Madame X album general discussion

Very happy to learn she's #1 in the US!! A little disappointed that it didn't reach a well deserved #1 in other countries. I just can't understand why the album came out the same week as Springsteen's. Didn't her team know in advance that both albums were going to be out the same date? I suppose they should know that. Don't they have contacts who let them know about it to avoid this? I'm kind of confused. 

Anyway, I'm beyond happy she got that ninth #1 in the US! I am expecting a very probable #1 in Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Portugal... Let's see.

We ran into Madame X at Krispy Kreme and almost knocked the table over in excitement. 

Edited by kubi

On 6/24/2019 at 5:59 AM, rocknrolla said:

My favorite album since Music, I think I even like it better than Confessions.

I think it's easily better than Confessions.This one has more ''tooth'' if that's the appropriate word for it. 

12 minutes ago, Lolasmommy said:

Agreed. Best album since Ray Of Light 

I mean this is something huge to say, and I wouldn't predict it before listening to the album at all. But I can totally imagine there would be days I would prefer to listen to this rather than Music, Confessions or anything that comes after in her discography. I don't know how this will rank after all is said and done,as  it still has the freshness factor to it.  But I will say that it includes some of her best work with Mirwais. I actually made a playlist and I Don't Search I Find fits beautifully between Vogue and Justify My Love and it doesn't sound like a lesser song at all. It's THAT good.

34 minutes ago, berke said:

I think it's easily better than Confessions.This one has more ''tooth'' if that's the appropriate word for it. 

It’s definitely one of her “toothier” albums...and it does get better and better with each listen (especially with good headphones). So many layers. 

On 6/22/2019 at 4:58 PM, KalamazooJay said:

The more I listen to this album, the more it reminds me of Tori Amos' Boys For Pele. Both are sprawling, cryptic albums which while I don't believe are extremely cohesive, work brilliantly as a collection of songs due to the sequencing. Both are probably the hardest albums in their discography for critics, casual fans and the general public to digest. And both are rich and diverse and cover a multitude of genres and sounds that neither artist had done previously in their career. 

This IS her best album in terms of sequencing since Music. And it IS a Madonna ALBUM that's hard to listen to in bits and pieces. For instance, I simply can't listen to Killers Who Are Partying without having Crave come on right after. And while I was listening to Crave on its own for weeks, I need to hear Crazy afterwards. This is exactly how Boys for Pele was for me. It was impossible to listen to Blood Roses without hearing Father Lucifer afterwards. 

Madame X is a fascinating album with a lot of twists and turns. 

With Rebel Heart, she released 3 of her most radio friendly singles since Hung Up to absolutely no avail. Ghosttown and Bitch I'm Madonna ESPECIALLY should have been huge in their own right. And she knows as well as we do that if any other pop artist 30 years younger were to have released them, they would've been huge. I'm happy she didn't double down on that strategy and try to do it again with sugary hits in hopes of radio play. I'm happy made an album on her own terms, knowing full well that nothing she does is going to garner much radio play this late into her career. 

What a wonderful post! 

You are so accurate! I always LOVE your posts! 

10 hours ago, berke said:

While I really listened to Confessions a lot at the time, I find myself passing over it most of the time.

This is how second week is looking for Madame X:

http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming

I'm quite shocked that she's out of top 50 building chart! Springsteen is at #18. It's kind of weird. I mean, is she really under 4k copies? I thought she would be around #25 or #30. I  very much hope she makes it to the top 40 next week, otherwise the typical articles about the big drop will be everywhere. 😕

Edited by Frozenpower

^ Well, it doesn’t help that many formats of the album were not available in the U.S. In order to source the box set or the 2CD version, U.S. fans had to resort to imports, which don’t contribute to chart success in the U.S. I was thinking perhaps that was part of the delayed release date to June 21 on Amazon U.S. originally, but now it’s pushed back by almost a month, and I still doubt those sales will track in the U.S. charts, anyway.

I don’t remember if it had it’s own thread, but that “Today at Apple” Music Lab: Remix Madonna thing is going on now ... There were five sessions at different Apple stores in the Pittsburgh area when I checked. I can only make one of them work, but I signed up for it! If they’re doing it in Pittsburgh, I am sure other cities are doing it, too. 

I think it’s a little weird this isn’t a bigger “thing” getting pushed by Apple. She tagged Apple Music, but if you go to their IG account, there’s no post about this. I had to Google “Today at Apple” and scroll way down to find this. 

Glad I was able to enroll/make a reservation. Hope this mention encourages other fans to check out this opportunity. (I hope there’s a way to keep what we make — and I hope the visuals are a part of the finished remix!)

I can't believe people still care about chart positions 😂

This is her best album since ROL and I loved COAF I find this album as exciting to listen to as ROL. 

So so good and GC is her best video for 20 years. 

Now, after almost two weeks listening to MX (I listened to the album non-stop the first week and then not so intensively after that), I can say I have a concrete feeling and opinion about it. This album is much more than I expected and it surprised me in different ways. I don't think it is perfect, but this is something I like a lot about Madonna's albums. For me it belongs to her best albums, specially sonically and conceptually. It has strong messages, that unfortunatelly can be misunderstood (for instance Killers who are partying). It is a very human album, appealling to humanity and I think that the "world music" sound/aspect fits this humanity character very well. I still can't say for sure if I think it is better than the one or the other album, specially because Madonna's albums (with a few exceptions) always fluctuate in me: sometimes I like the one album more than the others. But what I can say is that it definitely belongs to my top 5 and for me it is the best album since Confessions. Although I love many songs of Rebel Heart and a few songs of MDNA (this is in fact my least favorite Madonna Album) I feel these albums doesn't have a clear concept (specially MDNA, Rebel Heart suffered from the leaks) and the concepts behind Madonna's albums are always very important to me (Erotica for instance is unbelieveably incredible). Confessions seems to be the last album where music and concept worked well (repeating: imo Rebel Heart was on the right way but due to the leaks it didn't turned out what Madonna wanted it to be).

I really love MX and am very proud of Madonna. 

Edited by Geiger83

Is God Control just a promo track with video like Dark Ballet?

maybe it goes like this...

Official singles:

1. Medellin

2. Crave

3. Faz Gostoso

4. Crazy (music video with the accordion madonna?) 😊

Promo songs & videos

1. I Rise

2. Future

3. Dark Ballet

4. God Control

5. Batuka

On 6/27/2019 at 11:08 AM, Geiger83 said:

I really love MX and am very proud of Madonna. 

Wow, I completely agree with your entire assessment, even concerning past albums. Very well said! I am so proud and surprised at the brilliance of Madame X!

2 hours ago, Simo9jo said:

Wow, I completely agree with your entire assessment, even concerning past albums. Very well said! I am so proud and surprised at the brilliance of Madame X!

Nice! Thanks for the positive resonance😘