Madame X album general discussion

9 hours ago, Silverfox said:

A few people are saying the album has received mixed reviews but I don't agree. Almost all of the more respected publications have given 4 stars and a lot of the 3 star reviews have been positive. Maybe 'mixed' in that they are not all the same rating but it's not like the album is getting  a load of negative reviews as well as the good ones.

Q magazine used to spell out what its ratings meant and 3 stars was something like 'good but not for everybody' which I think sums this album up pretty well - although I would give it 4 stars myself, nudging 5.

I think her problem sometimes is that we/reviewers judge all of her albums against her other unparalleled work rather than what else is out at the moment.

Amen

1 hour ago, Herfaceremains said:

don’t know if this was posted anywhere, but it’s a decent interview. 

Hes cute. Is he using botox and teeth whitening?

1 hour ago, Lolo said:

I love how NME call it a „brilliant beast of an album“. Couldn’t agree more. It’s so diverse and fresh and bold. 

Absolutely. It’s an album that once you listen to it through you’re intrigued. I was excited at how fresh and bold it is. Subsequent listens have allowed me to get a good feel of everything and it’s becoming more familiar.

M has delivered a very strong album.

Just got through a full listen (including bonus tracks) ...... 

titus-gif.gif

I can't even write a proper review right now, I've been that mind-fucked....

tenor.gif

What I can say is that she has solidified herself as THE greatest popular artist - female or male - of all time. And I mean that without exaggeration. She's operating on a fundamentally different level than all her peers, past and present.

source.gif

The mother of my goddaughter, who's a writer, a musician, a divorcé, a mother and the mistress of a married man,

just sent me a message saying : 'like a fenix from the ashes, the bitch is back'. I know it's stupid, but her opinion means

the world to me. If only my bf would hurry up grading those papers, I still ahven't heard shit :rotfl:drinking champagne

now, although I'm supposed 2 wait till our listening party kicks off...

Wow. I have to say I'm a bit overwhelmed by all these rating and ranking threads lol - 2 days in, I'm just now slowly able to sort my thoughts on this album! You guys are fast :sneaky: There's just so much to take in, I had to listen several times before I could grasp the entirety of this record.

I saw a lot of posters here using the word journey and yes I'm now thinking this is really the most accurate word to describe this record! I've said before here that one of those things I love the most about M's music is how so many of her albums make for a true listening experience, they take you on a ride from start to finish. The last time I really felt this about a M record was Confessions. (HC didn't offer that feeling if you ask me and MDNA and RH, albeit good to very good albums, had way too many sequencing problems to really create this 'journey' feeling) But now with Madame X out, there's another album to add to this category!

This album really is a journey from beginning to end, through so many genres and music styles - all of it is working well and, most importantly, it all sounds authentic. I have to say my original 'dream concept' for this album was a strong focus on Portugese Fado, fused with the electronic Music/AL sound (which she sort of did with Killers) - but now after having listened to it all, the approach she took is offering so much more than 'my' vision probably could have ever produced! :lol:  In fact, I now love that she didn't go down the 'expected' route of making a 'traditional' album that's heavily leaning on one style of music - instead, she used the Portuguese influences subtly along a variety of other styles to piece together an own unique, multi-dimensional record. The result is one of her most layered and musically rich albums she's ever done!

And that's also the second thing I love most about this album, the RICHNESS of the music! From the Fado guitars to the accordeon, trumpets, piano, violins, drums, along with the different choirs....god damn the instrumentation on that record is so vibrant. Also pretty sure some of those have never appeared on a M song before!

And on top of all that vibrancy and musical escapism, she's given us one of her finest slices of experimental pop with God Control (and a honorable mention to Dark Ballet) as well as (IMO) one of her strongest ballads in the last couple of years with Looking For Mercy.

Of course there are always some things one could single out for criticism. Sure, she could have reduced the autotune a little (though it's actually not bothering me at all thanks to the fantastic music), some lyrics here and there are a bit clunky, but at the end of the day what matters most is the overall impression that the album leaves after the last song has finished...And so far, this impression is fantastic - all the more if you consider this is what she put together in her 37th year of her career.

Thank you, Madonna!

My fav. songs are the truly weird AL-like tracks.. Extreme Occident, Killers who are partying, Batuka, Looking for mercy..

I also love IDSIF, GC (but I wish the autotune was done better for IDSIF, the vocal engineer did a pretty shitty job here..)

I can do without Bitch Im Loca.. would've loved to have EO on the standard, and Back that up on the deluxe

Ciao Bella reminds me of 90s dance.. I like the voice of the male singer.

I think Killers is my ultimate fav song

4 hours ago, acko said:

The mother of my goddaughter, who's a writer, a musician, a divorcé, a mother and the mistress of a married man,

just sent me a message saying : 'like a fenix from the ashes, the bitch is back'. I know it's stupid, but her opinion means

the world to me. If only my bf would hurry up grading those papers, I still ahven't heard shit :rotfl:drinking champagne

now, although I'm supposed 2 wait till our listening party kicks off...

🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Does anyone know where I can get an HQ version of the pic on this tshirt?

MDNBN069_300x300.jpg?v=1555476434

Look in the I Rise thread. I asked for a similar pic and someone posted that very one and maybe it's HQ

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Does anyone know where I can get an HQ version of the pic on this tshirt?

MDNBN069_300x300.jpg?v=1555476434

Here's the B&W:

QacgaIL.jpg

1 hour ago, Nikki said:

My fav. songs are the truly weird AL-like tracks.. Extreme Occident, Killers who are partying, Batuka, Looking for mercy..

I also love IDSIF, GC (but I wish the autotune was done better for IDSIF, the vocal engineer did a pretty shitty job here..)

I can do without Bitch Im Loca.. would've loved to have EO on the standard, and Back that up on the deluxe

Ciao Bella reminds me of 90s dance.. I like the voice of the male singer.

I think Killers is my ultimate fav song

I dont see Extreme Occident/Batuka/LFM as AL-like tracks. They are MILES better 🙂 (I m not a big fan of AL the album). Mirwais has POSITEVELY EVOLVED.

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

I dont see Extreme Occident/Batuka/LFM as AL-like tracks. They are MILES better 🙂 (I m not a big fan of AL the album). Mirwais has POSITEVELY EVOLVED.

Mirwais has revealed himself as her most versatile producer. I wish she stays with him as a team FOREVER. 

Just now, karbatal said:

Mirwais has revealed himself as her most versatile producer. I wish she stays with him as a team FOREVER. 

True. Now I m stuck on Ciao Bella and I think they could have made a great dance album if the wanted to. IDSIF is sublime, probably my fav on MX.

Just now, karbatal said:

If I didn’t know it was Mirwais I wouldn’t have guessed. He’s on her genius level. They elevate each other’s individuality. Team Forever!

After several listenings I have a thing about Crazy. That is my favorite song. It has something that appeals me. It gives me mixed feelings. The acordeon and her vocals is a match! 

Faz gostozo is my most stream song so far. 

Evrey song is a stand out. Still liking forward to listen the 3 extra songs. My deluxe edition arrives on Monday!!! 

12 minutes ago, qaz said:

After several listenings I have a thing about Crazy. That is my favorite song. It has something that appeals me. It gives me mixed feelings. The acordeon and her vocals is a match! 

Faz gostozo is my most stream song so far. 

Evrey song is a stand out. Still liking forward to listen the 3 extra songs. My deluxe edition arrives on Monday!!! 

Crazy is SO GOOD!

8 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

What I can say is that she has solidified herself as THE greatest popular artist - female or male - of all time. And I mean that without exaggeration. She's operating on a fundamentally different level than all her peers, past and present.

source.gif

You said it!!

Ain't that the Ultimate Truth