“Extreme Occident” thread

I was out for a drive with a friend the other weekend, with my phone playing music on shuffle, and when this song came on, my friend asked "Is this Madonna?" She only likes 80s Madonna as fun, happy music, but I thought it was interesting that even on experimental songs, Madonna still keeps her recognisable qualities and sounds.

2 hours ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

I was out for a drive with a friend the other weekend, with my phone playing music on shuffle, and when this song came on, my friend asked "Is this Madonna?" She only likes 80s Madonna as fun, happy music, but I thought it was interesting that even on experimental songs, Madonna still keeps her recognisable qualities and sounds.

Be careful what you say here regarding your friends. It’s almost a banned subject. 

Same happened to me with someone who is listening ONLY to electronic DJ sets for hours and when he heard a song from Madame X in my car, he immediately recognized her,

though he doesn’t know any of her post-Celebration music. 

On 7/9/2019 at 11:44 AM, Bitch I'm Christian said:

I was out for a drive with a friend 

I saw the word "friend" and I stopped reading the rest. I don't even know what happened there, I am just glad my eyes managed to avoid them. 

On 7/9/2019 at 1:44 PM, Bitch I'm Christian said:

Yes, her voice is very distinctive and wonderful.   Even when her music is so varied and different,  her beautiful voice shines through and is very recognisable - in a great way too.  

I love Veni Vidi Vici, but Extreme Occident is even more powerful to me as the story of her life set to song.  There is something about the lyrics and the way she sings this song that make me feel the weight of all the people who have been cruel to her, a woman who has done so much for the world with her message and beautiful music.  And there is a complexity to the lyrics as she talks about how she silenced her own voice at times when she actually was never wrong, never lost at all.  Possibly one of the most important songs of her career?

• 1 month later...

Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle

On 7/11/2019 at 4:10 AM, Shane said:

I love Veni Vidi Vici, but Extreme Occident is even more powerful to me as the story of her life set to song.  There is something about the lyrics and the way she sings this song that make me feel the weight of all the people who have been cruel to her, a woman who has done so much for the world with her message and beautiful music.  And there is a complexity to the lyrics as she talks about how she silenced her own voice at times when she actually was never wrong, never lost at all.  Possibly one of the most important songs of her career?

THIS

On 7/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, Shane said:

This right here!! 

21 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle Life Is A Circle

PERFECT. I m almost decided its the best song on MadameX (but I love so many others too) and certainly one of her absolute best!!!!

On 8/18/2019 at 1:57 PM, frzndrwnwrld said:

Post of the year. I'm obsessed with this song. 

1 hour ago, boy skeffington said:

Post of the year. I'm obsessed with this song. 

On 8/18/2019 at 4:57 PM, frzndrwnwrld said:

76DAEEE2-4422-4C1D-94A9-6B2AA82904BC.gif

On 7/11/2019 at 7:24 AM, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes, her voice is very distinctive and wonderful.   Even when her music is so varied and different,  her beautiful voice shines through and is very recognisable - in a great way too.  

There’s nothing like her voice. This song is one of my favourites, because it’s so heartfelt. “I came from the mid west” is something that hits my soul. A pure Madonna lyric right there. 

On 7/11/2019 at 3:10 AM, Shane said:

Agree! That's why MX, for me, stands out as something unique in all her works. She's put so much of her soul into it, and there's also so many layers to it as well, musically and visually.

2 hours ago, Drowned World said:

Agree! That's why MX, for me, stands out as something unique in all her works. She's put so much of her soul into it, and there's also so many layers to it as well, musically and visually.

Nobody does ballads like Madonna. Nobody. Look at her last two albums alone and look at the quality of the ballads. Joan of Arc, HeartBreakCity, Extreme Occident, Looking For Mercy, etc. They have power and soul, which isn’t easy to capture. But Madonna captures it all the time. 

18 hours ago, the-queen said:

Nobody does ballads like Madonna. Nobody. Look at her last two albums alone and look at the quality of the ballads. Joan of Arc, HeartBreakCity, Extreme Occident, Looking For Mercy, etc. They have power and soul, which isn’t easy to capture. But Madonna captures it all the time. 

I agree.  M is a ballad master.  We need a Something to Remember 2 some kind of bad.  Susan Boyle remade You'll See and it was shit.  There was nothing special about Susan's version.  Susan can sing very well but it is M that makes her ballads sparkle.  Every M remake that I come across fails the test and that is even more true when it comes to M's ballads. It is the magic inside of M that makes her ballads so beautiful.  You can't practice that.  You can't  learn that and you can't  counterfeit that.  

1 hour ago, sul8323 said:

I agree.  M is a ballad master.  We need a Something to Remember 2 some kind of bad.  Susan Boyle remade You'll See and it was shit.  There was nothing special about Susan's version.  Susan can sing very well but it is M that makes her ballads sparkle.  Every M remake that I come across fails the test and that is even more true when it comes to M's ballads. It is the magic inside of M that makes her ballads so beautiful.  You can't practice that.  You can't  learn that and you can't  counterfeit that.  

You’ll see ....is a stunning ballad by all accounts...but the fact it was covered by singers known for their “amazing”, high range, voices, Susan Boyle and Shirley Bassey it simply showed (not that was needed) how wonderful vocalist is Madonna....her sensibility has been yet unmatched in this particular song as it was on her all gorgeous ballads. Something to remember is a masterpiece collection of songs....coming from someone often known as queen of the dance floor.

3 hours ago, justinian said:

You’ll see ....is a stunning ballad by all accounts...but the fact it was covered by singers known for their “amazing”, high range, voices, Susan Boyle and Shirley Bassey it simply showed (not that was needed) how wonderful vocalist is Madonna....her sensibility has been yet unmatched in this particular song as it was on her all gorgeous ballads. Something to remember is a masterpiece collection of songs....coming from someone often known as queen of the dance floor.

The intro to BIM on the live album says it all: “You’re invincible. You’re ordained by God.” Madonna was put on this Earth to be an icon, and very few people reach that status. Susan Boyle and even Shirley Bassey have respectable careers of their own, but one word screams superstar - MADONNA. Often imitated, but never bettered.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this too... It still keeps the subtlety, but the little production additions just  take it somewhere new. One of my fav songs from this album. Played the original to death, so always cool to have an alternative version to transition to....

Edited by bumholegeorge
Spelling

2 hours ago, bumholegeorge said:

I really like this too... It still keeps the subtlety, but the little production addictions just  take it somewhere new. One of my fav songs from this album. Played the original to death, so always cool to have an alternative version to transition to....

This is a very sweet version, thank you! Chilled out and moody. Am I right it samples the beat from Enigma's Sadeness?

This treatment reminds me of an unofficial Erotica remix that contained samples from The Beast Within/JML mashed up with Enigma's Mea Culpa.