Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siegessäule, Berlin’s leading lgbtq magazine, reviewed Madame X. It’s not a major publication of course, but quite popular in Berlin. I was a bit worried, because they were very negativ about the last albums and have basically been rather hostile in the past. So to my surprise, they gave the album a stellar review. Calling it a Masterpiece and a true return to form. The Madonna magic is back. They actually reviewed each track  

They basically split her career into three parts. Albums where she brilliantly combined risk and pop mainstream (LAP, ROL, Music, COADF), albums with which she went to far for the mainstream but were loved by the fans (Erotica, American Life), and albums that seemed defensive, trend chasing, trying to make up for lost grounds (BS, HC, MDNA, RH). Madame X won’t move the masses, but like Erotica and American Life, it’s an album that will ensure the love of her fans. 

 

37EB5C71-B05B-45CA-92D6-DA5A7BF46B8D.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Siegessäule, Berlin’s leading lgbtq magazine, reviewed Madame X. It’s not a major publication of course, but quite popular in Berlin. I was a bit worried, because they were very negativ about the last albums and have basically been rather hostile in the past. So to my surprise, they gave the album a stellar review. Calling it a Masterpiece and a true return to form. The Madonna magic is back. They actually reviewed each track  

They basically split her career into three parts. Albums where she brilliantly combined risk and pop mainstream (LAP, ROL, Music, COADF), albums with which she went to far for the mainstream but were loved by the fans (Erotica, American Life), and albums that seemed defensive, trend chasing, trying to make up for lost grounds (BS, HC, MDNA, RH). Madame X won’t move the masses, but like Erotica and American Life, it’s an album that will ensure the love of her fans. 

 

37EB5C71-B05B-45CA-92D6-DA5A7BF46B8D.jpeg

I think their way of categorizing the albums makes sense. Thanks for sharing! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanx 4 posting that! I dunno if I agree with the BS, HC MDNA RH-category though...

MDNA en RH should b in a Seperate MESSY-category :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

They basically split her career into three parts. Albums where she brilliantly combined risk and pop mainstream (LAP, ROL, Music, COADF), albums with which she went to far for the mainstream but were loved by the fans (Erotica, American Life), and albums that seemed defensive, trend chasing, trying to make up for lost grounds (BS, HC, MDNA, RH). Madame X won’t move the masses, but like Erotica and American Life, it’s an album that will ensure the love of her fans.

may-07-2019-13-01-13.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wunderkind said:

Siegessäule, Berlin’s leading lgbtq magazine, reviewed Madame X. It’s not a major publication of course, but quite popular in Berlin. I was a bit worried, because they were very negativ about the last albums and have basically been rather hostile in the past. So to my surprise, they gave the album a stellar review. Calling it a Masterpiece and a true return to form. The Madonna magic is back. They actually reviewed each track  

They basically split her career into three parts. Albums where she brilliantly combined risk and pop mainstream (LAP, ROL, Music, COADF), albums with which she went to far for the mainstream but were loved by the fans (Erotica, American Life), and albums that seemed defensive, trend chasing, trying to make up for lost grounds (BS, HC, MDNA, RH). Madame X won’t move the masses, but like Erotica and American Life, it’s an album that will ensure the love of her fans. 

 

37EB5C71-B05B-45CA-92D6-DA5A7BF46B8D.jpeg

Thanks! I am getting one copy still today 😘

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acko said:

Thanx 4 posting that! I dunno if I agree with the BS, HC MDNA RH-category though...

MDNA en RH should b in a Seperate MESSY-category 😄

The second sentence made me scream 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

Siegessäule, Berlin’s leading lgbtq magazine, reviewed Madame X. It’s not a major publication of course, but quite popular in Berlin. I was a bit worried, because they were very negativ about the last albums and have basically been rather hostile in the past. So to my surprise, they gave the album a stellar review. Calling it a Masterpiece and a true return to form. The Madonna magic is back. They actually reviewed each track  

They basically split her career into three parts. Albums where she brilliantly combined risk and pop mainstream (LAP, ROL, Music, COADF), albums with which she went to far for the mainstream but were loved by the fans (Erotica, American Life), and albums that seemed defensive, trend chasing, trying to make up for lost grounds (BS, HC, MDNA, RH). Madame X won’t move the masses, but like Erotica and American Life, it’s an album that will ensure the love of her fans. 

 

37EB5C71-B05B-45CA-92D6-DA5A7BF46B8D.jpeg

Sounds like an interesting , thought out take on M and Madame X . If some German speaking fellow had the patience and willfulness to translate , please do !

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 9:54 AM, impr3ssive_instant said:

This isn't about Madonna but I thought it would be appropriate here because it mentions a lot of what we've been discussing. Jack White criticizing Pitchfork and similar clickbait publications. Look at the last paragraph...

7cwjvv99od731.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

 

Well said Jack  :clap:

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

Siegessäule, Berlin’s leading lgbtq magazine, reviewed Madame X. It’s not a major publication of course, but quite popular in Berlin. I was a bit worried, because they were very negativ about the last albums and have basically been rather hostile in the past. So to my surprise, they gave the album a stellar review. Calling it a Masterpiece and a true return to form. The Madonna magic is back. They actually reviewed each track  

They basically split her career into three parts. Albums where she brilliantly combined risk and pop mainstream (LAP, ROL, Music, COADF), albums with which she went to far for the mainstream but were loved by the fans (Erotica, American Life), and albums that seemed defensive, trend chasing, trying to make up for lost grounds (BS, HC, MDNA, RH). Madame X won’t move the masses, but like Erotica and American Life, it’s an album that will ensure the love of her fans. 

 

37EB5C71-B05B-45CA-92D6-DA5A7BF46B8D.jpeg

 

Interesting thank you

Although I think HC, MDNA and RH are three distinct and separate scenarios and I wouldn't carelessly lump them into the so called trend chasing department

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 1:54 AM, Flip The Switch said:

Classic Pop Magazine:

 

69481F64-3AEA-41C0-983B-C48F62AA4D5F.jpeg

96D819EC-F493-4CAA-90AF-89EE362E8A0F.jpeg

 

Sweet :clap:

3.5/4

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, XXL said:

Although I think HC, MDNA and RH are three distinct and separate scenarios and I wouldn't carelessly lump them into the so called trend chasing department

:clap::clap::clap:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 2:57 PM, Wunderkind said:

Siegessäule, Berlin’s leading lgbtq magazine, reviewed Madame X. It’s not a major publication of course, but quite popular in Berlin. I was a bit worried, because they were very negativ about the last albums and have basically been rather hostile in the past. So to my surprise, they gave the album a stellar review. Calling it a Masterpiece and a true return to form. The Madonna magic is back. They actually reviewed each track  

They basically split her career into three parts. Albums where she brilliantly combined risk and pop mainstream (LAP, ROL, Music, COADF), albums with which she went to far for the mainstream but were loved by the fans (Erotica, American Life), and albums that seemed defensive, trend chasing, trying to make up for lost grounds (BS, HC, MDNA, RH). Madame X won’t move the masses, but like Erotica and American Life, it’s an album that will ensure the love of her fans. 

 

37EB5C71-B05B-45CA-92D6-DA5A7BF46B8D.jpeg

not like any album she realeses now will "move the masses"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acko said:

Why do they have a 5-star system in their index though?

Yes i think 3.5 out of 5 - not 4.

Not that it matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png

Page 50:

https://deldorado.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/D_07-19-Web.pdf

From https://madonnaunderground.com/madonna-covers-deldorado-germany/

Mit 20 war sie eine unbekannte Tänzerin ohne nennenswerte musikalische Ausbildung, die ihr Glück in New York suchte. Mit 30 war Madonna der größte weibliche Star der 80er-Jahre und mach-te mit ihrem vierten Album „Like A Prayer“ Furore. Mit 40 sonnte sie sich im Erfolg ihres Quasi-Comebacks mit „Ray of Light“, einer erneut bahnbrechenden Pop-Platte. Mit 50 veröffentlichte sie ihr drittes Hit-Album „Celebration“ und stand auf den Bestenlisten der erfolg-reichsten Künstler des Jahrzehnts mal wieder ganz oben. Mittlerwei-le ist Madonna 60 und hat gerade „Madame X“ herausgebracht. Ihr vierzehntes Studioalbum ist immer noch keine „Nostalgieplatte“ mit bequemen Anknüpfungen an das, was Ü40-Fans mit ihr assoziieren. Statt „La Isla Bonita“ jetzt ein Latin-Pop-Duett, zu dem Lieschen Mül-ler mit ihrem Standardtanz-Repertoire garantiert nicht klarkommt. Dafür ist Duettpartner Maluma heiß genug für Lieschens Tochter. Denn Madonna gibt ihren erbitterten Kampf, irgendwie immer noch als Ehrenmitglied im Club der Jugend zu bleiben, nach wie vor nicht auf. Mehr Bescheidenheit bei der stimmlichen Bearbeitung hätte si-cherlich teilweise mehr nach Kunst als nach Künstlichkeit geklungen, aber der auch darüber hinaus erst mal befremdlich wirkende stilisti-sche Eklektizismus ihres neuen Albums sorgt am Ende für den ent-scheidenden Impuls: Gleich noch mal hören!

My Google Translate translation below is a funny mess, letting native/fluent German speakers do the accurate honors

At 20 she was an unknown dancer without significant musical education, who was looking for her luck in New York. At 30, Madonna was the biggest female star of the 80s and caused a sensation with her fourth album "Like A Prayer". At 40, she basked in the success of her quasi-comeback with "Ray of Light," another groundbreaking pop record. At the age of 50 she released her third hit album "Celebration" and was once again on top of the leaderboards of the most successful artists of the decade. Meanwhile, Madonna is 60 and has just released "Madame X". Her fourteenth studio album is still not a "nostalgic record" with convenient links to what Ü40 fans associate with her. Instead of "La Isla Bonita" now a Latin-pop duo, to which Lieschen Mül-ler will not be able to cope with her standard dance repertoire. But duet partner Maluma is hot enough for Lieschens daughter. Because Madonna still does not give up her fierce fight to somehow remain as an honorary member of the Club of Youth. More modesty in the vocal processing would certainly have sounded more like art than artificiality, but the stylistic eclecticism of her new album, which also seems strange at first, ultimately provides the decisive impulse: Just listen again!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 12:22 PM, Profane said:

I think Batuka might be my favourite on the album - it’s dark, soulful and brooding like Secret but also so full of energy. Also it’s so completely different to anything Madonna has done before. 

batuka has grown on me , it could be brilliant live if she includes the audience 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 11:12 AM, boy skeffington said:

Posting this here only because it's actually comical it was published and such an example of "Madonna, let me tell you how I'd like you better if you'd be the Madonna I want you to be..." bullshit. It's legit crazy...the arrogance and self-righteousness of this article. 

———

https://www.sentinel-standard.com/news/20190629/farr-side-time-for-madonna-to-embrace-her-age

The Farr Side: Time for Madonna to embrace her age

By David T. Farr

Posted Jun 29, 2019 at 12:00 PM

Madonna has always danced to the beat of her own drum.

Madonna has always danced to the beat of her own drum. For the most part, it has served here well.

However, her drive to stay relevant is starting to wear thin. “Madame X” illustrates that.

“Madame X” is Madonna’s 14th studio album and perhaps her most bizarre. It’s a hodgepodge of electronic reggaeton-fused tracks that has no real concept. I’m a diehard Madonna fan so it pains me to say this album does nothing for me — or her, for that matter.

The album’s first single, “Medellin,” isn’t so out-of-the ordinary for “new” Madonna music. The track features Maluma, a huge Latin artist from South America. It’s danceable and rhythmic, but it’s no “La Isla Bonita.” The song seems handcrafted to appease the growing global Latino music market. Only Maluma adds to the song’s appeal. 

But just in time for the album’s release comes “Crave” featuring Swae Lee. It’s the best song on the record. What’s even cooler is I heard the track pon mainstream radio, something newer Madonna songs have failed to do.

That being said, though, the rest of the album is downright bizarre. She is better than this! 

“I Rise” and “I Don’t Search I Find” are relatively lost among strange songs like “Killers Who Are Partying,” and “Batuka.”

I would like to have a conversation with her. It might be time someone offers her some positive, yet critical, advice. I’d start by praising her writing and recording some of the best music ever made and include examples like “Crazy For You,” “Like A Prayer,” “Express Yourself,” “Vogue,” “Live To Tell,” “Ray Of Light” and some others. After all, she’s made some awesome songs during her amazing career. 

Then, I’d play up her age. She’s 60, which is not old by any means, especially in this day and age. But there is “60” and then there’s “60-trying-to-be 20.” That’s when things go south. I would tell her she’s Madonna and she doesn’t need to try to be the next big thing — she already has been that. It’s time to embrace her age, but in a manner that rewards her and not one that makes critics, like me, have to write negative reviews.

My dream for Madonna is clear. I know its cliché for artists to do “covers” albums or record an LP of standards. Several have done so and gotten mediocre results. But I’m talking about Madonna doing on “her way.”

Picture this: A double CD. The first disc is entirely cover songs, including signature standards (we know how awesome she was with “Evita”). These tracks should be songs she loves. Imagine if she took a standard and modernized it without compromising its integrity. The music would be phenomenal. Couple that with her vocal capabilities, it could be magic. Plus, it would introduce the standards to a whole new generation of music lovers.

Disc two would feature a selection of originals rerecorded in the same manner.Why not? Her songs have become part of the fabric of our lives, just like classic standards have. It would bring her music to life for a whole new generation. And those of us who have grown up listening to her music would have reason to celebrate all over again.

After getting a ton of hate mail he re-listened to the album and wrote a new review! 

https://www.sturgisjournal.com/news/20190713/farr-side-reassessing-madonnas-album

The Farr Side: Reassessing Madonna’s album

By David T. Farr

Posted Jul 13, 2019 at 11:00 AM

My first impression of Madonna’s latest album, “Madame X,” was not a good one. Her fans let me know how wrong I was.

I won't apologize for having an opinion, but I can admit when I'm wrong.

My first impression of Madonna's latest album, "Madame X," was not a good one. And her fans let me know how wrong I was in my review of the album in a recent column.

It's cool to get feedback from readers. Most of the time the comments are nice, but once in a while I'll hit on a topic that's explosive. Apparently, Madonna is still very much the talk of the world. I received nearly 400 emails from readers asking me to re-listen to her album and give it a second chance.

The holiday weekend offered me more time to listen to "Madame X" without interruption. I was wrong. Yes, it's different from her previous works, but that's OK. This album takes more than a skim-through to witness its brilliance. That alone makes it worth checking out again.

I will say, though,listening to the actual CD on my home stereo system made all the difference. I've been enjoying her channel on Sirius XM. She's quite candid, in interview, about the new record, too.

I was too quick to call for Madonna to "embrace her age." Even I know better than to say that to a woman who's been calling the shots for 40 years on the music scene. It's Madonna, fool. She can do whatever she wants while all the others take notes. She's a wave-maker, a trend-setter and a ceiling-breaker. And age has nothing to do with that.

"Medellin" was our true real insight into this phase of her life.

It took a while for me to grasp the song, but to hear it loud and uninterrupted, the music is amazing, something I've admired about Madonna songs.

The rest of the album is where it gets interesting, some might say bizarre. I have since changed my tune. "Madame X" is a revolutionary album filled with multiple twists and turns, some easier to navigate than others. The electro-Latin pop sound is infused with politically charged lyrics, bold attributes and some moments of genius.

Once you navigate the album you realize the shiny moments for what they are: great tracks.

I have to give mention to "Crave," her latest single. She plays down her newfound accent on the love song and lets the emotion take over. That same emotion is stretched on "Crazy," a song that gets better the more I listen.

"Come Alive" is, by far, one of the best Madonna songs this century, if not since her "Ray Of Light" album. The lyrics speak to me right now as I'm trying to find myself again. I must have listened to this track 10 times, turning it up louder each time. These lyrics are me ... "Mouth closed, I don't want your opinion, who you talkin' to?/ Stand out, No, I don't wanna blend in, why you want me to?/They say be all I can be and all I want is peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace/See the world, Haven't seen it all, I wanna see it's, see it's, see it's, see it's, see it's dreams...repeat (come alive)."

The chorus and synthesized orchestral composition make it a perfect 10. This is the Madonna I love.

I still stand firm on my dream of what Madonna needs to do next — a "standards" album, her way.

David T. Farr is a Journal correspondent. Email him at farrboy@hotmail.com.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

After getting a ton of hate mail he re-listened to the album and wrote a new review! 

https://www.sturgisjournal.com/news/20190713/farr-side-reassessing-madonnas-album

The Farr Side: Reassessing Madonna’s album

By David T. Farr

Posted Jul 13, 2019 at 11:00 AM

My first impression of Madonna’s latest album, “Madame X,” was not a good one. Her fans let me know how wrong I was.

I won't apologize for having an opinion, but I can admit when I'm wrong.

My first impression of Madonna's latest album, "Madame X," was not a good one. And her fans let me know how wrong I was in my review of the album in a recent column.

It's cool to get feedback from readers. Most of the time the comments are nice, but once in a while I'll hit on a topic that's explosive. Apparently, Madonna is still very much the talk of the world. I received nearly 400 emails from readers asking me to re-listen to her album and give it a second chance.

The holiday weekend offered me more time to listen to "Madame X" without interruption. I was wrong. Yes, it's different from her previous works, but that's OK. This album takes more than a skim-through to witness its brilliance. That alone makes it worth checking out again.

I will say, though,listening to the actual CD on my home stereo system made all the difference. I've been enjoying her channel on Sirius XM. She's quite candid, in interview, about the new record, too.

I was too quick to call for Madonna to "embrace her age." Even I know better than to say that to a woman who's been calling the shots for 40 years on the music scene. It's Madonna, fool. She can do whatever she wants while all the others take notes. She's a wave-maker, a trend-setter and a ceiling-breaker. And age has nothing to do with that.

"Medellin" was our true real insight into this phase of her life.

It took a while for me to grasp the song, but to hear it loud and uninterrupted, the music is amazing, something I've admired about Madonna songs.

The rest of the album is where it gets interesting, some might say bizarre. I have since changed my tune. "Madame X" is a revolutionary album filled with multiple twists and turns, some easier to navigate than others. The electro-Latin pop sound is infused with politically charged lyrics, bold attributes and some moments of genius.

Once you navigate the album you realize the shiny moments for what they are: great tracks.

I have to give mention to "Crave," her latest single. She plays down her newfound accent on the love song and lets the emotion take over. That same emotion is stretched on "Crazy," a song that gets better the more I listen.

"Come Alive" is, by far, one of the best Madonna songs this century, if not since her "Ray Of Light" album. The lyrics speak to me right now as I'm trying to find myself again. I must have listened to this track 10 times, turning it up louder each time. These lyrics are me ... "Mouth closed, I don't want your opinion, who you talkin' to?/ Stand out, No, I don't wanna blend in, why you want me to?/They say be all I can be and all I want is peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace/See the world, Haven't seen it all, I wanna see it's, see it's, see it's, see it's, see it's dreams...repeat (come alive)."

The chorus and synthesized orchestral composition make it a perfect 10. This is the Madonna I love.

I still stand firm on my dream of what Madonna needs to do next — a "standards" album, her way.

David T. Farr is a Journal correspondent. Email him at farrboy@hotmail.com.

One small step for mankind...🤩

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok now let’s all bombard all the hater reviews and demand they reassess the album. 

Also, let’s start sending threats to the Grammys and ensure she’s nominated in every category and that’s she’s the winner of each.

fuck the haters y’all 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 5:12 PM, Andgon144 said:

Ok now let’s all bombard all the hater reviews and demand they reassess the album. 

Also, let’s start sending threats to the Grammys and ensure she’s nominated in every category and that’s she’s the winner of each.

fuck the haters y’all 

bad idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose I could handle some sort of covers album, like on between projects.

I love that she snuck her covers album into this one.  There's like 5! Of them.  But they work so well within the framework of the album and I like them so well I don't even notice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...