Madonna NYC Pride thread

43 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

The gays will be singing along to American Life and loving it. They all have the rap memorized. You know it. 😅

I kinda live 4 that. U know the greatest Prince moments I had were all related to his
material from his wilderness/symbolina years, there was nothing greater than being
@his shows with other hardcore fans, singing along to some obscure album track en masse
being surrounded by his confused top40 fans from the 80's :chuckle:

5 minutes ago, acko said:

I kinda live 4 that. U know the greatest Prince moments I had were all related to his
material from his wilderness/symbolina years, there was nothing greater than being
@his shows with other hardcore fans, singing along to some obscure album track en masse
being surrounded by his confused top40 fans from the 80's :chuckle:

I still remember when most youngsters felt silent during S&S in my city when she performed Dress You Up :lmao:

2 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I still remember when most youngsters felt silent during S&S in my city when she performed Dress You Up :lmao:

Don't talk to me about S&S :chuckle: people really underestimate the effect of the crow vox.
Thank God I left the country, the morning ater her 'first' every concert here, it was Eurovision x10

15 minutes ago, acko said:

Don't talk to me about S&S :chuckle: people really underestimate the effect of the crow vox.
Thank God I left the country, the morning ater her 'first' every concert here, it was Eurovision x10

As @promise to try said a couple of days ago, we fans got the FRIGHT of our lives during the Who's That Girl tour already and the live video for Causing a Commotion. The fact that Madonna's live voice was an issue after Eurovision really surprised me! I mean, Blond Ambition was broadcasted from Barcelona to the whole Europe and let's face it, her throat was at her worst moment ever! And 2019 comes and it gets viral. I blame the stupid social media. 

4 minutes ago, karbatal said:

As @promise to try said a couple of days ago, we fans got the FRIGHT of our lives during the Who's That Girl tour already and the live video for Causing a Commotion. The fact that Madonna's live voice was an issue after Eurovision really surprised me! I mean, Blond Ambition was broadcasted from Barcelona to the whole Europe and let's face it, her throat was at her worst moment ever! And 2019 comes and it gets viral. I blame the stupid social media. 

Exactly! I’ve discussed this with fellow fans regarding past performances. I remember watching the VMAs in 1987. It was the first time I had that “Oh no. What will people think” feeling...When I was a kid I was acutely aware that in Ciao Italia she sounded rough in comparison to her studio vocals, but with hindsight, the athleticism of her performance and her command of the stage were actually emboldened by the forcefulness of her voice with all its limitations and idiosyncratic expressions. That continues to be the case for me, but there is a level of negative mass hysteria that permeates the dialogue because of social media that drowns out rationalism and objectivity, both positive and negative.

10 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

Exactly! I’ve discussed this with fellow fans regarding past performances. I remember watching the VMAs in 1987. It was the first time I had that “Oh no. What will people think” feeling...When I was a kid I was acutely aware that in Ciao Italia she sounded rough in comparison to her studio vocals, but with hindsight, the athleticism of her performance and her command of the stage were actually emboldened by the forcefulness of her voice with all its limitations and idiosyncratic expressions. That continues to be the case for me, but there is a level of negative mass hysteria that permeates the dialogue because of social media that drowns out rationalism and objectivity, both positive and negative.

The CIAO ITALIA broadcast in Europe is single handedly responsible 4 the 'Madonna Can't SIng Live' reputation in Europe. I've said this before.
I know a lot of girls under the age of 10 at the time who handed in their fan cards, after... and gave me all their scrap books. :rotfl:

My mother was shocked too :rotfl:

14 minutes ago, acko said:

The CIAO ITALIA broadcast in Europe is single handedly responsible 4 the 'Madonna Can't SIng Live' reputation in Europe. I've said this before.
I know a lot girls under the age of 10 at the time who handed in their fan cards, after... and gave me all their scrap books. :rotfl:

My mother was shocked too :rotfl:

Yup!!! 😝 And Blond Ambition was the same...I was living in France when they broadcast the Barcelona show as @karbatal mentioned. I watched it with two high school friends and one of their parents, and while the production was more than impressive, the shock at her vocals was palpable! The immediate reinforcement was that she was an expert entertainer who couldn’t sing, and who used a lot of metaphorical “pyrotechnics” to make up for her weaknesses. I don’t think that ever changed in most casual observers’ eyes, and they were accepting of that. Then Madonna got critical acclaim after a tough few years of public flogging and I think we as a fanbase got a little cocky and started to curate Madonna’s vocal output selectively because we had enough fine examples of her at the best of her ability. It’s just a theory, but I feel that as social media seems to blur the line between opinion and fact, we have just fallen further into tribalism based upon whatever we all want to believe. Madonna seems acutely aware of this, and I admire her capacity to keep moving forward in spite of all the noise. It’s a choice to not be swayed by public demand and opinion, but I understand it as a strength, not a weakness. 

Edited by Herfaceremains

54 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Blond Ambition certainly had fucked up, throaty, rough as sandpaper power vox (and I LOVE IT) but they were at least IN TUNE. 

No comparison to that Eurovision debacle imo.

12 minutes ago, Ladyplus said:

Was this in tune ? ... 🙉

Crow'ish voice or not, nobody cared as she was performing a MONSTER HIT and had so much energy and put on the best show of the night.

32 minutes ago, Ladyplus said:

Was this in tune ? ... 🙉

Oh for fuck's sake here comes the stupid comparison again to defend her Eurovishit calamity? THAT is a banging performance of a monster new hit which successfully launched an era, not her butchering a classic song by blabbering like someone who cannot hold a single note over karaoke "music". 

...comparing one of her most energetic performances of her maybe biggest hit (at least in Europe) who had the audience on their feet with her Eurovision performance is just not ok

If you want to have a deep, meaningful, political moment at pride that’s totally cool but then hold it an appropriately political event not at PRIDE ISLAND!? There’s just zero point in doing this when you know your audience is going to mostly be made up of people high off their face on molly looking to dance, hook up and have a wild time. No judgement with any of that but it’s just gonna go over like a lead balloon and all the talk of it is gonna be what a total fucking buzzkill Madonna was instead of how brilliant she is...