"Funana" Thread

i found this a bit grating on first listen.. with the wierd pitch effects and the namechecks, but now i really love it. its such a sweet song, and there's clearly sincerity in it.

It's a perfectly splendid bonus track. 

And I love that contrast between the lightheartedness of the production with the sincerity (and sadness) in the lyrics (particularly the name-checking). 

On 6/12/2019 at 10:02 PM, alcermag said:

From my POV this vid sounds like the demo of Funana

I see a white board in that video, is this from November when we got the list of songs that were being mixed? :biggrin:

ok, so this is my third time hearinf funana:

-.marc miller? who? and no michael? that´s so weird.or not, but it´s great she mentions them. Especially whitney, I mean, prince was a friend and she also liked george, but she had her problems with whitney back in the day...or whitney with her. but marc miller?

-This song ihas her voice too touched again😞

-she is really good at mixing happy/sad melodies. I still don´t know if this is a sad or a happy song

-So funana means, let´s go dancing? is there any other  cape verde reference in the song? (to its culture, I mean)

22 minutes ago, promise to try said:

-.marc miller? who? and no michael? that´s so weird.or not, but it´s great she mentions them. Especially whitney, I mean, prince was a friend and she also liked george, but she had her problems with whitney back in the day...or whitney with her. but marc miller?

-she is really good at mixing happy/sad melodies. I still don´t know if this is a sad or a happy song

-So funana means, let´s go dancing? is there any other  cape verde reference in the song? (to its culture, I mean)

Mac Miller is a rapper from Pittsburgh, he dated Ariana at one point. No MJ due to the scandals.... 

1 hour ago, ibizaboi24 said:

Mac Miller is a rapper from Pittsburgh, he dated Ariana at one point. No MJ due to the scandals.... 

that´s what I guess, no MJ due to the scandals...but marvin gaye,kurt , amy...or simply mention the ones from her generation...I don´t know MM, but it seems to me he is not in the same league...

On 7/9/2019 at 3:57 AM, ibizaboi24 said:

is she paying the families of the artists she mentions in Funana  like the celebrities rap  in vogue ? or this fee only applies when u sing it live ? if they charge , maybe she skipped MJ cuz of their  pricing charges f using MJ name 
i LOOOVE this song ( : so mucho 

On 7/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, promise to try said:

Maybe she's singing "George, Michael"

🤣

On 6/24/2019 at 7:22 PM, Flip The Switch said:

The dropping names just killed it for me. The rest is cool. 

Same here. Like I seriously couldn’t care less about Prince or Aretha, as much as I respect them as artists. But no, we don’t need them. We’re fine to just have Madonna with us! Avicci is the only one I miss out of all the ones she mentioned and that’s no shade. Like, I’m speaking from my personal stand point. To each their own. But this killed the song for me. 

4 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

Same here. Like I seriously couldn’t care less about Prince or Aretha, as much as I respect them as artists. But no, we don’t need them. We’re fine to just have Madonna with us! Avicci is the only one I miss out of all the ones she mentioned and that’s no shade. Like, I’m speaking from my personal stand point. To each their own. But this killed the song for me. 

again, all these people have being important in some moment in her life. Even that araidna boyfriend, although I would have expected more, I don´t know, george harrison...maybe Jesus is right, is george (harrison). michael (jackson)

2 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

Maybe she's singing "George, Michael"

🤣

It would have been: we need Whitney, George and Michael but it’s Whitney and George Michael. 

20 minutes ago, zephyralexxx said:

It would have been: we need Whitney, George and Michael but it’s Whitney and George Michael. 

Maybe she's talking to Michael

"We need Whitney and George, Michael!"

🤣

3 hours ago, Monsieur X said:

I'm sure during the demo process she had Micharl in there. In fact itwas probably We Need MICHAEL instead of And Mac Miller :nocomment:

This would not surprise me, it does however feel strange that she left out MJ after posting many, many instagrampics with him. 

6 minutes ago, david86 said:

This would not surprise me, it does however feel strange that she left out MJ after posting many, many instagrampics with him. 

She has stopped since Leaving Neverland and her comments about him when she has been questioned in recent interviews have been very neutral and guarded. 

Love Funana, definitely deserves an upgrade from bonus to standard album placing . Could easily replace I rise , batuka or bitch I’m loca 

14 hours ago, p4_trulo said:

is she paying the families of the artists she mentions in Funana  like the celebrities rap  in vogue ? or this fee only applies when u sing it live ? if they charge , maybe she skipped MJ cuz of their  pricing charges f using MJ name 
i LOOOVE this song ( : so mucho 

She did not have to pay for including the names of the stars in Vogue. Perhaps you are recalling the dispute that arose surrounding one of the estates (Marlon Brando, I believe) that agreed for the IMAGE to be used in the Super Bowl montage. The same visuals were to be used in the MDNAT, and apparently the estate wanted to be paid a higher fee. (This isn’t entirely uncommon; usage has to be disclosed/defined when securing image rights, and the estates of artists are often involved and given opportunity to approve the use in context, etc.) However, it seems silly that they would grant rights for a large telecast and then be uncooperative for the re-use of the same visual on tour, repeatedly. Arguably, the audience impression would be lower than the Super Bowl audience, but I digress...

Anyway, it became a controversy because she continued to use the image, even though the estate hadn’t technically given approval for that. I believe they took legal action and were compensated eventually, because I don’t believe she removed the photo.

But the payment was not connected to the names sung in the song. 

20 hours ago, Monsieur X said:

She has stopped since Leaving Neverland and her comments about him when she has been questioned in recent interviews have been very neutral and guarded. 

True. 

Must say that would have loved her to have replaced Mac Miller with Donna Summer - just my personal choice.  Think that Donna never got enough attention and respect after her death in the media compared to other stars.   

On 7/14/2019 at 2:23 AM, Katypatra said:

That’s no what I meant. No disrespect to those artists. I just find it bit kindergartens-cringe level. Pretty similar to Superpop

11 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

That’s no what I meant. No disrespect to those artists. I just find it bit kindergartens-cringe level. Pretty similar to Superpop

I gotcha. I think that’s why it’s a bonus track 

On 7/14/2019 at 11:26 AM, peter said:

She did not have to pay for including the names of the stars in Vogue. Perhaps you are recalling the dispute that arose surrounding one of the estates (Marlon Brando, I believe) that agreed for the IMAGE to be used in the Super Bowl montage. The same visuals were to be used in the MDNAT, and apparently the estate wanted to be paid a higher fee. (This isn’t entirely uncommon; usage has to be disclosed/defined when securing image rights, and the estates of artists are often involved and given opportunity to approve the use in context, etc.) However, it seems silly that they would grant rights for a large telecast and then be uncooperative for the re-use of the same visual on tour, repeatedly. Arguably, the audience impression would be lower than the Super Bowl audience, but I digress...

Anyway, it became a controversy because she continued to use the image, even though the estate hadn’t technically given approval for that. I believe they took legal action and were compensated eventually, because I don’t believe she removed the photo.

But the payment was not connected to the names sung in the song. 

Thanks a lot for explaining it very properly : ) , i juts read somewhere  that for the Superbowl she did pay  to the celebrities state about 2500 dllrs for mention them 

On 6/24/2019 at 8:22 PM, Flip The Switch said:

The dropping names just killed it for me. The rest is cool. 

This is like the 33rd song that she’s dropping names. 

On 7/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

True. 

Must say that would have loved her to have replaced Mac Miller with Donna Summer - just my personal choice.  Think that Donna never got enough attention and respect after her death in the media compared to other stars.   

Very true!