Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion

I think she is too old for the younger generation and her music is too current and young for the older generation. So nobody listens to her new music other than the fans. This is her problem.

3 minutes ago, smirnoff_ice said:

I think she is too old for the younger generation and her music is too current and young for the older generation. So nobody listens to her new music other than the fans. This is her problem.

I totally agree with this.

2 hours ago, Titty said:

Haha.... I'm in my 40s and thought of radio 2 sends shivers down my spine 🙂

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we need the kids (people in their 20s) to hear it - and kids listen to trash like Capital etc... she needs a radio hit that gets played on local radio stations as well as national one.

Her problem is that her music is geared towards the younger generation but they don't get to hear it because she is thought of as too old.

What to do?

Radio 2 is great. The music they play is so diverse and you hear some really random songs. It's not like it was and it's pitched at us forties types. I've discovered so many great songs both old and new there. I've heard Billie Eilish, Janelle Monae and Lizzo on there too.

So much better than the car crash of radio 1.

46 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Radio 2 is great. The music they play is so diverse and you hear some really random songs. It's not like it was and it's pitched at us forties types. I've discovered so many great songs both old and new there. I've heard Billie Eilish, Janelle Monae and Lizzo on there too.

So much better than the car crash of radio 1.

I agree, I discover lots of gems on Radio 2, Shazam is in use quite a lot. I discovered Bananarama's new single on Radio 2 is an absolute bop just the other day, I was reluctant to listen to them before this.

4 hours ago, smirnoff_ice said:

This is very true and actually has been for a while now! As long as she's producing quality like MX though, I think this is something we kind of need to get over at this point. I understand with someone like M who pretty much dominated the charts for 30 yrs it's a bitter pill to swallow but I think it's something we as a fanbase need to sort of move past because......it's not getting any easier from here on that front. 

Time to fine tune expectations and celebrate the smaller victories.....not that a #2 album in UK or #1 album in US is a "small victory".....that's pretty fucking major for anyone now. As far as single success goes though, that ship has sailed. Hopefully, next era expectations won't be as unrealistic.

29 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

This is very true and actually has been for a while now! As long as she's producing quality like MX though, I think this is something we kind of need to get over at this point. I understand with someone like M who pretty much dominated the charts for 30 yrs it's a bitter pill to swallow but I think it's something we as a fanbase need to sort of move past because......it's not getting any easier from here on that front. 

Time to fine tune expectations and celebrate the smaller victories.....not that a #2 album in UK or #1 album in US is a "small victory".....that's pretty fucking major for anyone now. As far as single success goes though, that ship has sailed. Hopefully, next era expectations won't be as unrealistic.

Totally true. It is just a shame that such good quality music doesn't reach to a bigger audience. She so deserves it but oh well. 

I think we've also been very spoilt with her overall chart success over the decades that it almost feels surreal how she is ignored now.

6 hours ago, Titty said:

Can't believe it's nearly out of the Top 50 on Itunes.

Fingers crossed God Control gets some exposure - and not just Radio 2.  Unfortunately it's only over 50's that listen to that station.

You're about 20 years out of date. Radio 2 is now the bigger station with a target audience of 28 and over. Radio 1 is a kiddie station.

And no, God Control will get little to no exposure. It's pretty obvious at this point that no one outwith her shrinking core fanbase here actually cares.

It’d be great if they pushed “God Control” as a proper single release in the UK, seeing as “Crave” didn’t even get a chance.

I think the general public would totally embrace a new M Disco song, even if they don’t understand it’s underlining message 

7 hours ago, Titty said:

Can't believe it's nearly out of the Top 50 on Itunes.

Fingers crossed God Control gets some exposure - and not just Radio 2.  Unfortunately it's only over 50's that listen to that station.

The album is 14 in the midweeks for the UK so if its out of the top 50 on itunes that should tell you Itunes is irrelevant.

10 minutes ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

The album is 14 in the midweeks for the UK so if its out of the top 50 on itunes that should tell you Itunes is irrelevant.

Yep, more CDs were purchased last year than iTunes Store downloads.

1 hour ago, Kurt420 said:

As usual you make a lot of sense. Pity some fans ascribe all the blame to Madonna with regard to lack of airplay etc

I wonder how the video will effect the album charts in UK. It seems that fantastic video is getting very good responce in UK. I was hoping the song would be added to radio 2 but no. Yet they A list Kylie's shit of a song NYC. Oh well, maybe next wednesday they will add the song, given the huge positive reaction and attention the song is getting. If not... still her best effort in years. Amazing woman.

22 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

It is strange to think her singles don't make much impact anymore, especially when she always effortlessly got a hit in the UK up to Celebration, but things have changed, streaming has turned the charts upside down, and Interscope literally distribute the product as bare minimal as possible. It's not just Madonna though, Pet Shop Boys, Kylie, Janet, Depeche Mode, even Bruce etc, have no charting top 40 singles in the past few years (except Dancing, which was due to a major push, and literally scraped number 40), but... their albums do sell, and quite well, which means there is still a big fan base, who will buy the album on the day of release.

Like you, at this point, my main focus is simply on the amazing album we have just received, the beautiful visuals, and an exciting new tour upon us. 

3 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

I wonder how the video will effect the album charts in UK. It seems that fantastic video is getting very good responce in UK. I was hoping the song would be added to radio 2 but no. Yet they A list Kylie's shit of a song NYC. Oh well, maybe next wednesday they will add the song, given the huge positive reaction and attention the song is getting. If not... still her best effort in years. Amazing woman.

But has the song actually been confirmed as a proper single? 

The video came late last night so too late for the Wednesday add anyway.

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

But has the song actually been confirmed as a proper single? 

The video came late last night so too late for the Wednesday add anyway.

True, I guess we will just see

X-Factor Winner Will Young will snatch that UK #1 album. He should be grateful Madame X didn't push her release date the same week as him.

God Control is a great song but it's not single material. I love that she released it though. As has been said a million times here: for Madonnas team it's not about hit singles anymore, it's about album sales and ticket sales. Madonna does what she wants this time around. She wants to focus on the messages and artistic value. Reading the Mojo interview makes it clear that she is not interested in chasing pophits. She clearly didn't enjoy making the last three albums, with this album however her inspiration and energy is back. Thank you universe!

10 minutes ago, loveperanders said:

God Control is a great song but it's not single material.

I couldnt disagree more. Actually I think its the obvious 1st single WITH THAT video :). That or I Dont Search I Find.

I think if she wants a radio hit she needs to release Crazy, that would cater for the older audience and may even reach the younger ones too.

I don’t think there are any obvious singles and that’s a good thing in my opinion. I think Medellín was probably a good choice. God Control is too good to be misunderstood and under appreciated by the general public. 

Bruce's album had far more conventional promo in the form of posters, ads etc. than Madame X did but also I think the UK is generally not interested in her anymore.

People still think one MX song has more chance to become a radio hit than the other one. When will we realise whatever she releases, it is extremely unlikely to become a hit. Crazy or GC or anything else.

1 hour ago, smirnoff_ice said:

People still think one MX song has more chance to become a radio hit than the other one. When will we realise whatever she releases, it is extremely unlikely to become a hit. Crazy or GC or anything else.

+1

1 hour ago, DreamTheater said:

Album falls to 14 on its second week. On the sales chart it's at number 9.

And Bruce falls only 2 positions to 3. She lost her fanbase in UK. Unbelievable.