MADAME X album reviews

2 minutes ago, fandonna said:

And on “Looking for Mercy”, it would be the sampled speech from survivors of the Parkland school shooting.

did the independent really listen to the album?? lol

I had same😳 when I start reading that piece of unprofessional journalism ...

i'm sure that the independent didn't listen to the album. they just wanna shade madonna without any clue. why is this shit counted for metacritic? nonsense!

3 out of 5 seems to be the norm! Shocking

Financial Times 3 out of 5 

Madonna turns ‘secret agent’ with a Latin accent on Madame X

Reggaetón meets classical piano and electropop on an eclectic, expansive 14th album

Since her last truly notable album, 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor, Madonna’s records have suffered an uncharacteristic degree of uncertainty. Musical trends have been chased rather than assimilated. She has tried to project both vulnerability and indomitability. The best-selling female performer in pop history has lost her old aura of invincibility and come to seem fallible. Against this backdrop, Madame X strikes a defiant note. “I’ve got the right to choose my own life,” she announces. While it is hard to imagine anyone depriving one of the wealthiest women in US music of that right, at least she exercises it boldly on her 14th album. Although it has a scattershot quality, the scattering is done with a devil-may-care bravado. There is a prominent Latin influence to the music, partly derived from the singer relocating to Lisbon so her son, David, could pursue a football career. Several songs find her singing in Portuguese, and there is the occasional hint of fado amid the contemporary pop production. “Batuka” ditches chart music entirely in favour of a traditional style from the Cape Verde Islands, a former Portuguese colony, in which Madonna and a choir warn of “a storm ahead” over an insistent percussive groove. Other Latin-influenced songs coincide with current pop trends, genres such as reggaetón having crossed over into non-Spanish-speaking markets in recent years. “Medellín” and “Bitch I’m Loca” pair her with Colombian singer Maluma: both achieve an entertaining union between her and his musical worlds. There is a well-worked dancehall flavour to “Future”, in which she is joined by Quavo, a member of rap group Migos, while a duet with another US rapper, Swae Lee, has a sweetly understated feel. The album’s main producer is Mirwais Ahmadzaï, who contributed to Confessions on a Dance Floor and co-produced 2000’s Music and 2003’s American Life. He helms the house-music track “I Don’t Search I Find”, a throwback to the days when Madonna’s musical choices followed a clearer, more certain path. “Dark Ballet”, which Mirwais has also produced, shows how far she has strayed from that path. The song illustrates the confusing concept behind Madame X, whose title, according to Madonna, refers to a multi-dimensional alter ego: “Madame X is a secret agent. Travelling around the world. Changing identities. Fighting for freedom,” and so on. In “Dark Ballet”, this chameleonic character sketch translates into eccentric musical segues between classical piano and Kraftwerk-style electronic pop, with Madonna singing about how “I can dress like a boy, I can dress like a girl”. No, me neither. Trying to be something to everyone has been Madonna’s Achilles heel over the past decade. During the odder moments of Madame X, she actively flaunts that heel, as with the universalising phrases uttered in “Killers Who Are Partying” (“I will be poor if the poor are humiliated . . . I will be Islam if Islam is hated”). These tracks bring a disjointed feel to the album, but also an unfettered and expansive sensibility. That is the “X” factor that elevates it above its immediate predecessors.

Up to now, the reviews I am aware of (both counting for Metacritic or not)

The Sun 5/5

The Mirror 5/5

The Guardian 4/5

The Observer 4/5

Daily Mail 4/5

NME 4/5

Q 4/5

The Times 4/5

inews.co.uk 4/5

Rolling Stone 3/5

The Irish Times 3/5

The Telegraph 3/5

The Independent 3/5

The FT 3/5

Time Out 3/5

Clash Music 6/10

EW 67/100 (B-)

Ugh
De Morgen gave her 3/5 here, and they didn't even listen to the album.
They just translated the bits about the album from the New York Times feature and slapped on 3 stars at the end.

I guess Interscope isn't organising anything then 4 the international 'music press' (except for the huge markets).
That's a shame really because Bruce Springsteen is getting reviewed everywhere in proper publications, a week in advance of the release.

As it should b.

10 minutes ago, smirnoff_ice said:

Up to now, the reviews I am aware of (both counting for Metacritic or not)

The Sun 5/5

The Mirror 5/5

The Guardian 4/5

The Observer 4/5

Daily Mail 4/5

NME 4/5

Q 4/5

The Times 4/5

Rolling Stone 3/5

The Irish Times 3/5

The Telegraph 3/5

The Independent 3/5

The FT 3/5

Time Out 3/5

Clash Music 6/10

EW 67/100 (B-)

And we are still expecting the most harsh reviews

wish I still had the energy when it comes to madonnaland to throw a fit, but it's useless @acko 

unless she drastically changes things when it comes to the label, promo... nothing will happen.. there's no words to describe how much I hate Interscope/livenation. and no doubt, Springsteen will easily get the #1 and the "promo" we get is what a flop she is 

3 hours ago, fandonna said:

And on “Looking for Mercy”, it would be the sampled speech from survivors of the Parkland school shooting.

did the independent really listen to the album?? lol

Just ridiculous that this so called journalists are allowed to review an album, and don't even get their facts right!

30 minutes ago, Nikki said:

wish I still had the energy when it comes to madonnaland to throw a fit, but it's useless @acko 

unless she drastically changes things when it comes to the label, promo... nothing will happen.. there's no words to describe how much I hate Interscope/livenation. and no doubt, Springsteen will easily get the #1 and the "promo" we get is what a flop she is 

No critical acclaim, although the album is fantastic. I find it a bit depressing.

we have the AP press review which is set to be released. it was 84 and counted for Metacritic? hope so!

also there will be 2 other reviews (Mojo, the 405). they were 80 when  they appeard in albumoftheyear.org but they were gone. hopefully they're correct.

anyway i'm scared of pitchfolk, NY times, LA times, Spin, Consequence of Sound.....

14 minutes ago, side_streets said:

No critical acclaim, although the album is fantastic. I find it a bit depressing.

I wouldn't exaggerate though...

5 minutes ago, acko said:

I wouldn't exaggerate though...

I do exaggerate, because I really think Madonna deserves to be respected.

I'll take my pills now. 😂

Metacritic is quite nothing for the general public but it is so annoying when in stans world they use that shit to criticize albums and
artists. so we need a good average. i really don't want that shit to ruin her artistry.

6 minutes ago, side_streets said:

I do exaggerate, because I really think Madonna deserves to be respected.

I'll take my pills now. 😂

it upsets me too. She deserves more. Critiques and media love to hate her which pisses me off! I haven't heard the album myself yet but there is an overwhelming love from the fans who heard it. How can it be a 3? Average??

7 minutes ago, Joao said:

They also called it bizarre! Is this the 10th review that called it bizarre??

17 minutes ago, side_streets said:

They fixed the review.

they didn't listen to the album.

"Madonna’s new album is full of dance tracks."  LOL

there are 4-5 dance tracks on the album. not full of dance tracks. 

Edited by fandonna

2 minutes ago, fandonna said:

they didn't listen to the album.

"Madonna’s new album is full of dance tracks."  LOL

there are 4-5 dance tracks on the album. not full of dance tracks. 

Maybe it made them dance... in a different way.