Rate Madonna's last 4 albums

Madame X 9,5/ 10

Hard Candy 8/ 10

Rebel Heart 7/ 10

MDNA 5/ 10 (it is my least favorite Madonna album, I love the MDNA Tour though)

Edited by Geiger83

1. Madame X 10/10

2.Rebel Heart 8.5/10

3. Hard Candy 7/10

4.MDNA 5/10

i find it difficult to put rankings, numbers or grades to her work but what will say is that between probably 1986-2005 what M did better than any other artist (certainly within popular music) was tell a story with her albums, they were as close to literature as popular music can get. No one did the creation of an album and the crafting of a complete body of work better than Madonna but that started to slip a little with Hard Candy, there were elements of it but it was mostly a collection of good pop songs. 

MDNA though I feel it is underrated as a collection was the nadir of this aspect of her talent because other than the late second half of the record, it was literally a handful of dance tracks that she sang over and sounded a little detached from.

RH is a curious one because there are several stories to be told but it's uneven and uncohesive. That said, the stories on offer are deeply compelling and with more streamlined production, a more careful eye over what made the final tracklisting and no leaks hindering her ultimate vision, it could have ranked among her top tier works. I think the difference between MDNA and RH is that she had something to say.

Madame X is a revelation because she has once again, recorded a great novel so to speak. This ranks alongside erotica, bedtime stories, ray of light and confessions because it is a body of work, a statement and it's uncompromised. In short, it's a true Madonna ALBUM.

Hard Candy (that's the album which made a me a fan when i was 12, lots of emotional connection with it)- 10/10

Madame X (another masterpiece)- 9/10

MDNA (there are some songs i still listen to in it)- 6.5/10

Rebel Heart (my all time least favourite Madonna album)- 5/10

6 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Why is everyone comparing albums ?     It is a new era,  celebrate her new album.   Every thread about Madame X is filled with trashing of past albums. 

THIS!!!

51 minutes ago, Carey said:

i find it difficult to put rankings, numbers or grades to her work but what will say is that between probably 1986-2005 what M did better than any other artist (certainly within popular music) was tell a story with her albums, they were as close to literature as popular music can get. No one did the creation of an album and the crafting of a complete body of work better than Madonna but that started to slip a little with Hard Candy, there were elements of it but it was mostly a collection of good pop songs. 

MDNA though I feel it is underrated as a collection was the nadir of this aspect of her talent because other than the late second half of the record, it was literally a handful of dance tracks that she sang over and sounded a little detached from.

RH is a curious one because there are several stories to be told but it's uneven and uncohesive. That said, the stories on offer are deeply compelling and with more streamlined production, a more careful eye over what made the final tracklisting and no leaks hindering her ultimate vision, it could have ranked among her top tier works. I think the difference between MDNA and RH is that she had something to say.

Madame X is a revelation because she has once again, recorded a great novel so to speak. This ranks alongside erotica, bedtime stories, ray of light and confessions because it is a body of work, a statement and it's uncompromised. In short, it's a true Madonna ALBUM.

^^ As always, an amazing post from one of my favorite posters, Carey. Very fair assessment. 

Overly negative fans who complain about everything are of course annoying, but being blindly positive to the point that you cannot even evaluate anything she did like a sane thinking human being ("OMG I can't breathe we have an odd problem of how good she is it hurts too much to choose anything") isn't healthy either. 

Madame x

hard candy (The Beat goes on got it this high..)

rebel heart

MDNA

I actually remember playing Hard Candy all the fucking time.. even the sticky and sweet tour.. despite some of the choices, I always came back to it.

1 hour ago, Carey said:

This is a thoughtful, spot-on comment. Thank you for this.

1 hour ago, Carey said:

👏

For some reason, I find this easier than doing the RH vs MX song by song comparison at this point. So here goes:

1. MX

2. HC

3. RH

4. MDNA

Being "cohesive" is by no means a requirement for me but MX creates a whole "mood" and I just love when her albums do that. HC doesn't quite do that but it's just a fine collection of very cohesive songs. It's an easy album to love IMO and have NEVER understood the shit it got from people. It's chock full of chewy pop nuggets. 

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Perfectly put. I agree 100%

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Nothing left to add, haha. Agreed. 

May the RH demos be properly released someday!