Rate Madonna's last 4 albums

For me it's too early to rank or rate Madame X.

The three previous albums I prefer all the same. They're not my favorites albums by Madonna but I enjoy them. They all contain some great tracks that I continue to go back to.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how fans rank the last four albums.

I think Rebel Heart contains some of the best songs of her career, but it flows more like a fabulous mix or playlist than a proper album in my opinion.

MDNA has the worst vocal production of her career and some of her weakest songs, but is redeemed by the final stretch and that amazing cover.

Hard Candy is wall to wall jams with some drama in the final two tracks.

Madame X feels like something special, an album that will stand alongside her very best.

13 minutes ago, Shane said:

I think Rebel Heart contains some of the best songs of her career, but it flows more like a fabulous mix or playlist than a proper album in my opinion.

MDNA has the worst vocal production of her career and some of her weakest songs, but is redeemed by the final stretch and that amazing cover.

Hard Candy is wall to wall jams with some drama in the final two tracks.

Madame X feels like something special, an album that will stand alongside her very best.

This. 

1. Madame X 9.6/10

2.  Rebel Heart 8.5/10

3. Hard Candy 8.5/10

4. MDNA 8/10

Hmm, this is great.

4. MDNA: Was a bit "cold" and "darker" energy for me with this album. I loved "Love Spent," "Superstar," "Gang Bang," and "Give Me All Your Lovin" was decent. Overall, the songs were the weakest grouping out of any album she has done, it ranks dead last in my book. But I still love a lot of it.

3. Rebel Heart: Needed to be about 12 songs max. There were a lot of "filler" songs in my opinion here. There are amazing songs I love on here though, with that being said: "Rebel Heart," "Body Shop," "Heartbreak City," "Devil Pray," "Joanne of Arc," and "Ghosttown" were incredible. 

2. Hard Candy: Great content on this album and an amazing turn for Madonna with the hip-hop flavor. Love "4 Minutes," "Heartbeat," and "Beat Goes On" should've been a single! Really good album overall.

1. Madame X: This album really surprised me. I was expecting MDNA caliber. But whoa, was I wrong! There are 2 songs that I don't love (Bitch I'm Loca and Faz Gostoso) but every other one has layers upon layers of high production quality, cinematic sound, lush vocals and musical instruments and high quality writing. Amazing album really. Good thing is, it will get better over time!

Edited by jjbradleynyc

I am pleasantly surprised that Hard Candy is liked by so many. For me HC is like KFC and the Spice Girls... Total guilty pleasure. 

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks

The problem with rating these albums like most before them are quite different from one another.  I like each album for what they are and don't really think one is worst than the other.  Hard Candy and Rebel Heart are albums that musically grab me more than MDNA and Madame X.  Personally, I think Rebel Heart would have probably connected better with people if Madonna got her way and just released it as a double album as she originally wanted.  Also, the leaks left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, and then we have people comparing the leaks with the album versions.  Still, we had a lot of great songs that made you fall in love or dance to.

Madame X is more of a literature piece than a music album. Yes, there are some enjoyable songs, but it's an album which you really have to sit down and listen to.  It's not a dance record for me.  Each song is like a chapter from a good book.  Some deeper and meaningful than others.

Hard Candy is simply fun to listen to and move to.  To me, it was her last album you can really party to. 

MDNA was that in between era where I felt like she wasn't sure which direction she wanted to take. Still, the album has some very fun pop songs as well as some very poignant thoughtful tracks.  If anything, MDNA is a precursor of what was to come for Madame X in a way.  

6 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Why is everyone comparing albums ?     It is a new era,  celebrate her new album.   Every thread about Madame X is filled with trashing of past albums. 

Madame X is high art in contrast to the three albums that came before it. I think my fondness for American Life intensified because Madonna was committed to being fun for the sake of fun since the divorce really left her publicly vulnerable. All the press constantly attacking her age and no one in the mainstream articulating a defense on her behalf. Madame X for several represents a reset for Madonna. She's better than so many musical starlets that came right after her who are sometimes thought of as her peers. Mariah/Janet for the living examples.

7 minutes ago, erotica blu said:

Madame X is high art in contrast to the three albums that came before it. I think my fondness for American Life intensified because Madonna was committed to being fun for the sake of fun since the divorce really left her publicly vulnerable. All the press constantly attacking her age and no one in the mainstream articulating a defense on her behalf. Madame X for several represents a reset for Madonna. She's better than so many musical starlets that came right after her who are sometimes thought of as her peers. Mariah/Janet for the living examples.

Well put.

its not about trashing her past works. But to ignore the chasm between Madame X and albums like the last 3 is to be dishonest about Madonna’s work. It’s not that they were horrible albums. But in Hard Candy’s case, she seemed to be in a place where being conservative was the experiment. It mostly worked. Fine. 

But then it kinda continued. MDNA felt like a distracted album. I enjoyed it, but there was something distant about it.

rebel heart was a frantic era and frantic album. Nothing really worked for me. (This is all my opinion I have to remind you). The songwriting camp syndrome is illustrated so well on the album. I know fans enjoy it, but there was something awkward about that album for me. It felt like Madonna trying to wade through a bunch of other ppl’s styles and input and she got lost in the mix. 

So listening to Madame X is an incredible shock after those 3. It just is.

1.  Hard Candy - So far.  Maybe, in time - perhaps, soon - Mx will take over. (Let's not forget the gems that are BGO, GITM, MA, SNM, DWRY, etc., people!)

2.  Mx (the ONLY M album in which I love every song - may soon take over #1 for last four albums)

3.  MDNA (Love this album!  Don't get all the hate for it.)

4.  Rebel Heart - (Still love it - I love every M album to different degrees and for different reasons - but I rarely listen to it and it hasn't stood the test of time so well, for me.)