Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Madame X album general discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I INTENDED on waiting til Friday but the reviews here got the best of me.

I'm pretty much at a loss for words at this point for any sort of full review. All I can say to those that haven't listened yet is you're not ready for this. I feel like those fans that are especially in love with '92-'03 era Madonna will really appreciate this album. This is bold, fresh, new, exciting.....a very hungry and inspired Madonna.....I don't think anyone will be able to dispute that this time (that seemed to be a big argument past few albums). I really hate the term "return to form" because she's never really lost form for me BUT....she has those "special" moments and this is one of them. Despite being so diverse, this album manages to create one very distinctive atmosphere.....no album has been like that since COADF for me. Like it just takes you into it's own little separate world. I'm just absolutely stunned at the quality of work she has delivered this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kurt420 said:

Well, I INTENDED on waiting til Friday but the reviews here got the best of me.

I'm pretty much at a loss for words at this point for any sort of full review. All I can say to those that haven't listened yet is you're not ready for this. I feel like those fans that are especially in love with '92-'03 era Madonna will really appreciate this album. This is bold, fresh, new, exciting.....a very hungry and inspired Madonna.....I don't think anyone will be able to dispute that this time (that seemed to be a big argument past few albums). I really hate the term "return to form" because she's never really lost form for me BUT....she has those "special" moments and this is one of them. Despite being so diverse, this album manages to create one very distinctive atmosphere.....no album has been like that since COADF for me. Like it just takes you into it's own little separate world. I'm just absolutely stunned at the quality of work she has delivered this time.

I’m intrigued! :wow: It feels to so many fans the variety of songs are not all over the place like the past two albums. Friday can’t come soon enough! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Well, I INTENDED on waiting til Friday but the reviews here got the best of me.

I'm pretty much at a loss for words at this point for any sort of full review. All I can say to those that haven't listened yet is you're not ready for this. I feel like those fans that are especially in love with '92-'03 era Madonna will really appreciate this album. This is bold, fresh, new, exciting.....a very hungry and inspired Madonna.....I don't think anyone will be able to dispute that this time (that seemed to be a big argument past few albums). I really hate the term "return to form" because she's never really lost form for me BUT....she has those "special" moments and this is one of them. Despite being so diverse, this album manages to create one very distinctive atmosphere.....no album has been like that since COADF for me. Like it just takes you into it's own little separate world. I'm just absolutely stunned at the quality of work she has delivered this time.

See? I told you guys.

There's no denying it. This is nothing like the last 3 albums. The last time she sounded like this was Confessions. Period. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These reviews have me so excited. A lot of you guys are talking about how glad you are that its experimental. MY question is: is it still catchy? Are there some classic Madonna bops in there? Songs I'll be humming and dancing to at midnight in my room? Is the SONGCRAFT as tight as it was (I wince) pre- Hard Candy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Well, I INTENDED on waiting til Friday but the reviews here got the best of me.

I'm pretty much at a loss for words at this point for any sort of full review. All I can say to those that haven't listened yet is you're not ready for this. I feel like those fans that are especially in love with '92-'03 era Madonna will really appreciate this album. This is bold, fresh, new, exciting.....a very hungry and inspired Madonna.....I don't think anyone will be able to dispute that this time (that seemed to be a big argument past few albums). I really hate the term "return to form" because she's never really lost form for me BUT....she has those "special" moments and this is one of them. Despite being so diverse, this album manages to create one very distinctive atmosphere.....no album has been like that since COADF for me. Like it just takes you into it's own little separate world. I'm just absolutely stunned at the quality of work she has delivered this time.

Wow I’ve been reading all of the forum reviews today and reading yours just absolutely floored me. I am so unbelievably excited for Friday. Thank you for this 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, yououghttavogue said:

These reviews have me so excited. A lot of you guys are talking about how glad you are that its experimental. MY question is: is it still catchy? Are there some classic Madonna bops in there? Songs I'll be humming and dancing to at midnight in my room? Is the SONGCRAFT as tight as it was (I wince) pre- Hard Candy?

Yes, it is. But in the Mirwais way. Less loyalty to structure. The Starrah/ Dean songs are pretty different too. Melodies are there. It’s just not very conventional at all.

 

its basically like Erotica and Music. Has a few hit-friendly songs in it, but even those are really adventurous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't expecting the sound she went with. It's a VERY good album.

I'd say Rebel Heart was better. But excluding RH it's the best Madonna album since Confessions. Congratulations Madonna! You did it! And I don't even care if these teen agers with no attention spans ill buy it or not. You are an excellent song writter and musician. Always striving for excellence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ not picking on you per se, trust me, cuz I get that every Madonna album will hit different, but it’s really hard for me to imagine any fan preferring RH to this.

 

just speaking from my experience... it really makes her stuff from 2015 seem so, so conservative and flat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Well, I INTENDED on waiting til Friday but the reviews here got the best of me.

I'm pretty much at a loss for words at this point for any sort of full review. All I can say to those that haven't listened yet is you're not ready for this. I feel like those fans that are especially in love with '92-'03 era Madonna will really appreciate this album. This is bold, fresh, new, exciting.....a very hungry and inspired Madonna.....I don't think anyone will be able to dispute that this time (that seemed to be a big argument past few albums). I really hate the term "return to form" because she's never really lost form for me BUT....she has those "special" moments and this is one of them. Despite being so diverse, this album manages to create one very distinctive atmosphere.....no album has been like that since COADF for me. Like it just takes you into it's own little separate world. I'm just absolutely stunned at the quality of work she has delivered this time.

I’ve been waiting for your review- this has gotten me even more excited!! Im still going to try and wait till Friday, Thank You Thank You Thank You

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

^ not picking on you per se, trust me, cuz I get that every Madonna album will hit different, but it’s really hard for me to imagine any fan preferring RH to this.

 

just speaking from my experience... it really makes her stuff from 2015 seem so, so conservative and flat

Yes. That really comes down to taste. Madame X is certainly unusual, that can't be denied. I enjoyed it. Some people probably won't like it. Definitely not a traditional Madonna sound, but I like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, strictmachine said:

I’m dying to know who she worked with for the 3 additional tracks on the limited edition. I’m praying for more Mirwais 🙏

Yes, very curious about all the 3 songs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, systemvalues said:

Yes, very curious about all the 3 songs.

My guess is that she worked with Mirwais on funana and ciao Bella and with mike dean for back that up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not listening until Friday, but have found some things interesting from people’s comments here and on other forums:

Come Alive being described by some as resembling Body Shop but by others as mystical and dreamy.

Looking For Mercy which next to no one talked about over the last two months being called by some one of her best ever.

Batkuka being called one of her best ever by some and the least favorite of others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, strictmachine said:

I’m dying to know who she worked with for the 3 additional tracks on the limited edition. I’m praying for more Mirwais 🙏

https://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2019/05/22/madonna-interview-with-romain-burrell-for-french-magazine-tetu-translated/

Question number 15. Hope this helps 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

^ not picking on you per se, trust me, cuz I get that every Madonna album will hit different, but it’s really hard for me to imagine any fan preferring RH to this.

just speaking from my experience... it really makes her stuff from 2015 seem so, so conservative and flat

I prefer RH because it's more pure, melodic pop with mostly pure vocals for the first album since probably Confessions.  It's very mellow, relatable in everyday themes and sing-a-long able.

That said, Madame X is stunning on the songs that are the highlights.  To me, it also has a lot more filler, but it really depends on your taste/mood.  It's very artistic and in general, more straightforward political commentary than pure introspection.  Some songs are a great expression of creativity and experimentation, but I doubt I'll replay them much if any.  As a whole, the album is a work of art and her most diverse since American Life, which is also one of my favorite albums.

GOD CONTROL though.... 😍🤩  This song is like a narcotic!  At least half this album will sound absolutely divine on tour, which I'm super happy about since I didn't like half of the originally released songs.

My favorites in order are: God Control, Looking for Mercy, I Don't Search I Find, Crazy, Bitch I'm Loca, Faz Gostoso, Batuka, Crave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, strictmachine said:

My guess is that she worked with Mirwais on funana and ciao Bella and with mike dean for back that up 

same here and I hope she used the snippet she posted on instagram time ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

^ not picking on you per se, trust me, cuz I get that every Madonna album will hit different, but it’s really hard for me to imagine any fan preferring RH to this.

 

just speaking from my experience... it really makes her stuff from 2015 seem so, so conservative and flat

Lol right?? 😂

Looking for Mercy alone destroy everything in RH. Batuka shakes that album out so hard, RH actually looses 70% of that dreadful Kaney West production 😂

As much as I love several songs on RH, such as Hold Tight and Messiah, the inconsistency and heavy, gray production just makes it hard to listen to as a whole over the years. 

Madame X is magic!! Exactly what M wanted to call it originally! Cosmic orgasmic spiritual ritualistic free spirited fun packed consistent jam of an album!! ♥️❌😍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, madonnaman said:

image.png

In the "Crave" video capture above, do you see Madonna's nod to Vogue?

Of the songs released so far this Madame X era, Crave is my favorite.

MADONNAMAN

Admittedly, the first time I listened to crave I wasn’t just disappointed — I was angry. Cut to a few weeks later and I’m utterly obsessed . The songs do slowly grow on you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dany Targaryen said:

Yes. That really comes down to taste. Madame X is certainly unusual, that can't be denied. I enjoyed it. Some people probably won't like it. Definitely not a traditional Madonna sound, but I like that.

Hey, yes, for sure, everyone had different taste. There is nothing wrong in the fact that you prefer RH more. It’s a great, solid album. And even though I sort of aggressively expressed my thoughts on it in the above post, I do love the album. It’s just that Madame X is one of those albums I finally truly relate with. Almost every song on it speaks to me. And the magnificent, almost psychodelic sound just adds that magic to it. Madonna’s voice is suppressed by auto tune but I actually love it. In a weird way, it’s almost as if she wanted to suppress her ego. Very genius and honestly, works! She’s never been this humble and honest and pure since ROL!!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Katypatra said:

Hey, yes, for sure, everyone had different taste. There is nothing wrong in the fact that you prefer RH more. It’s a great, solid album. And even though I sort of aggressively expressed my thoughts on it in the above post, I do love the album. It’s just that Madame X is one of those albums I finally truly relate with. Almost every song on it speaks to me. And the magnificent, almost psychodelic sound just adds that magic to it. Madonna’s voice is suppressed by auto tune but I actually love it. In a weird way, it’s almost as if she wanted to suppress her ego. Very genius and honestly, works! She’s never been this humble and honest and pure since ROL!!   

That's a beautiful and interesting way to put it. I've only sinned once (maybe twice) and totally loved the vibe and urgency of this album, but I struggled with the vocoder. Certainly it seems like an artistic choice because it's used so heavily and so creatively, as if it were another instrument, but I kept thinking I JUST WANT TO HEAR THE WOMAN. But maybe that was part of the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

Madame X is magic!! Exactly what M wanted to call it originally! Cosmic orgasmic spiritual ritualistic free spirited fun packed consistent jam of an album!! ♥️❌😍

I just want to say that I adore your posts and I am so glad you are on this forum 🙂 

EVEN while I wag my <jealous> finger at all you leak listeners haha I'd say you're all due a spanking but as madonna fans I know youd take that as a reward:) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, thelight said:

Admittedly, the first time I listened to crave I wasn’t just disappointed — I was angry. Cut to a few weeks later and I’m utterly obsessed . The songs do slowly grow on you.

You are right, thelight. The songs do slowly grow on you. 

Crave really possesses an acoustic beauty much like her work with Avicii. I think the Crave video is her best video since Ghosttown.

Notice her Vogue pose:

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nearing the end of another listen and truly, I struggle to find a song I'd classify as filler. 

Every single track is ace! All of them are like little excursions within the big journey. You start one place and end up somewhere else. Such a masterfully crafted album! 

Have to say, even more than before hearing the album, I think Medellin was the best choice for first single. That really was a nice starting point for what was in store. It totally encapsulates the overall feel of the album.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Nearing the end of another listen and truly, I struggle to find a song I'd classify as filler. 

Every single track is ace! All of them are like little excursions within the big journey. You start one place and end up somewhere else. Such a masterfully crafted album! 

Have to say, even more than before hearing the album, I think Medellin was the best choice for first single. That really was a nice starting point for what was in store. It totally encapsulates the overall feel of the album.

Are there more haunting moments like Dark Ballet? Do some of the songs have lots of different parts and sections so that we will be playing them for months and discovering new things like with her best work?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Are there more haunting moments like Dark Ballet? Do some of the songs have lots of different parts and sections so that we will be playing them for months and discovering new things like with her best work?

Yes! I'd say DB is prob the "peak" of the haunted tracks with it's crazy arrangement but there are others the evoke that same feeling. Extreme Occident gives me that vibe. Many of the songs have a "switch up" to the beat at some point during the song. Extreme Occident is like a ballad but morphs into tribal beats, then back to ballad again. On first listen, I thought that maybe Come Alive might be the only thing close to filler (was very wrong btw) then that soaring ending kicked in. Batuka sounds like a chant with tribal-esque beats and morphs into a very trance like track......so yeah, up there with her best! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...