MADAME X album reviews

2 hours ago, eroticerotic said:

I understand  why they would say it’s bizarre. I don’t think that’s a bad thing. The album is bjorkish, the songs aren’t really in  standard pop formats. None of them are truly safe 

It might be understandable...but still somehow difficult to accept .... why them...(graduated) critics....use “bizarre”...aka perhaps a more “sophisticated/polished” manner of not using the popular “interesting”....aka I’m not skilled/prepared  to put this in any box i have available  for her (she’s none of the madonna’s but she is not Björk either) aka if them, the critics don’t get it, from first attempt,  they should at least allow themselves to dare lifting up their jobs, to show their potential....skills....so that, to judge/evaluate/reveal to the “public” ,THE “how bizzare”....rather then just to stay flatly safe at  6 out of 10....aka ”how interesting”

1 minute ago, side_streets said:

I piss on 6 out of 10 and three star reviews. 😂😂😂

They will have to reevaluate the album one day. 

Especially maddening when they praise it, can’t even think of anything bad to say about it and then rate it 3. It’s absurd

These reviewers get one listen right? Most songs have taken a couple of listens to resonate with me then BAM obsessed. Maybe why a couple of publications have done more than one? 

Just now, elijah said:

Especially maddening when they praise it, can’t even think of anything bad to say about it and then rate it 3. It’s absurd

It's Madonna. You know she is not Bjork to be praised as an artist or Byonce to be praised for her "boldness". 

She should retire or even better she should release the album of covers or acoustic versions of her old hits. 

It's not cool to love Madonna in 2019. 😂

16 minutes ago, runa said:

Not so surprised to see all these 3/5 ratings...

The album is so strange, such a journey in so many territories, I can understand some might be disturbed by it. 
And, as many people said before, these critics just can't accept M is not just a pop singer - she's way more than that and she has always been. 

So curious about this album. People are too focused on M the dancing queen. This is why she’s way ahead of any other bubble-gum pop star. 

Why are silly sites like Clash Music included in Metacritic instead of publications like Time, People, and USA Today which, while they might have flaws, are at least professional magazines.

I can understand including a few proven ones like Pitchfork, Slant, and The AV Club, but it’s a little bit of overkill with things like Clash Music and The Line of Best Fit.

On 6/9/2019 at 12:02 PM, Shane said:

Seems like we should be getting another crop soon.  Mojo, Spin, USA Today, Chicago Tribune, Attitude, Slant, Pitchfork, All Music Guide, Los Angeles Times, Consequence of Sound

“I’m waiting for you. I have always been waiting for you.”

59 minutes ago, side_streets said:

I piss on 6 out of 10 and three star reviews. 😂😂😂

They will have to reevaluate the album one day. 

This. 

39 minutes ago, side_streets said:

That review is a piece of shit. 

Never heard of that journalist and no wonder, she cant write for her life

11 minutes ago, alcermag said:

Incredible review. He's a fan.

He says this is her best album since COADF and probably her most avant garde album in sounds since Music.

God Control, Faz Gostoso and Batuka are the highlights, according to his review.

4 hours ago, dollhouse said:

Clash Music sucks, they should retire

4 hours ago, santiago said:

ClashMusic reviews was added to Metacritic,

77 now

https://www.metacritic.com/music/madame-x/madonna

4 hours ago, side_streets said:

That review is a piece of shit. 

The Clash review is absolute shit. One of the worst things I have ever read. What, like 2 paragraphs reviewing an album with 15 songs? The woman writing wouldn't know what good music is even if it hit her in the face.

All I took from the review was how critical she was of Madonna for writing/singing about political and social issues when she comes from a position of privilege. How woke of her! 🤮  If it were Beyonce, she would be praising her to high heavens. She had no knowledge of the music, no knowledge of M's work -- it was basically a review from a basic person with no expertise in music whatsoever.

1 minute ago, headonfire said:

The Clash review is absolute shit. One of the worst things I have ever read. What, like 2 paragraphs reviewing an album with 15 songs? The woman writing wouldn't know what good music is even if it hit her in the face.

All I took from the review was how critical she was of Madonna for writing/singing about political and social issues when she comes from a position of privilege. How woke of her! 🤮  If it were Beyonce, she would be praising her to high heavens. She had no knowledge of the music, no knowledge of M's work -- it was basically a review from a basic person with no expertise in music whatsoever.

She wanted to depict Madonna as a dumb privileged woman trying to hard to be avant-garde and intellectual. 

11 minutes ago, Ven Conmigo said:

Behind a paywall for me. Can you copy/paste the text here?

Madonna turns ‘secret agent’ with a Latin accent on Madame X Reggaetón meets classical piano and electropop on an eclectic, expansive 14th album Madonna strikes a defiant note with 'Madame X' ©

Since her last truly notable album, 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor, Madonna’s records have suffered an uncharacteristic degree of uncertainty. Musical trends have been chased rather than assimilated. She has tried to project both vulnerability and indomitability. The best-selling female performer in pop history has lost her old aura of invincibility and come to seem fallible. Against this backdrop, Madame X strikes a defiant note. “I’ve got the right to choose my own life,” she announces. While it is hard to imagine anyone depriving one of the wealthiest women in US music of that right, at least she exercises it boldly on her 14th album. Although it has a scattershot quality, the scattering is done with a devil-may-care bravado. There is a prominent Latin influence to the music, partly derived from the singer relocating to Lisbon so her son, David, could pursue a football career. Several songs find her singing in Portuguese, and there is the occasional hint of fado amid the contemporary pop production. “Batuka” ditches chart music entirely in favour of a traditional style from the Cape Verde Islands, a former Portuguese colony, in which Madonna and a choir warn of “a storm ahead” over an insistent percussive groove. Other Latin-influenced songs coincide with current pop trends, genres such as reggaetón having crossed over into non-Spanish-speaking markets in recent years. “Medellín” and “Bitch I’m Loca” pair her with Colombian singer Maluma: both achieve an entertaining union between her and his musical worlds. There is a well-worked dancehall flavour to “Future”, in which she is joined by Quavo, a member of rap group Migos, while a duet with another US rapper, Swae Lee, has a sweetly understated feel. The album’s main producer is Mirwais Ahmadzaï, who contributed to Confessions on a Dance Floor and co-produced 2000’s Music and 2003’s American Life. He helms the house-music track “I Don’t Search I Find”, a throwback to the days when Madonna’s musical choices followed a clearer, more certain path. “Dark Ballet”, which Mirwais has also produced, shows how far she has strayed from that path. The song illustrates the confusing concept behind Madame X, whose title, according to Madonna, refers to a multi-dimensional alter ego: “Madame X is a secret agent. Travelling around the world. Changing identities. Fighting for freedom,” and so on. In “Dark Ballet”, this chameleonic character sketch translates into eccentric musical segues between classical piano and Kraftwerk-style electronic pop, with Madonna singing about how “I can dress like a boy, I can dress like a girl”. No, me neither. Trying to be something to everyone has been Madonna’s Achilles heel over the past decade. During the odder moments of Madame X, she actively flaunts that heel, as with the universalising phrases uttered in “Killers Who Are Partying” (“I will be poor if the poor are humiliated . . . I will be Islam if Islam is hated”). These tracks bring a disjointed feel to the album, but also an unfettered and expansive sensibility. That is the “X” factor that elevates it above its immediate predecessors. ★★★☆☆ ‘Madame X’ is released on June 14 on Live Nation/Interscope/Maverick

1 minute ago, fandonna said:

this is counted for mc

not good

I think she will still stay in the high 70's BUT the important thing is that Fans are raving about the album!!

And on “Looking for Mercy”, it would be the sampled speech from survivors of the Parkland school shooting.

did the independent really listen to the album?? lol

10 minutes ago, fandonna said:

this is counted for mc

not good

Such incoherent review from the Indepndant🥴....the statements are not supported by the right arguments e.g. dark ballet is not a dance (club) track...looking for mercy (I haven’t heard it) but I assume that the sampled speech from parkland school shooting was used  only in I rise ...and following other reviews from critics and fans...it’s a ballad...