Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

“God Control” thread - video coming #soon


Recommended Posts

This song takes you from different eras of dance music, from 60s to 70s to 80s to 90s to 00s to 2010s and the future.If you listen to the background production, it morphs into all these generations while remaining so current and futuristic.Its an absolute masterpiece.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, justi5myluv said:

Anyone has any theory as to why she sang the way she did in the beginning? Almost like clenching her jaw or mumbling. Does it represent the rage or anger she is trying to suppress? I mean, she sounded like she was singing from the dentist chair 😆 

😂😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I did not like the way she sang the first part at the very beginning.   Madonna has one of the most beautiful, clear and emotional voices of any artist ever -  something I treasure her for and think she is never rated enough on -  and I just don't like her voice sounding like she is mumbling.  So many other singers mumble and I always hate it.  Otherwise,  love the rest of the song and how she sings it throughout the rest of it.  

I have a feeling that her lips will be sawn (is that the correct verb form?) just like on the album cover. In my opinion she can finally express herself when the euphoric part kicks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I have a feeling that her lips will be sawn (is that the correct verb form?) just like on the album cover. In my opinion she can finally express herself when the euphoric part kicks. 

exactly. she enunciates so clearly on songs like "extreme occident" so it obviously has purpose and i think it adds to the effect of what she's singing. can't wait for the video.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I have a feeling that her lips will be sawn (is that the correct verb form?) just like on the album cover. In my opinion she can finally express herself when the euphoric part kicks. 

Agree. This isn’t an instance of Madonna singing poorly (mumbling) and accepting a bad take. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely one of the best on the album I can't wait for the video. I do dislike the way she sings the first verse though but I understand its a creative choice so it's cool. The choir, that build, the way it becomes a disco beat banger I just adore it. I get why it wasn't the first single though it is very different and maybe a little weird to start off the campaign off with she needed some tracks that would appeal to locals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I have a feeling that her lips will be sawn (is that the correct verb form?) just like on the album cover. In my opinion she can finally express herself when the euphoric part kicks. 

Yep I guess it s about that instagram post where she had her mouth covered in some kind of a glittered mask...dunno!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the grill-voice at the beginning is also a nod to early autotune techniques heard on some 70s disco songs. The method has been perfected since then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Artistically this is a (or maybe the) highpoint of the album, and her whole career. Such a bold and stunning piece of work. I adore the choir, the vintage disco and the whirling strings – I mean WOW! Together with Dark Ballet, it’s like going to a very strange Sunday mass and leaving it feeling ecstatic even though you’re an atheist. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rukydee said:

This song takes you from different eras of dance music, from 60s to 70s to 80s to 90s to 00s to 2010s and the future

Where do you hear 1960s in GC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, karbatal said:

"It's a weird kind of energy
A bizarre thing that happens to be
An abnormal fraternity
And I feel more than sympathy"

 

I wish this part was longer and was more prominent in the song! It's classic Madonna! 

Each time I listen to this part I could cry. Really, is so amazing and for me the climax of this album

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LVX said:

I kinda wish this had been the lead single. It’s a lot catchier than Medellin and it represents the album better.

I agree, but I think M's team adopted the strategy of reaching different listeners through the first feats (Maluma/ Swae Lee) for streaming purposes and reserved God Control to be released now. I personally think it should have been better to release it as first single and then release the feats. I hope it becomes a hit though

Edited by Geiger83
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nightcutter said:

I think the grill-voice at the beginning is also a nod to early autotune techniques heard on some 70s disco songs. The method has been perfected since then.

That voice is not because of the grills.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that this song is a huge artistic accomplishment for Madonna. She combined so many things she does well into one song, it's quite a feat.

I personally love the clenched teeth at the beginning of the song, it's a really fresh and different vocal expression for her. It fits perfectly with what she's singing about - she's actually saying that she understands why people get a gun and why people give up. It's very sobering and I love how her anger and sadness sound like they're seeping out of her mouth, very affecting. I also love that she says "it makes me laugh" twice when referring to leaders who say they're trying to help. 

I think the highlight of the song for me is after she sings "a new democracy" and whispers a repeat of the first verse. We start to hear the choir again from the first part of the song and the way the rhythm interplays with the strong disco beat is utterly fantastic. I think this will be one of those songs with strong replay value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Priceless said:

I agree that this song is a huge artistic accomplishment for Madonna. She combined so many things she does well into one song, it's quite a feat.

I personally love the clenched teeth at the beginning of the song, it's a really fresh and different vocal expression for her. It fits perfectly with what she's singing about - she's actually saying that she understands why people get a gun and why people give up. It's very sobering and I love how her anger and sadness sound like they're seeping out of her mouth, very affecting. I also love that she says "it makes me laugh" twice when referring to leaders who say they're trying to help. 

I think the highlight of the song for me is after she sings "a new democracy" and whispers a repeat of the first verse. We start to hear the choir again from the first part of the song and the way the rhythm interplays with the strong disco beat is utterly fantastic. I think this will be one of those songs with strong replay value.

yeah, the part at the beginning is the most powerful set up for the song. It makes perfect sense--she's incredibly angry and it works beautifully. It's an incredible song--one of the best of her entire career. 

Just stunning--can't wait to hear it live. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nightcutter said:

I think the grill-voice at the beginning is also a nod to early autotune techniques heard on some 70s disco songs. The method has been perfected since then.

 

Yes

Loving this track so much

Loving the entire album tbh

There's a couple of songs that I'd rate 7.5

Everything else is 9 and 10 material in my eyes

That's how brilliant, interesting, fresh, experimental, bold this new set is

And all accomplished while once again taking risks with her audiences

 

 

I agree with  @karbatal    about the stylistic choice in the beginning of the song

Transitioning from mumbling to clarity is done on purpose and it represents the journey from doubt and oppression to freedom and enlightenment/celebration

Nothing is left to chance with Madame Ciccone

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Geiger83 said:

I agree, but I think M's team adopted the strategy of reaching different listeners through the first feats (Maluma/ Swae Lee) for streaming purposes and reserved God Control to be released now. I personally think it should have been better to release it as first single and then release the feats. I hope it becomes a hit though

 

It's obviously a great song and a masterful effort on her part but tbh I don't see this working as a commercial first single

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, XXL said:

 

It's obviously a great song and a masterful effort on her part  but tbh In don't see this working as a commercial first single

Totally agree. One of my favorite but would be a bad choice for a 1st single. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, karbatal said:

That voice is not because of the grills.

 

It's a combination of elements and yes, the grills accentuate the wilful mispronunciation of the opening words

They give it that slurring effect, just like the lowered speaking tone etc do

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, runa said:

Totally agree. One of my favorite but would be a bad choice for a 1st single. 

 

:thumbsup:

 

A song like HU fits first single material billing, as far as uptempo tracks go. But this one is as experimental as just about most songs on this album. Structurally and stylistically, and it's this experimentation that makes it so good and enthralling but first single material should always mantain some neutrality and a classic pop hook vibe to it, uniformity to it, if it makes sense, the complete change of tone and pace from the beginning to the end of the song makes it anything but uniform, which doesn't mean that it isn't great no less

Even Medellin which fits that description more contains some variations from its genre, so I think she did the right thing not releasing God Control as a first single. Her choice of album appetizers was varied but still somewhat kept things mostly within a mainstream sensibility, then fans or casual listeners get to hear the full spectrum of new songs and BAM, instantly blown away by them

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Phineaspoe said:

IMO with a nice remix that essentially restructures the song to be a bit more predictable she’d be all set for her Believe moment...

you're giving the general public too much credit, pretty much every #1 of the last two years has been trash bar a few exceptions. In this climate, god control is too good to do well.

radio is filled with rubbish, i'd like her to get that believe moment but having an album this good is way more important to me, it could be debut at #178 and it's still a masterpiece, i don't care if the public are too dull/dumb/dreary to get it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Phineaspoe said:

IMO with a nice remix that essentially restructures the song to be a bit more predictable she’d be all set for her Believe moment...

 

I think Madonna doesn't need or ever needed a "Believe moment" in her career

A "Believe moment" would be subpar for a star of Madonna's calibre

Misplaced reference imo

 

 

Madonna has had something as huge as HU when she was 47, she doesn't need to have that disco banger moment for the rest of her life to be the great Madonna that she obviously still is, just like she shouldn't do Ray Of Light part II, III and IV

Believe was never HU, Music or any uptempo opener that Madonna's been serving many times in her career. And more importantly some fans seem to forget that Cher has had a very patchy and inconsistent career as far as timelines and charts go. That 1998 success was preceded by almost two decades of drought so it really doesn't count as much as any Madonna worldwide hit because Madonna has released at a constant and frequent pace and 95% of times to great commercial and critical reception, speaking in sheer discographic terms

Sorry but every time people bring up Cher's Believe "because she was 53 when it came out" I laugh a bit and scratch my head in disbelief

In Italy, like in most other continental Europe countries, if you ask anybody from my generation (I'm in my mid 30s) who Cher is they wouldn't have a clue about it but Madonna is, love her or hate her, a household name whether we're talking teens, 20 year olds and above. It's a completely different ballpark. I don't think she needs ANY Believe moment at all

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Carey said:

radio is filled with rubbish, having an album this good is way more important to me, it could be debut at #178 and it's still a masterpiece, i don't care if the public are too dull/dumb/dreary to get it.

 

 

Amen

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think she needs it either, but that she could have one. 

And it's not about Cher's age imo, but that she was that age AND had been out of the charts for at least eight years. But again, I don't give a either way. It was just an observation. I do hope as many people as possible get to appreciate God Control for the masterpiece that it is, and unlike others I always hold out hope. I was once 20 and fell in love with Madonna singing about soy lattes... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...