys are really sad. 

Guest jamesshot
21 minutes ago, mamifero said:

this one has the whole thing

Ok now I've seen the whole show. I bet they wished she could have done a few more songs! You can never get enough Madonna. A 2 hr concert feels like 20 minutes so this probably felt like 2 minutes. lol

36 minutes ago, jamesshot said:

AL, with the right arrangement, could work very well. I liked how she sang it in the clip on pg 29. I loved the rock version from RIT. 

I agree about fans being able to voice their opinions but we have to be vigilant about trolls. This place is nice because they do good troll maintenance. We use to have Madonna "fans" who did more bashing her and praising certain pop princesses. A few would gain credibility by "stanning" for Madonna then turned viciously on her but if you called them out, they would play the "But I've always been a fan" card. 

I was expecting AL not to come out well yesterday, but was happy with the performance. Seem to go good with the setlist.

It's just a song that not so many people are familiar with or maybe even like. That's why it was a weird song choice to me. 

The part at the beginning of vogue where she whips her leg onto the hand rail is everything!  And there are certain parts where I was curiously reminded of keep it together performance on blond ambition.  Is it the outfit, or the way she stood or talked?  I don’t know, but it was glorious.

Edited by Bigger

Seriously now :rotfl:

Some of the complaints you can read in this thread

Are they for real?

Madonna is out of shape?

Get a clue

Be grateful she's still delivering in the astonishing capacity she does

It's like with some fans there's always something to bitch about, let those who want to enjoy this ride do it though

11 minutes ago, XXL said:

Seriously now :rotfl:

Some of the complaints you can read in this thread

Are they for real?

Madonna is out of shape?

Get a clue

Be grateful she's still delivering in the astonishing capacity she does

It's like with some fans there's always something to bitch about, let those who want to enjoy this ride do it though

❤️

I was expecting to see more coverage in the media about her performance, but feels like it's been fairly quite, but maybe I ain't searched as much as I should've, wonder what others think.  

Feel like it the performance was bad or not a good, I would've heard more negative stuff about it.

I was worried, when we first started hearing comments about the 4 songs planned.  After seeing the GC video, I'm really glad she was going to and did perform A.L.  Vogue was great and I Rise worked.

Wonder if stairs are gonna be a main feature of the tour, different type of staircases and a type writer, If Madame X travels ,it could be another Type Writer in Another Hall....totally going off topic now...I'll shut up.

Madonna’s World Pride Closing Set Was Absolutely Legendary

“We have been on this journey together, and I am so proud and honored to share this historical evening with you.”

As the sun set on Pride weekend, marking the end of the celebration of 50 years since the Stonewall Riots ignited our movement, Madonna asked the audience a question she’s been asking since 1990: “What are you looking at?” 

Yes, the Queen of Pop began her headlining set with what might be her biggest hit, “Vogue,” accompanied by a swarm of dancers all outfitted as Madame X in matching blonde wigs and trench coats. One sat at a typewriter, the sound of the keys filling in for the iconic snaps of the songs intro, flawlessly fusing her most iconic hit with her new era — in the music video for “God Control,” released last week, Madonna writes her manifesto at the very same typewriter. That marriage of her classic songs and her new material was on display throughout her entire four-song set, which also included “American Life,” “God Control,” and the anthemic “I Rise.”

The staging was beautifully choreographed and Madonna was in top form. Each song was perfectly interpreted for this exact performance. It felt special, like we were seeing a unique show that would only exist this one night. Despite the thousands of people in the crowd, it felt intimate. Between songs, Madonna spoke to the crowd, highlighting the history of Pier 97, which was once an infamous gay cruising spot. “God knows it has a lot of history.”

Wearing custom Versace — Donatella was in attendance, Madame X told us as one of her leather daddy dancers changed her shoes onstage — the Material Girl was effusive about her love for the LGBTQ+ community, reflecting on the significance of World Pride and the anniversary of Stonewall. “Fifty years people. Fifty years of revolution, 50 years of freedom fighting, 50 years of putting up with discrimination, hatred and indifference, 50 years of blood, sweat and tears, 50 years of not bowing down to fear. That’s what I’m talking about.”

“We have been on this journey together, and I am so proud and honored to share this historical evening with you,” she said. “You really don’t know. Since I came to New York as a wee little girl, I have always been embraced by queer nation. I always felt like an outsider but you made me feel like an insider. You must know how much I love and appreciate everyone here tonight. All members of the LGBTQ community. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

I had never seen Madonna live, and I’ll admit I was nervous. How could any one performer live up to the legend I’d seen in music videos my entire life? But that’s the thing about Madonna: she is that legend, and the experience was better than I ever could have anticipated.

The only disappointing part of the evening was the crowd. Madonna’s performance was so powerful and celebratory, but the energy from the audience was...well, chaotic is putting it nicely. Massive pride events like the Pride Island have steep ticket prices, which means they’re filled with the most privileged in our community, and unfortunately that air of entitlement means that anyone who isn’t a white cis muscle gay walking around shirtless can be made to feel extremely unwelcome — one friend I ran into told me how a group of white muscle gays had shoved him and called him ugly — during Pride! In our Lyft back to the W Hotel, my friend and I commiserated over how sad it was that the message of unity Madonna imparted during her set wasn’t reflected by those privileged enough to share the experience.

But what an experience it was. After speaking with Madonna ahead of Pride and hearing the emotion in her voice when she spoke about her decades of queer activism, I was struck more than ever by the surety that Madonna isn’t an ally. She’s one of us, and there’s no one I would rather have celebrated Pride with. To quote a friend, “Madame X is a faggot.”

https://www.out.com/pride/2019/7/01/madonnas-world-pride-closing-set-was-absolutely-legendary

1 hour ago, jamesshot said:

Ok now I've seen the whole show. I bet they wished she could have done a few more songs! You can never get enough Madonna. A 2 hr concert feels like 20 minutes so this probably felt like 2 minutes. lol

The only thing I have to say, and it's not a complaint. Just that with M I always want more, I have never enough. ❤️

2 hours ago, alanuk said:

LOL! I agree.

I also agree with what someone had said earlier about often the backing track being too loud, whereas we could hear her this time. I would love Madonna to bring back having her back up singers beside her supporting her and a change of band or musical director. I know a lot of us hark back to that amazing Girlie Show band, or DWT. 

I'm not a fan of using a backing track. I feel like it drowns her out. I like pure live vocals, live backup singers or just freakin' lip-syncing if you must.

2 hours ago, Phineaspoe said:

Why do we all need to think as one? Is a forum a place for discussion or a militant space where we all come and get our talking points about each aspect of our fandom? 

(Not to mention, some of the people berating a member or two for respectfully asking questions and giving their opinion are literally complaining about SJWs and related dummies’ authoritarianism in other threads.)

Unreal. 

I enjoyed the performance so much! Can’t believe she’s going to serve AL and Vogue on this tour, I am thrilled. The set list would’ve been stronger with another crowd pleaser and IDSIF, but oh well. Los Angeles cannot come soon enough. 

Yes, I get what you mean. Critical comments, those that are voiced respectfully, do deserve to have a place IMO. Sth I've always liked about the M fanbase is the variety of preferences and opinions, unlike many, and I would say, most other fan communities (of pop singers, mind you) that have pretty much turned into cults where all have to follow one line of opinion. (So also to @cocolattee, I don't see anything wrong with your post) 

The problem is unfortunately, at least from what I observed, many don't really know when the line is crossed which is why, way too often here, instead of critical respectful posts we get posts pretty much berating M and that makes reasonable discussions indeed very hard.

See, I don't think it's automatically misogynist or wrong to discuss M's aesthetic choices such as her supposed butt implants - M has been a public figure for 40 years, and obviously she's made her outward appearance a vital part of her career. So I really don't get why it should be taboo to talk about things like her body, as long as it stays respectful....sadly, some people always have to take it over the edge.

I do agree though with previous posters - even when voicing criticism, none of us should forget how spoilt we are as a fanbase. We really are in a totally unique position!

To end my ramble lol, does someone know if there's any other performance planned as of now? I think she's wrapping things up now to focus on the tour?

5 hours ago, MLVC82 said:

So here's what I think.......VOGUE was PERFECTION and a great opener...but I do feel she needed either HUNG UP, INTO THE GROOVE, EXPRESS YOURSELF or MUSIC in there...either as a closer or between god Control and I rise......this crowd was here for a PARTY and a CELEBRATION.....YES! I agree she's a freedom fighter..and she has a message...and i'm all for EVERYTHING she stands for....but she needed a PUNCH in there......a real PARTY pleaser.......just to remind everybody how much they adore her....and leave them wanting more.....

So all in all i feel this setlist was missing one more crowd pleasing spectacular number....

What do you think?

Agree completely. Music as a closer would have rounded it off perfectly, plus it’s another Mirwais song so would have fit well.

Guest jamesshot
8 minutes ago, runa said:

The only thing I have to say, and it's not a complaint. Just that with M I always want more, I have never enough. ❤️

Exactly. We need a day concert with her, all day, where she gives us a stadium barn-burner of all her hits, a small intimate gathering of album cuts, and she can throw in some comedy if she wants.

6 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I'm not a fan of using a backing track. I feel like it drowns her out. I like pure live vocals, live backup singers or just freakin' lip-syncing if you must.

I agree. Have your back up singers assist when needed or mime like Vogue from the VMAs. She can change up the vocal arrangement as well if she feels she can't reach a certain note on a particular night. I was watching something a few weeks ago where a singer (male, maybe Lionel Richie) was having an off night so he changed the vocal arrangement and it totally worked.

8 minutes ago, Nonoka said:

Yes, I get what you mean. Critical comments, those that are voiced respectfully, do deserve to have a place IMO. Sth I've always liked about the M fanbase is the variety of preferences and opinions, unlike many, and I would say, most other fan communities (of pop singers, mind you) that have pretty much turned into cults where all have to follow one line of opinion. (So also to @cocolattee, I don't see anything wrong with your post) 

The problem is unfortunately, at least from what I observed, many don't really know when the line is crossed which is why, way too often here, instead of critical respectful posts we get posts pretty much berating M and that makes reasonable discussions indeed very hard.

See, I don't think it's automatically misogynist or wrong to discuss M's aesthetic choices such as her supposed butt implants - M has been a public figure for 40 years, and her outward appearence has always been a centerpiece to her career and, let's face it, major reason why we love her too. So I really don't get why it should be taboo to talk about things like her body, as long as it stays respectful....sadly, some people always have to take it over the edge.

I do agree though with previous posters - even when voicing criticism, none of us should forget how spoilt we are as a fanbase. We really are in a totally unique position!

To end my ramble lol, does someone know if there's any other performance planned as of now? I think she's wrapping things up now to focus on the tour?

There can be hypocrisy from some, for sure. And we are spoiled.