FULL Madonna interview with Harry Smith (The Today Show)

27 minutes ago, Jeby said:

Who is this person she is in love with that she has managed to hide away all these years? So curious

good to hear she's in love.

who could it be? 

Fantastic interviews this time around and so nice to see the journalists thanking her for all she has done and asking her if she knows what she means to people.

When did Harry look away? Madonna is so intimidating. I felt intimidated just watching that bit of the interview and I am not Harry. What question did she ask that he looked away? Did anyone notice?

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks

Love this interview.  Harry definitely gets her.  I love how articulate and witty she is in this one.  It's so refreshing to see an interview from her from the states, where they aren't putting her on the defense.  What a great chemistry they have. 

Did anyone pick up what Madonna assumed Harry was lying about (as she put him on the spot about looking away at one point when answering the question)?  I hope it wasn't about when he said he listened to the full album because I felt he was being genuine when answering that. 

5 hours ago, Jeby said:

Who is this person she is in love with that she has managed to hide away all these years? So curious

I'm wondering about that too.. And it's so obvious that she's in a complicated relationship (shown through some of her songs lyrics)... Like crave, crazy..

I actually have this theory that Madonna is single right now and very happy being single, and that's why the album is so good. She's singing about past loves and she's also singing about herself. I Don't Search is a very telling song.

It's kinda like the Erotica era. She was just sleeping around and being sort of an exploratory member of the queer community and immersing herself in a subversive counter culture. She more or less let go of all that once her biological clock came racing at her like a freight train, but I think she's back in that headspace. No fucks given, self love, at peace. No wonder the album is so enchanting

I loved this interview so much. He seems to actually respect her intellect and believe that she has something to say, while also not getting overwhelmed by how intimidating her presence can be. 

Such a super interview and she looked just beautiful.  I'm so curious who she is in love with? Whoever it is and if true, I hope they can keep it a secret for as long as possible. 

4 hours ago, IsaacHarris said:

WOW. I love when he called her "fierce & simultaneously vulnerable!"

Yes! I notice a delicate fragility that may be love or may be the relentless pressure of media scrutiny and fatigue. It was also apparent in the Today interview after the GLAAD awards ceremony. So powerful but so close to tears. She’s a peaceful warrior. 

This is how one conducts an interview with M. Harry is a seasoned media practitioner and he skillfully turns this interview into an incisive, open and friendly conversation. Madonna is obviously is comfortable with him. 

Edited by toujours

10 minutes ago, pieciolot said:

I loved it. No idea why she was so nervous though. Her upper lip kept quivering. Never seen that before in any of her interviews.

I have. Madonna has always had an anxiety problem in public. Her hands are always shaking and she often sounds breathless. I have mentioned this before. It's amazing that she covered it up all these years. I wish when she writes her book she actually details it. She eventually relaxes but in general the first few minutes of many Madonna public appearances, look at her hands. 

I liked that he didn’t quite ask “why the eyepatch?” but she supplied an additional bit of explanation that I thought was really thoughtful: “She’s wounded,” she said. So that is literal but also a metaphor, I think. (Elsewhere, when talking about the paradox/tightrope of fierce/vulnerable, desire/detachment, warrior/OPEN WOUND, she described herseld as wounded, too.)

She also offered this, which may be a bit of jest: “She sleeps with one eye open, and she looks with one eye shut...” 

So it seems she really does have her reasons for doing things. It is fashion, and it helps as a symbol of this era. 

How does one upload a video or we can't? Was gonna upload the video teaser for the Andrew Denton interview. It's funny and she seemed to enjoy him.