Madame X album general discussion

8 minutes ago, Gus said:

Crave.. disco?

6 Reasons Why Madonna's New No. 1 Album Is Historically Important

Madonna is back at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 this week for the first time in several years with her latest studio effort Madame X, which debuts in the top spot with just under 100,000 equivalent units. The “Like A Prayer” powerhouse is no stranger to the throne, but this latest success is special—here are six reasons why.

Fifth-Most No. 1 Albums

With nine No. 1 albums to her name, Madonna has moved up into the top five when it comes to the artists with the most leaders on the Billboard 200. She may be tied for fifth place, but at least now she’s closer to the record, and she may continue to rise in the future. With nine leaders, she’s tied with Eminem, Garth Brooks and The Rolling Stones, all of whom have also ruled on nine separate occasions.

Leading the way are The Beatles, who scored 19 No. 1 albums. They are followed by Jay-Z, who has 14, Barbra Streisand and Bruce Springsteen, who claim 11, and Elvis Presley, who nabbed 10.

Fourth-Most No. 1 Albums Among Solo Artists

When looking solely at soloists, only a few names are retracted from the list of the acts with the most No. 1 albums, though that helps everyone move up one rung. Since The Beatles run the show, once they’re removed, everyone jumps, including Madonna. Nine No. 1 records suddenly becomes enough to give her the fourth-most chart-owners.

Second-Most No. 1 Albums Among Women

When only women are taken into account, Madonna fares even better, and she’s only bested by one of the most successful recording artists of all time. Only Barbra Streisand, who has managed 11 chart-topping titles throughout her half-century-long career, is beating her, and Madge is closing the gap. Madame X puts her just two full-lengths behind the fellow singer-songwriter, and there’s no telling how their totals will change in the coming years.

Fifth-Most Top 10 Albums

It's important to remember that in addition to being her ninth No. 1, Madame X is also another top 10 win for Madonna, and it helps her move up on a closely-watched list as well. The title is her twenty-second to break into the uppermost region, which ties her for the fifth-most top 10 albums, right alongside Bob Dylan.

Fourth-Most Top 10 Albums Among Soloists

The Rolling Stones are in charge when it comes to the most top 10 albums, as they have landed inside the area 37 times. When only solo acts are considered, Madonna rises once again, and her sum becomes the fourth-most in history.

Second-Most Top 10 Albums Among Women

When only women are included in that list, Madonna only ranks behind Barbra Streisand, though she's got a long way to go before she catches up with the singer and actress. Streisand has charted 34 top 10 titles throughout her career.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2019/06/28/6-reasons-why-madonnas-new-no-1-album-is-historically-important/#67b743391446

On 6/26/2019 at 11:42 PM, peter said:

I don’t remember if it had it’s own thread, but that “Today at Apple” Music Lab: Remix Madonna thing is going on now ... There were five sessions at different Apple stores in the Pittsburgh area when I checked. I can only make one of them work, but I signed up for it! If they’re doing it in Pittsburgh, I am sure other cities are doing it, too. 

I think it’s a little weird this isn’t a bigger “thing” getting pushed by Apple. She tagged Apple Music, but if you go to their IG account, there’s no post about this. I had to Google “Today at Apple” and scroll way down to find this. 

Glad I was able to enroll/make a reservation. Hope this mention encourages other fans to check out this opportunity. (I hope there’s a way to keep what we make — and I hope the visuals are a part of the finished remix!)

Well, I did this tonight. They do play a clip from that Beats One Apple interview where Madonna speaks.

Just like they promoted, you get to remix Crave in their app, GarageBand. It is a little complex if you’ve never used the app before (and I hadn’t). 

There was only one other person registered for this, and he was there because he’d participated in another “Today at Apple” event, then learned of this one. 

I’d say it was worth it for the opportunity to put on some headphones and basically listen to Madonna’s isolated vocals — like an a cappella version of Crave. So lovely.

Eveything is broken down that way — her vocals, his vocals, guitar, synth drums, and synth bass. The song structure is sort of like this:

Intro

Chorus A

Chorus B

Verse

Chorus A

Chorus B

Verse (Swae feature)

Breakdown

Chorus A

Chorus B

Outro

All in all interesting.

Down side? The instructor told me most labs like this send you home with something — but, he said, because Madonna’s Madonna, they couldn’t give us any of her stuff. I said I understood — I do get it — and I said I bought the album, so I wouldn’t need to take anything, anyway. But that was before we’d done anything.

It was mesmerizing to see her looping (the red tint footage of her she posted on IG a while back) — it was on almost every screen in tbe Apple store. Gorgeous.

If you have an opportunity to register for one of these labs near you, go! Listen to Madonna’s voice in isolation!! (It’s free!!)

57 minutes ago, peter said:

Well, I did this tonight. They do play a clip from that Beats One Apple interview where Madonna speaks.

Just like they promoted, you get to remix Crave in their app, GarageBand. It is a little complex if you’ve never used the app before (and I hadn’t). 

There was only one other person registered for this, and he was there because he’d participated in another “Today at Apple” event, then learned of this one. 

I’d say it was worth it for the opportunity to put on some headphones and basically listen to Madonna’s isolated vocals — like an a cappella version of Crave. So lovely.

Eveything is broken down that way — her vocals, his vocals, guitar, synth drums, and synth bass. The song structure is sort of like this:

Intro

Chorus A

Chorus B

Verse

Chorus A

Chorus B

Verse (Swae feature)

Breakdown

Chorus A

Chorus B

Outro

All in all interesting.

Down side? The instructor told me most labs like this send you home with something — but, he said, because Madonna’s Madonna, they couldn’t give us any of her stuff. I said I understood — I do get it — and I said I bought the album, so I wouldn’t need to take anything, anyway. But that was before we’d done anything.

It was mesmerizing to see her looping (the red tint footage of her she posted on IG a while back) — it was on almost every screen in tbe Apple store. Gorgeous.

If you have an opportunity to register for one of these labs near you, go! Listen to Madonna’s voice in isolation!! (It’s free!!)

Sounds amazing, and a total treat. ☺️

16 minutes ago, Frozenpower said:

I know it's too soon, but do you think Madame X could get any grammy nominations

I think it will be ignored as always.

this album deserves all the prizes of the world, but Madonna is not Beyoncé or Gaga..

I do not think it will surprise us that they do not nominate her, 

a record sung in Spanish.  Portuguese, reggeton, fado ... awarded by the American industry?  

I really see it almost impossible ... I wish I was wrong.

22 minutes ago, rebelgirl said:

this album deserves all the prizes of the world, but Madonna is not Beyoncé or Gaga..

a record sung in Spanish.  Portuguese, reggeton, fado ... awarded by the American industry?  

Sad. It is an excellent album. I really want it to be recognized. I hope we get surprised.

30 minutes ago, Frozenpower said:

Sad. It is an excellent album. I really want it to be recognized. I hope we get surprised.

Madonna isn’t cool, young or generic enough (I obvs think she’s cool!). I bet they don’t even nominate her.

There seem to be more artists boycotting the Grammys each year, like Frank Ocean etc, because they are pretty meaningless these days and only recognise popularity over creativity.  

1 hour ago, Frozenpower said:

I know it's too soon, but do you think Madame X could get any grammy nominations? 

Hopefully her new team is paying attention and are ready to act soon!

https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2019/06/grammy-awards-announce-new-2020-deadlines-and-dates-.html

Grammy Awards Announce New 2020 Deadlines and Dates 

For recordings released between Oct. 1, 2018, and Aug. 31, 2019.

June 24–July 8, 2019: First-Round Online Entry Process Access Period

July 17–Aug. 2, 2019: Final-Round Online Entry Process Access Period

Sept. 25–Oct. 10, 2019: First-Round Voting Access Period

Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019: Nominees Announced for 62nd Annual GRAMMY Awards

Dec. 9, 2019–Jan. 3, 2020: Final-Round Voting Access Period

Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2020: Producers & Engineers Wing GRAMMY Week celebration

Thursday, Jan. 23, 2020: Music Educator Award Presentation GRAMMY In The Schools Live!

Friday, Jan. 24, 2020: Entertainment Law Initiative Event & Scholarship Presentation MusiCares Person of the Year

Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020: GRAMMY Nominees Reception Clive Davis’ and the Recording Academy’s Pre-GRAMMY Gala

Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020: GRAMMY Awards Premiere Ceremony 62nd Annual GRAMMY Awards GRAMMY Celebration

39 minutes ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020: GRAMMY Awards Premiere Ceremony 62nd Annual GRAMMY Awards GRAMMY Celebration

she has a show in London that night, she won't even be considered

On 6/25/2019 at 2:20 AM, Mr Ciccone said:

Just found the Standard Edition cover in Super High Quality! [12500 x 12500  56.8MB]

https://cdn-media.rtl.fr/online/image/2019/0613/7797845624_la-couverture-de-l-album-de-madonna-madame-x.jpg

I wish there is one for the blonde cover as well! 

Yes, though they are shitty in many ways, I want them to recognize M when the time comes... I've mentioned earlier that it would be big news if M score multiple nominations in all the categories that she's eligible for... especially in the general and pop categories...I believe she is long over DUE! Perhaps the Grammy folks could gain back some credibility that awards merit over popularity!!  

One thing is that the deadline for next year's Grammys is due 31 August 2019, so work released from last year's October till August this year will be eligible, which TS may get nominated since her album is ready by end of August too... I really hope with this revised cutoff deadline, M could be "properly" nominated for all her eligible categories.... its not only for "popular younger artist"..........

Nominations not only meant for her but also the team that she worked with.... they deserve some credit too... and stop nominating Beyondca or Toilet or reductive pls...

6 hours ago, Profane said:

Madonna isn’t cool, young or generic enough (I obvs think she’s cool!). I bet they don’t even nominate her.

There seem to be more artists boycotting the Grammys each year, like Frank Ocean etc, because they are pretty meaningless these days and only recognise popularity over creativity.  

Or are clearly bought like when Slob's flop Joanne single won over Havana. Such a joke. 

It would still be good if it won as it's a genuinely good and innovative but not holding out any hope.

55 minutes ago, impr3ssive_instant said:

So is this song snippet that we heard in her IG post actually on the album? It kind of sounds like God Control or I Don't Search I Find so maybe an early version of one of those songs?

That’s I Don’t Search I Find. 

“Yeah I found you..”

26 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

That’s I Don’t Search I Find. 

“Yeah I found you..”

Good ear. I keep hearing Mirwais say, “I knew she wouldn’t wait...” :laugh:

To the Madonna stan I met Seattle Pride that had the MDNA cross tattoo who approached me because of my Madame X shirt... Thank you, you made my entire day. 

On 6/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, Geiger83 said:

Now, after almost two weeks listening to MX (I listened to the album non-stop the first week and then not so intensively after that), I can say I have a concrete feeling and opinion about it. This album is much more than I expected and it surprised me in different ways. I don't think it is perfect, but this is something I like a lot about Madonna's albums. For me it belongs to her best albums, specially sonically and conceptually. It has strong messages, that unfortunatelly can be misunderstood (for instance Killers who are partying). It is a very human album, appealling to humanity and I think that the "world music" sound/aspect fits this humanity character very well. I still can't say for sure if I think it is better than the one or the other album, specially because Madonna's albums (with a few exceptions) always fluctuate in me: sometimes I like the one album more than the others. But what I can say is that it definitely belongs to my top 5 and for me it is the best album since Confessions. Although I love many songs of Rebel Heart and a few songs of MDNA (this is in fact my least favorite Madonna Album) I feel these albums doesn't have a clear concept (specially MDNA, Rebel Heart suffered from the leaks) and the concepts behind Madonna's albums are always very important to me (Erotica for instance is unbelieveably incredible). Confessions seems to be the last album where music and concept worked well (repeating: imo Rebel Heart was on the right way but due to the leaks it didn't turned out what Madonna wanted it to be).

I really love MX and am very proud of Madonna. 

thank you for this! you put words to exactly how i felt about the album. like u first week nonstop then second not so much - i let it absorb.

22 hours ago, rebelgirl said:

It won’t surprise me if she’s not nominated, but I’d still be disappointed. The Grammys (Shammys) and mainstream media have never fully embraced truly progressive music. “Like a Prayer” should’ve at least been nominated but received no recognition. Now it’s considered as one of many examples of how out of touch the Grammys are. And how safe they tend to vote (Think Bruno Mars’ win over Kendrick Lamar) Always behind the times and beholden to popularity, viewership and money. What else is new. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You guys remember this small clip from the Apple Music Interview back in April?

We never got to see more of it, and I was wondering if they're ever going to show sth more...well, I checked on Apple Music now and they have put up two more clips. One she's talking about Dark Ballet and in the other one she gets asked which previous era was Madame X inspired by the most (hint, she doesn't give a clear answer haha) I can't link but just check it out for yourself if you've subscribed there 🙂

1 hour ago, Nonoka said:

You guys remember this small clip from the Apple Music Interview back in April?

We never got to see more of it, and I was wondering if they're ever going to show sth more...well, I checked on Apple Music now and they have put up two more clips. One she's talking about Dark Ballet and in the other one she gets asked which previous era was Madame X inspired by the most (hint, she doesn't give a clear answer haha) I can't link but just check it out for yourself if you've subscribed there 🙂

Thanks, Nonoka! If anyone goes and participates in the “Today at Apple” Music Lab where you can remix Crave, there was a brief intro which was taken from this interview, too. It doesn’t sound like it’s the same as the two clips you mentioned, either.

So odd how this has been segmented and cut into very short clips without sharing more widely...