Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, gugarko said:

Does being album of the week on Radio2, generally, help the sales? Just asking 😉

Well it won't do it any harm... it will be good to hear some new Madonna on UK radio.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gugarko said:

Does being album of the week on Radio2, generally, help the sales? Just asking 😉

It will help more than her recent PR appearances 😂

I think it will definitely help if they play the really popular tracks. Many casual music fans just need to hear a few tracks to make a purchase at a supermarket.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kim said:

I don't understand why you're STILL not getting this.

If every UK poster tells you that Eurovision had a disastrous REAL WORLD (ie not just social media) effect on her reputation then maybe you should listen, no?

As far as Springsteen goes (and there couldn't be a more apt or telling chart battle than these two) he's been able to make the big bucks from his stage act while still maintaining his long term record deal and all the benefits that brings him. Madonna should have taken note and then maybe she wouldn't be floundering (and not just in the UK but all across Europe).

I've kept quiet about this topic, but I think you're right Kim. A few people I've spoken to at work, out and about etc have said they won't be bothering with her album after her Eurovision performance, just the other day I asked a work colleague if he was going to get Madame X, he has often stuck up for Madonna over the past few years, he replied "not after that awful Eurovision performance, that song was terrible, did you see it?" So I agree with you Kim, I think it has effected her reputation this era.

Regarding promo / Kylie, there was a heavy push on release week of Golden, Stop Me From Falling and Dancing were playing constantly on Radio 2, I'd hear them several times a day for the entire week, there was even a push to get Dancing in to the Top 40 with that digital bundle deal. Granted, Madonna covers far more ground than Kylie, but surely a label should be able to push an album without Madonna necessarily doing performances? I've heard people saying there's an advert on TV for the album, I haven't seen this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acko said:

I was just gonna post that @Kim, Eurovision was not some bad perfomance on a Televisied Award Show,
regardless of the shitty musical content, I do'nt think some people grasp the resonance
that show has in terms public perception. Her reputation was basically MURDERED that night.

I just spent an inordinate amount of time catching up on that (now closed) god awful PRIDE thread. A performance people haven't even seen yet and that no one but a bunch of poppered up old gays will see or care about, and the sky might as well be falling. Yet when we raised out legitimate concerns about this piece of EVENT television that went out to 200 million households, we were all over reacting. Give me strength.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim said:

I just spent an inordinate amount of time catching up on that (now closed) god awful PRIDE thread. A performance people haven't even seen yet and that no one but a bunch of poppered up old gays will see or care about, and the sky might as well be falling. Yet when we raised out legitimate concerns about this piece of EVENT television that went out to 200 million households, we were all over reacting. Give me strength.

:chuckle::rotfl:

I wasn't Lossst...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim said:

I just spent an inordinate amount of time catching up on that (now closed) god awful PRIDE thread. A performance people haven't even seen yet and that no one but a bunch of poppered up old gays will see or care about, and the sky might as well be falling. Yet when we raised out legitimate concerns about this piece of EVENT television that went out to 200 million households, we were all over reacting. Give me strength.

:thumbsup:Yes, people were told off for expressing sadness over the vocals and cared about Madonna. Told off on mass. In contrast, The Pride thread was full of horrible comments about Madonna herself and it has not even been performed yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kim said:

I just spent an inordinate amount of time catching up on that (now closed) god awful PRIDE thread. A performance people haven't even seen yet and that no one but a bunch of poppered up old gays will see or care about, and the sky might as well be falling. Yet when we raised out legitimate concerns about this piece of EVENT television that went out to 200 million households, we were all over reacting. Give me strength.

This is true. A lot of people watch Eurovision, even people who don't care about music at all. It's like a ritual. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Trust me, I understand now (re: Europe, Madonna, Eurovision). 😕 

So what u r doing in VEGAS, I been meaning to ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, tasteinmen said:

I've kept quiet about this topic, but I think you're right Kim. A few people I've spoken to at work, out and about etc have said they won't be bothering with her album after her Eurovision performance, just the other day I asked a work colleague if he was going to get Madame X, he has often stuck up for Madonna over the past few years, he replied "not after that awful Eurovision performance, that song was terrible, did you see it?" So I agree with you Kim, I think it has effected her reputation this era.

Regarding promo / Kylie, there was a heavy push on release week of Golden, Stop Me From Falling and Dancing were playing constantly on Radio 2, I'd hear them several times a day for the entire week, there was even a push to get Dancing in to the Top 40 with that digital bundle deal. Granted, Madonna covers far more ground than Kylie, but surely a label should be able to push an album without Madonna necessarily doing performances? I've heard people saying there's an advert on TV for the album, I haven't seen this.

I agree with all this! It was very telling btw that so many UK /Euro posters just went quiet after Eurovision, but yes,  the difference here is that I think every one of us had a real life example of someone reacting negatively to something Madonna has done. We're all used to the social media bullshit, but to have friends/family/workmates making disparaging comments is a first for me, or at least the first in many years!

You couldn't get away from kylie for about a fortnight after her album was out.  They definitely played the promo game well. The fact of the matter is I've seen Madonna once and heard her zero times all through release week. Shocking state of affairs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we were all shocked, in dismay and there was so much invested in the hype that the fallout felt deeply personal. I don’t even remember my perspective at the time anymore other than a feeling of being disappointed, but I agree with you that the performance hindered her promotional rollout enormously. It was a huge misstep. But I still love Future, and wanted so much for it to play universally. We are all fighting over the same thing at the end of the day. We wanted Madonna to be universally embraced and for this to be perceived as an official third-coming, but the new material isn’t getting heard because of all of the negative fallout. But I still have hope that she is being true to her artistic vision and that is fundamentally important to me as a fan, and I hope it translates via something she has yet to reveal via performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

*insert Vegas cliche metaphor about gambling*

Lol hustling is a great word. I’m in university out here. Hustling for 2 bachelors degrees.

That's great ! :kiss2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, aeroco said:

Wednesday Update: Top 5 Albums
1 Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars (44,139) *
2 Madonna - Madame X (24,038) *
3 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish (16,734)
4 Bastille - Doom Days (13,782) *
5 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (7,383) *
 

damn - disappointing sales for M in the U.K. I fear in Australia she is going to chart even lower and with weak sales. 

And the album is going to drop fast too as there is no airplay or performances to keep it afloat, which is such a shame given how great it is

Link to post
Share on other sites

eurovision has really hurt her here. you're only as good as your last good performance really.

 

that said, it's all to play for, she has a brilliant album under her belt she just needs to get out there and promote it and reconnect.

it's madonna, it's never really "over" but she has ground to make up here

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carey said:

eurovision has really hurt her here. you're only as good as your last good performance really.

 

that said, it's all to play for, she has a brilliant album under her belt she just needs to get out there and promote it and reconnect.

it's madonna, it's never really "over" but she has ground to make up here

This is why she should have been doing other live performances to show that was just a misstep. She should have performed on Graham Norton and done other shows over the world. Alas she still believes the BBMAs and Eurovision are enough to sell an album, one only seen in America and one critically panned. She's performing at Pride but how many of the general public are going to see it, even on YouTube if it's put on there. All these factors are why she needs new management, there is no proper strategy. Why release Medellín remixes on the same day as the album and 2 months after the single is released? It's nonsense...

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, metalissimo said:

Western Stars is 20k more than Madame X. 

Thats a lot 

Bruce Springsteen has a very, incredibly big fan base, which is turning out being more loyal than Madonna's. Bruce still fills ARENAS in several cities in Spain whenever he tours. You can't compare both artists, they are so different, but I wish Madonna had kept her tours as organic as Bruce's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Carey said:

...that said, it's all to play for, she has a brilliant album under her belt she just needs to get out there and promote it and reconnect.

But she's not gonna do that though, is she?

12 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Bruce Springsteen has a very, incredibly big fan base, which is turning out being more loyal than Madonna's. Bruce still fills ARENAS in several cities in Spain whenever he tours. You can't compare both artists, they are so different, but I wish Madonna had kept her tours as organic as Bruce's. 

Well you used to be able to compare them both. The fact Madonna's fallen behind in the "legend artist" stakes is all her own (as in her terrible business decisions) doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Bruce Springsteen has a very, incredibly big fan base, which is turning out being more loyal than Madonna's. Bruce still fills ARENAS in several cities in Spain whenever he tours. You can't compare both artists, they are so different, but I wish Madonna had kept her tours as organic as Bruce's. 

Does Bruce actually has obsessed loyal stans like us who sit on the forum every day talking about him? I'd rather believe he has the general public's love and respect on his side, unlike Madonna.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andra said:

Does Bruce actually has obsessed loyal stans like us who sit on the forum every day talking about him? I'd rather believe he has the general public's love and respect on his side, unlike Madonna.

Nope. They are people who didn't stop buying his albums. A Bruce fan from the 80s may very well still be buying the album nowadays.The same with concerts. But let's face it, being a man helps BIG TIME. Any other woman would have been kept in the drawer but a man can be approaching 70, still doing the same music as 35 years ago and nobody jokes on him being in a retirement home or taking viagra. Tina Turner in her 50s was already called The Grandma of Rock, whereas Rolling Stones were so hip and trendy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awful figures , 4000 people downloaded the album out of 60million population . Very poor. But while it’s all doom and gloom again don’t be fooled in thinking Bruce won’t  drop like a rock next week too , he’s already starting to . Father’s Day really helped him , every store ( that still sells cds) had towers of stands and advertising for Father’s Day to buy his cd . It was out beside hallmark cards and mugs in Tesco for example. 

Who knows if god control is released or pride goes half decent Madame X won’t leave the top 100 chart next Friday .  I agree with you all though despite it doing nothing for Rebel heart if she had given a good performance SOMEWHERE the lingering hate from Eurovision wouldn’t be as present .

Edited by RyanAnth4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruce is a safe artist, he makes the same type of music with slight variations, and he is not polarizing like Madonna. He’s also male...although nearly a decade older than her, he is often called distinguished whereas she is called desperate. Although Bruce has political opinions, he has not championed very unpopular topics like she has either. He’s not vocal in the way she is, and no one changes musical styles like she does. Thankfully she does not stick to one formula and takes risks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...