An interview with Mathieu Jomphe-Lépine, aka Billboard

Sorry, the translation is from Google... You can read the french article here: https://www.journaldequebec.com/2019/06/17/composer-pour-madonna-dans-son-propre-sous-sol

To compose for Madonna in his own basement
Quebec producer Mathieu Jomphe-Lépine participated in 8 songs from the album Madame X

Madonna once again appealed to the "Quebec know-how" during the creation of her album Madame X. After Moment Factory as well as dancers Nico Archambault and Ric'Key Pageot, it's the turn of producer Mathieu Jomphe-Lépine, aka Billboard, team up with the queen of pop.

"It's a big dream I realized working with her. Her albums Music, American Life and Confessions on a Dance Floor have been memorable for me, "says the 30-year-old artist, who told his story in the Journal.

On Madame X, Billboard has left its mark on eight songs. He acts as co-producers on three titles: the single Crave, Faz Gostoso and Bitch I'm Loca. He also performed the percussion parts on five other plays during his three-week stay in London last fall with Madonna and her team.

Inspired by the album Music

Jomphe-Lépine is particularly proud of Crave.

"I had prepared a dozen demos on my side before going to work with her. For Crave, it starts with something on the guitar that I started trying to recreate the feeling I had in 2001 while listening to the album Music. I always found that the guitar worked really well with her voice and I tried to make a modernized version. I was really happy when she liked what I did. "

"It's very rewarding," he continues, "because I created it in my basement in Pointe-aux-Trembles, and I played it in London and she really understood my vision. "

And how is it working with Madonna?

"She is very relaxed, likes to make jokes, while being very serious and involved in all aspects of production. Moreover, she does not hesitate to say it when she does not like something. It's cool because not everyone is honest like that, "says the one who also enjoyed the creative space that Madonna leaves to her collaborators.

It all started with Britney

If the name of Mathieu Jomphe-Lépine does not say anything to the general public, the Québécois is not a stranger in the music world.

He started making a name for himself in 2011, when he collaborated on four songs from Britney Spears' Femme Fatale at the invitation of renowned producer Dr. Luke, who had noticed his work on the web.

This same Dr. Luke gave him his first chance to approach Madonna when he gave him the contract to take part in the production of the song Ghosttown, on her album Rebel Heart, released in 2015.

In addition to his association with the Material Girl, Jomphe-Lépine also produced beats for Shakira, Robyn, Ariana Grande, Chris Brown, Dua Lipa, Mika and Ellie Goulding.

Except that nothing bigger than Madonna appears in the curriculum vitae of Mathieu Jomphe-Lépine. "Madonna, it's huge. It gives a lot of credibility, "says the one who wants his work on Madame X to open other doors.

"I sent demos to Camila Cabello, to Ariana Grande. We always try everywhere. "