Madame X - - UK Chart/General Promo Discussion

42 minutes ago, Amelia said:

I don't see it as a disappointment. #2 isn't something to sneeze about. I know some haters will use it for whatever reason to further their hate agenda, but I have to remember Madonna is a world artist.  Madame X will still hit #1 in other regions.  I think the real achievement here is that she actually hit #1 in her home country.  I was expecting Bruce to do so.  At this point it's all about the touring anyway.  She's already sold out in most areas.  

Indeed! I'm impressed that both are topping charts long after their reigns were to end. May we all be so fortunate doing something we love in the Autumn of our lives. 

3 hours ago, Carta said:

Madonna will be ripped apart by the press for her #2 debut (in spite of the strong sales) and Bruce will be lauded, whereas if their chart positions had been reversed, Bruce would have been praised for his strong debut.  For someone whose reputation was apparently "destroyed" a month ago, a #2 debut with sales that would be enough for a #1 debut in most other weeks is actually really impressive...

Well said!

2 hours ago, reQuiem4adream said:

What else is new? Remember when Music was going to debut at #2? The headline was like "The Day The Music Dies."

:chuckle:

Pathetic really. Sometimes a part of the fandom fuels this type of attitude, unfortunately, oh well

Also, I'd like to point out that Springsteen's level of stardom is not on a par with Madonna at all. They may as well be "two US veteran acts" but the intensity and frequency of Madonna's career is on a whole other plane of existence worldwide. Madonna is scrutinized and attacked together with revered 24/7 for the past 36 years. Sometimes for things that have got nothing to do with the merit of her work

And yes like others have said there is a tinge of sexism in even giving the news that "our boy did it"

2 hours ago, Dr Lecter said:

Erotica was number two and it’s my favourite album ever 

Exactly

Of course we always want to see Madonna do well on radio and on the charts but I'm not going to slit my wrists at a #2 debut which is doing well, more than "well" in fact, also in light of additional external circumstances

3 hours ago, Carta said:

Madonna will be ripped apart by the press for her #2 debut (in spite of the strong sales) and Bruce will be lauded, whereas if their chart positions had been reversed, Bruce would have been praised for his strong debut.

And this above all

4 hours ago, Morrigan said:

I think M made powerful enemiess in the U. K. since she released W. E. and divorced Guy RATchie.

😬 No, she ditched Warner's and went with Live Nation who weren't set up to support record promotion.

Nobody gives a flying toss about Guy Richie here! He really doesn't have any influence on the media.

She then released ropey songs such as revolver, GMAYL, GGW and TUTR and turned up late for concerts. 

Finally, she got old and her fanbase don't stream.

She still got really good sales this week and her tour is doing well, I think.

🤷

33 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Finally, she got old and her fanbase don't stream.

I Don't Stream I Buy

I couldn't resist, I do stream really, I've been streaming Madame X all week.

The numbers aren't bad, and being it other week, she would get that number 1.

It's undeniable that Eurovision was a missed opportunity, and totally had the opposite impact of what was intended. It's unfortunate, but there's nothing we can do. I'm actually surprised she got these numbers considering all the media brouhaha that following Eurovision, with claims that her career was over, special segments in all the morning shows, and think pieces on all major publications, which truly felt has if the UK had completely turned their back on her.

This just proves that those who love Madonna will be there for her, and that she still has a strong fanbase in the UK. 

31 minutes ago, tasteinmen said:

I Don't Stream I Buy

I couldn't resist, I do stream really, I've been streaming Madame X all week.

I'm the same. I only stream Madonna to help her out. Everything else I buy or get off the web. 

DOES any of it REALLY MATTER!!! Madonna IS the MOST FAMOUS woman in the world.. STILL!!!! After the HORRENDOUS media smear over the last few years notably the last decade she can still dominate in an industry that is dying when it comes to record sales. Madame X is a STELLAR album and will be remembered as such and will like go down as a cult album loved by fans in the twilight of her career. Madonna has made the music she will be remembered for 1982 - 2005, let's be honest REALLY remembered. This album and anything that is to follow is icing on the cake. I do BELIEVE in my soul (dramatic yes LOL) that there have been some BAD decisions made by her and her team over the last decade that could have impacted what may have been greater sales HOWEVER she traded commercial album/single success for touring success, it certainly paid off for the latter. I know Madonna will do what Madonna wants to do but I do see Madame X as possible turning point for her public reputation. This is a chance for Madonna to re-engage with the casual fan and general public, she was always the ice queen unfortunately the last few years has seen her become the crazy old ice queen BUT then Madame X happened and no one expected it to be so well received. Let's hope Madonna builds on this and is now viewed as a musical artist between eras and not a celebrity. 

5 hours ago, dollhouse said:

Queen of no.2's

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. ;-(

Kylie had three very radio friendly singles and focused her promotion on the UK, doing almost every TV show going. I've been a fan of Kylie on and off throughout her career. Didn't like her last album much at all but it was perfect radio 2 fodder and I can see why it did well. 

As a UK fan, I'm disappointed Madame X didn't get to no.1 as I've always been so proud of her chart success here, but if you'd asked me to choose a UK or US no.1, I would have said US - it's the biggest market and it adds to her tally there.

I'm pleased for her. And to be fair, good on Bruce. I would have been much more disappointed if Bastille had beaten her. 

I do think a UK no.1 was achievable though, even against Bruce. We won't get into Eurovision again but it's crazy she didn't do at least one other UK performance. Having said that, with Rebel Heart she did the Brits and two songs on Jonathan Ross and it was a similar scenario. 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, reQuiem4adream said:

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. ;-(

Except the 12 times she has had no.1 albums in the UK? The only people who have more UK number one albums than her are Elvis at 13 and The Beatles with 15 she has plenty of time to catch up an surpass them. 

Source

Will young knew what he was doing , postponed his release by a week amd

now he’s going to be no.1 with around half the sales of Madame X . Just saying it’s another missed opportunity. I saw Bruce Springsteen down every aisle of Tesco , yes supermarkets , beside mugs , toilet tissues, beside photo frames , beside cards . All with “pick up your Father’s Day cd “ stands . 

10 hours ago, RyanAnth4 said:

Will young knew what he was doing , postponed his release by a week amd

now he’s going to be no.1 with around half the sales of Madame X . Just saying it’s another missed opportunity. I saw Bruce Springsteen down every aisle of Tesco , yes supermarkets , beside mugs , toilet tissues, beside photo frames , beside cards . All with “pick up your Father’s Day cd “ stands . 

I know I saw it as well. She got screwed by Mother's Day last time in 2015, now Father's Day. Her team needs to do some research before and should have convinced her to release the album a month earlier. I think the long wait from Medellín didn't help, also not releasing all the remixes for two months and nothing else for the other songs. The following music videos haven't really had great viewing figures on YouTube compared to Medellín. She also needed to do more performances and God Control should be out now. Her team still thinks it's 30 years ago, a week is now like a month.

Get God Control put out NOW

If she's not going to show case the album with performances and radio play, she needs to get the videos she has released out there to the public 

1 hour ago, stevo208 said:

Get God Control put out NOW

If she's not going to show case the album with performances and radio play, she needs to get the videos she has released out there to the public 

That is what I am saying. I can not understand the silence after the album release. You have a video ready to go..what are you holding it for? It's not like her team is like Swift's team who have deals with networks to play her music and videos during their popular shows. Swifts single played before loveisland in the UK. ABC always gives her top billing with their popular shows.

I do not get what Madonna's team is doing half the time. Their logic escapes me. 

1 hour ago, Rebel Saviour said:

When is the first midweek published? The Deluxe is holding at 31 on Uk itunes.

Sometime today in the UK. Might be 6. Given that physicals made up the majority, that week be the most important. Hmv literally only had 2 vinyl copies and another independent record shop had sold out so hopefully it will hold up.

1 hour ago, Rebel Saviour said:

When is the first midweek published? The Deluxe is holding at 31 on Uk itunes.

The OCC gives an official midweek today between 5.30 and 5.45; bear in mind we might not get to know the position of Madame X as not all entries are listed today.

4 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Sometime today in the UK. Might be 6. Given that physicals made up the majority, that week be the most important. Hmv literally only had 2 vinyl copies and another independent record shop had sold out so hopefully it will hold up.

1 minute ago, stevo208 said:

The OCC gives an official midweek today between 5.30 and 5.45; bear in mind we might not get to know the position of Madame X as not all entries are listed today.

Thanks!

As someone who works for the Beeb, I know for a fact that the pointless Alexandre Palace thing was supposed to be a primetime BBC One special. Would have been under the "At the BBC" strand similar to what Adele did a few years back and Arianna Grande last year. Look up on YouTube.

She would have performed five or six songs, did a sketch and Graham would have interviewed her in between. Venue was booked, Graham was booked, air date was circulating here in house. Would have given her a huge boost in the UK on release week. 

Then it was cancelled 

My speculation, and what others think... Eurovision went down so so badly, either the BBC didn't want to take the risk (unlikely she's still a huge ratings draw and gave Eurovision a major boost and added around 500,000 viewers to Graham last week). Or, and this is ridiculous, but her team (is there even a team?) cancelled because of damage limitation. Funny enough, she hasn't picked up a mic to sing since, so she's obviously aware of the whole thing. 

She honoured her commitment somewhat by turning upto the Ally Pally thing, and so did Graham. Neither would have been paid from the BBC so did it for free. All good but utterly pointless in terms of promo. Wasn't even filmed. 

They shoehorned her on Graham's chat show at the 11th hour because there was nothing else. I imagine she could have got the full hour again, and not suffer the indignity of sitting next to someone who used to be in Eastenders, Again, she (or someone) was reluctant to appear after Eurovision, which is why they didn't even promote her appearance and no time to plan a video montage of her career before she appeared. Hence, the strange cold opening. Whole thing was so poorly planned. 

Yes so how do you solve the problem of Madonna UK promo? 

My opinion only: I wouldn't have bothered with any perfomances this time around. She's just not connecting here, despite her new PR team doing a decent job. (Notice all the puff pieces in the Sun and, shockingly, the Mail this campaign. Money talks.) 

Would have concentrated on a huge TV ad campaign instead. A few posters on the Tube didn't cut it. I'm inclined to belive she doesn't have a personal promo team any more. Not a single person. Shocking. 

36 minutes ago, Jeby said:

Radio2 Made it Album of the week so are they playing tracks from it this week or? 

It is listed as album of the week but so far only I Rise was played (this morning). I assumed that a track from the album would be played on each programme throughout the day to showcase the album.

58 minutes ago, Braby said:

As someone who works for the Beeb, I know for a fact that the pointless Alexandre Palace thing was supposed to be a primetime BBC One special. Would have been under the "At the BBC" strand similar to what Adele did a few years back and Arianna Grande last year. Look up on YouTube.

She would have performed five or six songs, did a sketch and Graham would have interviewed her in between. Venue was booked, Graham was booked, air date was circulating here in house. Would have given her a huge boost in the UK on release week. 

Then it was cancelled 

My speculation, and what others think... Eurovision went down so so badly, either the BBC didn't want to take the risk (unlikely she's still a huge ratings draw and gave Eurovision a major boost and added around 500,000 viewers to Graham last week). Or, and this is ridiculous, but her team (is there even a team?) cancelled because of damage limitation. Funny enough, she hasn't picked up a mic to sing since, so she's obviously aware of the whole thing. 

She honoured her commitment somewhat by turning upto the Ally Pally thing, and so did Graham. Neither would have been paid from the BBC so did it for free. All good but utterly pointless in terms of promo. Wasn't even filmed. 

They shoehorned her on Graham's chat show at the 11th hour because there was nothing else. I imagine she could have got the full hour again, and not suffer the indignity of sitting next to someone who used to be in Eastenders, Again, she (or someone) was reluctant to appear after Eurovision, which is why they didn't even promote her appearance and no time to plan a video montage of her career before she appeared. Hence, the strange cold opening. Whole thing was so poorly planned. 

My opinion only: I wouldn't have bothered with any perfomances this time around. She's just not connecting here, despite her new PR team doing a decent job. (Notice all the puff pieces in the Sun and, shockingly, the Mail this campaign. Money talks.) 

Would have concentrated on a huge TV ad campaign instead. A few posters on the Tube didn't cut it. I'm inclined to belive she doesn't have a personal promo team any more. Not a single person. Shocking. 

If that's true, fuck BBC and fuck Eurovision. . It's a shitty and trashy show that Madonna elevated with her controversial and brave political performance. The overraction for some bad notes still baffles me.  It almost seems like Uk cares for Eurovision more than Brexit. Madame X is not sorry and absolutely no regrets. I love how she doesn't give a shit and said nothing about the performance.

59 minutes ago, Braby said:

Then it was cancelled 

I feel you. Eurovision went ugly in Europe. She feels more and more insecure to perform on live TV. That's what she did after that damn Eurovision. Just interviews. 

Regarding the promo and connection with UK public, it's more shocking to see US it's still accessible and UK it's the hardest, a place where she used to reign easily.