Madame X album general discussion

50 minutes ago, strictmachine said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t hear a lot of vocal effects on Batuka?! I just don’t hear it. 

Are you being serious? 😳

4 hours ago, Lolasmommy said:

I think I listened to the albums Ray Of Light, Music, Confessions for at least 2 years in full with no skipping...after these albums I found myself going back to a handful of songs after the first few months of release...

Madame X I’ve been listening to all the way through almost once everyday since release & im picking up on new sounds, words, feelings all the time. I think this ones going into the same league for me as the albums I mentioned at the top of this post.

I listen to all her albums at different times. It’s more about what mood I’m in at the time. Since release I’ve been in a MX mood regularly, and there’s the need to be familiar with the new album. 

i wonder if steven klein's instagram post about madame x creating a masterpiece or whatever is about the tour or a new video

anyway i wish she would put this album on sale multiple times like every single artist out there. but she never does.

23 hours ago, strictmachine said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t hear a lot of vocal effects on Batuka?! I just don’t hear it. 

i think we've become so used to it because it's used on absolutely everything these days and so we don't hear it anymore, but it's very obvious on "batuka." tbh, the only song on the album i don't hear auto-tune or other effects is "crave." even "crazy" and "extreme occident" have some kind of vocal effect.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:24 PM, miki said:

Rebel Heart is a great album as well. 

Rebel Heart is my favourite Madonna album since Confessions, in particular, the demos and songs left off. The Beautiful Scars demo I must have listened to multiple times every day for a year I'm sure. Maybe in time I'll get the Madame X 'hype', but I just don't enjoy listening to majority of songs on it. I think (in my opinion) it depends the state of mind/place you're in. The songs on Rebel Heart are where I still feel a huge part of me is personally so I can connect more to them than Madame X. 

18 hours ago, alanuk said:

Rebel Heart is my favourite Madonna album since Confessions, in particular, the demos and songs left off. The Beautiful Scars demo I must have listened to multiple times every day for a year I'm sure. Maybe in time I'll get the Madame X 'hype', but I just don't enjoy listening to majority of songs on it. I think (in my opinion) it depends the state of mind/place you're in. The songs on Rebel Heart are where I still feel a huge part of me is personally so I can connect more to them than Madame X. 

Yes, I agree it does depend on your state of mind/place you're in. It might sound crazy but I appreciate REBEL HEART the most on rainy days. On such occasions I'm in a melancholic and pensive mood and the songs just feel right. However the perfect time for me to listen to MADAME X are the hours before dawn or midnight.  I'm ready for an adventure. I think MADAME X is what I've heard certain hallucinogen drugs ( like DMT ) do for you - especially the first six songs. Though I've not experienced such drugs, I love listening to Terrence Mckenna's account of his wild accounts of his after taking mushrooms . And also she starts the album with the allusion to taking a pill and taking a trip. But please note that I am not advocating the use of drugs. And I don't take 'em, I am fascinated by the worlds they open up and I think music can do that to a certain extent.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:32 PM, strictmachine said:

I am with you on that. I figured that on every song she just assumed different personalities and maybe accents. And the lyrics on certain songs are as if written or sang  by a foreigner  . And all of these work phenomenally. I think she is like an actor in the album and is a young girl from Cape Verde on Batuka, then a Portuguese in Killers, and a woman on shrooms on Medellin and DARK BALLET . And maybe she used vocal effects to attain her goal. 

12 minutes ago, miki said:

I am with you on that. I figured that on every song she just assumed different personalities and maybe accents. And the lyrics on certain songs are as if written or sang by a person of a non English speaking country. And all of these work phenomenally. I think she is like an actor in the album and is a young girl from Cape Verde on Batuka, then a Portuguese in Killers, and a woman on shrooms on Medellin. And maybe she used vocal effects to attain her goal. 

I feel like this is what sets her apart from so many other pop performers out there...she truly inhabits a mood, a feeling and a character in so much of her work and she employs a level of specificity and detail that other performers simply cannot match. There were several reviews that spoke of her using "so many accents" on this album - it's like, duh, of course she is speaking in different accents on this album, this is what Madonna does. I think her use of a vocal producer and vocal effects are really just an extension of that...she's trying to push her voice into new territory and different realms. And her voice is particularly suited for that, because on its own it's so clear and melodic that it really lends itself well to manipulation and distortion. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but when has Madonna ever pleased all of the people all of the time?

What a beautiful album. I listened to it just this evening and I'm still amazed at the musical journey. I especially get emotional with Looking For Mercy and I Rise. But love the continuous change of style. 

19 minutes ago, karbatal said:

What a beautiful album. I listened to it just this evening and I'm still amazed at the musical journey. I especially get emotional with Looking For Mercy and I Rise. But love the continuous change of style. 

Recently, I drove for 2 hours and listened to the album twice without skipping any song. I felt like I drove for 10 minutes. Amazing journey on every aspect! 

2 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

So cool that he'd pay her respect like that. I say what a "class act" HE is.  I love when artists do that. 

48 minutes ago, pieciolot said:

Who is he?

American singer most popular in the ‘60s. “Breaking up is hard to do” was one of his most popular songs you might recognize.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:46 PM, Flip The Switch said:

The fuck!?! :confused: :lol:

Yeah, random indeed! Much appreciated though!! One of the last people I'd expect to give MX praise.

*playing Laughter In The Rain on repeat now*