“Extreme Occident” thread

Can someone help me GET the lyrics “I wasn’t lost “ then the the “thing that hurt the most wasn’t that I wasn’t lost”?? Just don’t get it 

On 6/13/2019 at 7:04 PM, MadFan said:

NO.

I WASN'T LOST.

It WAS, a different feeling.

A MIX of LUCIDITY,

and CRAZINESS.

But I WASN'T LOST, believe me.

:dramatic:

Yes. This.

26 minutes ago, thelight said:

Can someone help me GET the lyrics “I wasn’t lost “ then the the “thing that hurt the most wasn’t that I wasn’t lost”?? Just don’t get it 

Watch the Today show interview she explains it perfectly...literally answers your question. #paradox

34 minutes ago, boy skeffington said:

Watch the Today show interview she explains it perfectly...literally answers your question. #paradox

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, thelight said:

The way I get it:  she's looking for herself, the meaning of her life (her "center of gravity"), by trying different things, going to different places... But she's not finding anything, because this feeling of being lost is inside. not geographically or politically speaking. All she did to find herself was in vain, so it hurts.
Kinda linked to the theme of I don't search I Find I guess.

This song is very enigmatic, there should be other interpretations. I'd love to read them as well

I am so surprised this was not included on the standard edition!  Not just because I love it but that M seems to as well.  Not only did she quote from it in her GLAAD Awards speech and Today Show interview as @Shane mentioned but it also featured prominently in the Madame X teaser.  It's not a typical ballad with a typical song structure but it really resonates and has a real intimate vulnerability to it. I can see this working really well as a tour interlude.  Stunning track

An amazing track indeed, I am also wondering why it was omited from the standard version. It's quite similar to RH I think. Here again, I love how she is mixing the different cultural aspects in one song.

From the first IG video, I was very curious about that song. From all songs of Madame X, I think this one is possibly the most personal.

What I got from the lyrics and interviews, she is remembering all the shit she suffered throughout her career for speaking her mind with everyone saying she was crazy, a whore, even the devil (in the Erotica era). She felt lost at the time, but in the end she realised she was not, she was just expressing herself. Guess it has a lot to do with her billboard speech.

Madonna Woman of The Year Full Speech

Edited by hungup

Ok, this is my favorite song from Madame X. It's bold, it's a statement, it's delicate, it's fragile. The guitars, the piano, the percussion, the trap beats. This is everything and I can't wait to see her performing this song on tour.

I thought the deluxe version was the true standard version as that's the one which has been getting the reviews etc. I read the standard version is a contractual thing?

1 hour ago, tasteinmen said:

I thought the deluxe version was the true standard version as that's the one which has been getting the reviews etc. I read the standard version is a contractual thing?

Yeah, the standard version seems absolutely pointless to me other than the great cover, and it’s a shame that it’s being sold everywhere but Target.  The whole world needs to hear the full Madame X with blonde cover!

Guest eroticerotic
On 6/15/2019 at 12:24 AM, thelight said:

That who she strives to be now is who she was then, before fame or anything that caused her to doubt herself along the way.  Looking back she sees her young self as having had the right idea and now she’s trying to get back to that. And that seems to hurt her I’m assuming she feels bittersweet about it like she wasted time with doubting herself but on the other hand it was necessary.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:50 PM, dcbyebyebaby said:

I really like it but the "Life is a circle.." part would be better if it didnt just repeat the same line over and over.

I think she should have sung in between the verses instead of so many times at the end

On 6/11/2019 at 10:19 AM, jonur said:

Extreme Occident is the heart of this album for me. Every album of Madonna's has a "heart" for me and for MX, it's this one. 

I can't even describe the way it hits home for me... ugh, love love love... all her songs/albums come out at the PERFECT time in my life. 

Thank you, M. 

Oh, it's interesting to know which part is the heart of each album of hers according to your perspective!! 

Can you list them? :wow:

I love it more each time I hear it. Madonna and percussions (and strings) just mix.

It’s such a powerful song, like Easy Ride part 2. There’s so much depth in the lyrics, and her delivery is touching. Many songs on this album have a chant-like quality, and here it’s all about the “life is a circle” part. It gives me goosebumps every time. 

21 minutes ago, Andra said:

Extreme Occident is THAT bitch....I can't express how much I love this song.

More and more this is the one I'm going to!! I listened to it 3 times in a row just this morning.

12 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

More and more this is the one I'm going to!! I listened to it 3 times in a row just this morning.

I can't stop listening to it...and to think that when she posted the very first teaser of it on IG I was completely indifferent to it.

So after all is said and done, it seems that Madame X features some of her all time great vocals, and I feel one of those is Extreme Occident.

The plaintive and emotional way that she sings “And I’ve got the right” pulls at my heart strings like only she can.

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

So after all is said and done, it seems that Madame X features some of her all time great vocals, and I feel one of those is Extreme Occident.

The plaintive and emotional way that she sings “And I’ve got the right” pulls at my heart strings like only she can.

I couldn't agree with you more. That entire section of the song leading into the Portuguese section is absolutely jaw-dropping.