Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

“Killers Who Are Partying” thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, MichaelDieker said:

 "Native Indian"....is not really something one says, and "if the Indian are taken"? Honey they been taken from their land for hundreds of years and I've literally never heard her say anything about it, and if she did she'd learn its Native American but hey...the intention is clear and it's a beautiful message.   

Maybe she’s talking about actual Indians. In India.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

I really, really like this album, and I get the meaning, but for me (and probaby most of the critics), it is just shockingly bad. 

In what way, I’m interested?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The lyrics -- I'll be gay, if the gay are burned?  If the poor are humiliated? Isreal incarcerated?

But it is a bit offensive.  She'll be poor, she'll be Africa.  So she's gonna give up all her wealth and move to a third world country? Sure. 

She means well, but comes across very badly.  The song is bad, and the optics of it are even worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

The lyrics -- I'll be gay, if the gay are burned?  If the poor are humiliated? Isreal incarcerated?

But it is a bit offensive.  She'll be poor, she'll be Africa.  So she's gonna give up all her wealth and move to a third world country? Sure. 

She means well, but comes across very badly.  The song is bad, and the optics of it are even worse.

Meh. She means well and it comes off well. If you are looking to get offended you will find it somewhere. 

It’s the same message she’s had since the beginning and she’s amazing for just plugging ahead no matter the culture. 

She gets shit for promoting peace, love, equality...I’ll never get it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

The lyrics -- I'll be gay, if the gay are burned?  If the poor are humiliated? Isreal incarcerated?

But it is a bit offensive.  She'll be poor, she'll be Africa.  So she's gonna give up all her wealth and move to a third world country? Sure. 

She means well, but comes across very badly.  The song is bad, and the optics of it are even worse.

I agree to the casual listener it comes across badly. And when I read the lyrics in the preview reviews I shuddered at them. But In the context of the music and the rest of the lyrics I think they are smart and concise. They aren’t poetic. But they serve a purpose. They are pop lyrics for a political spectrum. 

The whole point is it doesn’t matter that she is a rich white female. The point is she is human. And she sees humans not labels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any problem with the lyrics of Killers. It's a beautiful song, one of my faves actually, and I love the fusion of sounds from Fado and Morna.

People today just like to be offended by everything. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, headonfire said:

I don't see any problem with the lyrics of Killers. It's a beautiful song, one of my faves actually, and I love the fusion of sounds from Fado and Morna.

People today just like to be offended by everything. 

 

I agree. And I believe she is pushing against the far left just as she is against the far right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, headonfire said:

I don't see any problem with the lyrics of Killers. It's a beautiful song, one of my faves actually, and I love the fusion of sounds from Fado and Morna.

People today just like to be offended by everything. 

 

Exactly.  Why the hell don’t people get offended when mindless idiots post “Je suis Charli” or “We are Pulse,” probably just because their friends are doing so?  As if they give a shit about humanity.  We know that Madonna does.  This is a beautiful song in which she shows solidarity but then says clearly In the chorus that she is not trying to be someone she isn’t.  People want to be offended by her, to bitch about her.  Social justice warriors have made the world a worse place in many ways, and they are only “woke” when they want to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

These are probably the same people who accuse her of buying her children or adopting them for media attention.  When she had actually done some good in the world.  I still remember her saying how David was on the verge of dying when she adopted him.  Not to mention her other children, or all her charity work.

These people who rip her to shreds to tweet, but don't actually do anything of significance with their lives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

These are probably the same people who accuse her of buying her children or adopting them for media attention.  When she had actually done some good in the world.  I still remember her saying how David was on the verge of dying when she adopted him.  Not to mention her other children, or all her charity work.

These people who rip her to shreds to tweet, but don't actually do anything of significance with their lives.

I think ultimately people can’t deal with the fact that she lives her life in the best possible way. With enthusiasm and compassion and it kills the people who are caught up in their own negative worlds that they aren’t like that.  It’s so much easier for them to be dismissive and negative about her than it is to see and acknowledge another human being living an exemplary life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shaun said:

There is absolutely nothing offensive about this song. Good grief.

I agree, I'm just saying it makes it very easy for people looking to be offended.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think she's saying that if you mess w these groups, I'll be one w them and you'll be messing w me. It would be one thing if she was all talk and no action. But she's actually done things to address homophobia, poverty, women's issues and HIV/AIDS and has traveled to and spoken out about peace in the Middle East. I appreciate her committment and solidarity--would you rather she not speak up at the risk of offending someone? Aside from that, this song is gorgeous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, headonfire said:

I don't see any problem with the lyrics of Killers. It's a beautiful song, one of my faves actually, and I love the fusion of sounds from Fado and Morna.

People today just like to be offended by everything. 

 

This

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this song..i will never understand the instant backlash Madonna gets whenever she has a point of view about anything regardless of which side she is on

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

The lyrics -- I'll be gay, if the gay are burned?  If the poor are humiliated? Isreal incarcerated?

But it is a bit offensive.  She'll be poor, she'll be Africa.  So she's gonna give up all her wealth and move to a third world country? Sure. 

She means well, but comes across very badly.  The song is bad, and the optics of it are even worse.

Maybe don't read song lyrics so literally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so sick of everything being so PC these days.

The far left are getting as bad as the far right... fascism is when you don’t accept people’s opinions that are not your own and it works both ways.

Killers is a great song.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 7:54 AM, animalinstinct said:

I think the lyrics are basically saying that if you have a problem with these things then she will fight for this 

 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:37 AM, Eyeslikethedesert said:

I think she's saying that if you mess w these groups, I'll be one w them and you'll be messing w me. It would be one thing if she was all talk and no action. But she's actually done things to address homophobia, poverty, women's issues and HIV/AIDS and has traveled to and spoken out about peace in the Middle East. I appreciate her committment and solidarity--would you rather she not speak up at the risk of offending someone? Aside from that, this song is gorgeous.

Anyone who can't see that this is what she is saying, needs to be educated!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ITG said:

 

Anyone who can't see that this is what she is saying, needs to be educated!!!

of course! but some lyrics are still weird

 

6 minutes ago, Monsieur X said:

Verse lyrics are cringeworthy but chorus and musical arrangement is pure bliss. 

 

YES!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly, I find the verses checking the "standing-up-for-minority" boxes to be a relatively tired lyrical metaphor for her, but the sentiment is obviously genuine. The chorus is beyond gorgeous, however. I really love her singing in Portuguese; I could've absorbed an entire album of it.

Did she ever explain what the title means?

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...