MADAME X album reviews

1 hour ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

neither do people know that Ariana released an album, let's be real, it's not the 90s anymore

exactly. ask the question on the 15th. that's what really matters. 

Guest neeto_mosqueeto
3 hours ago, Samo said:

Ask 10 random people on the street if they know that Madonna has a new Album coming out and I guarantee you not a single one would say yes.  Most would be like "she still makes music"

Thank God I finally found the self-appointed arbiter of the GP’s opinion.

Stop bitch, now sit your ass down.

You make your coworkers sound like mental defficients.The only thing credible about what you’ve offered is jack squat.

The PR campaign has been near perfection. Anyone who’s on social media for a few minutes, or reads online or print newspapers/magazines knows that Madonna has new music, videos, and is going on tour.

You’ve worked yourself up fir nothing.

Guest jamesshot

The general population in the US barely knows what is in the Mueller report and how our president obstructed justice. Forgive them if they all don't know Madonna has a new album coming out. There is a lot the US population doesn't know.

You know a Madonna album is going to be amazing when Lucy O’Brien, critic and biographer, answers a Tweet asking what her least favorite song is with Looking For Mercy, and critic and stan Dan Wootton picks the same song as his second favorite on the album.

I think all 5 songs so far have been experimental, not a catchy chorus in sight. To be honest, I didn't like any of the songs on first listen...but they all grew - massively - and it's always the growers that stay on my playlist. With more 'experimental' songs on the way, this is going to be an album with longevity.

50 minutes ago, Lolasmommy said:

Well I walked out of a random underground stop in East London today (West Ham) & right infront of the escalator was a huge poster of the blonde ‘handmaiden’ album cover (which I plan on going back to steal after midnight🤣)...so if I had asked 10 random strangers getting off at that station I guess they would know!

I have been in London since the beginning of the week and every 2 station of The Tube has a poster of Madame X. 🤩

9 minutes ago, glitter-lust said:

I think all 5 songs so far have been experimental, not a catchy chorus in sight. To be honest, I didn't like any of the songs on first listen...but they all grew - massively - and it's always the growers that stay on my playlist. With more 'experimental' songs on the way, this is going to be an album with longevity.

Great post!

I actually find the choruses of Crave and I Rise super catchy, while the other three songs to me are very layered and complex.  I love the contrast between straightforward and more complex song structures and hope to see more of each on the album.

Supposedly there is yet another four star review from Daily Mail, mentioning Looking For Mercy and Killers Who Are Partying as highlights.  Will look for it as soon as I can.

21 minutes ago, Shane said:

Supposedly there is yet another four star review from Daily Mail, mentioning Looking For Mercy and Killers Who Are Partying as highlights.  Will look for it as soon as I can.

Thanks, here it is I believe: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-7108089/Madame-X-Madonna-hits-instantly-vitality-variety-omnivorous-hunger.html

"How do you solve a problem like Madonna? That was the question in 2015 when she released her last album, Rebel Heart. And it still applies today, only more so.

Once the empress of the hit parade, she has now gone ten years without troubling the Top 20. Her UK album sales, according to Wikipedia, have plunged from 1,340,000 for Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005) to 76,500 for Rebel Heart. Even in a falling market, to lose 19 record buyers out of 20 looks like carelessness.

Her music has become poor to middling, and her judgment can be even worse, as shown at last month’s Eurovision Song Contest. But she remains a big draw: she’s on the cover of this month’s Vogue and is booked to play 15 nights at the London Palladium — even though the best seats are an uncool £480.

Once the empress of the hit parade, Madonna has now gone ten years without troubling the Top 20. Yet on her 14th album, the music hits you instantly with its vitality and variety.

For her 14th studio album she has another new image. I’d hoped to find Madonna fearlessly showing us what 60 feels like by making a record called ‘Freedom Pass’. Instead, we get a portrait of the artist as an ageless waxwork, with not a single wrinkle.

And the music? It hits you instantly with its vitality and variety, its omnivorous hunger. Working with Mirwais, who produced Music (2000), and five other co-producers, Madonna is back doing what she is good at: scanning the horizon and channelling the times.

After moving to Lisbon she has fallen for all things Latin. Her opening words, delivered in a white-hot whisper, are ‘One, two, one two, one two, cha-cha-cha’. She keeps breaking into Portuguese and Spanish. 

She duets with Anitta, the Brazilian singer, and Maluma, the Colombian rapper, who both missed the first decade of her career because they hadn’t even been born.

Latin music suits Madonna with its supple rhythms and sunny choruses. About ten of these 15 songs have pop-solid hooks, built for the mass market she once ruled. 

Looking For Mercy has one of the clearest melodies of her career, which is saying something: shame it’s on the ‘deluxe’ version of the album.

The other songs are more experimental, and uneven. Future brings back white reggae and makes it sing. Dark Ballet is four tracks in one – a piano ballad, a hip-hop chant, a steal from The Nutcracker and a speech that turns Madonna into Mary Poppins. Just the ballad would have been better.

Killers Who Are Partying is an electro-pop remake of Martin Niemöller’s famous lines about failing to stop the Nazis. ‘I’ll be Islam,’ Madonna declares, ‘if Islam is hated. I’ll be Israel if they’re incarcerated.’ The rhyme is a crime but the song comes off because its chords are as good as its intentions.

By the end, things are getting personal, with anthems called I Don’t Search I Find and I Rise. It feels as if a memoir is brewing, or an autobiographical movie. Madonna is surely pondering the success of Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman. She has the songs: a few more of them now.

5 hours ago, Martin B. said:

I have been in London since the beginning of the week and every 2 station of The Tube has a poster of Madame X. 🤩

This is going to be a great week. :tigger:

2 minutes ago, rukydee said:

This is the best reviewed Madonna Album since Ray of Light, I smell Grammy awards on the way.

Yeah it seems to be getting heaps of praise 

The Daily Mail are scum. They normally hate Madonna so if they are singing the new album's praises it must be excellent!

6 hours ago, Phineaspoe said:

Thanks, here it is I believe: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-7108089/Madame-X-Madonna-hits-instantly-vitality-variety-omnivorous-hunger.html

"How do you solve a problem like Madonna? That was the question in 2015 when she released her last album, Rebel Heart. And it still applies today, only more so.

Once the empress of the hit parade, she has now gone ten years without troubling the Top 20. Her UK album sales, according to Wikipedia, have plunged from 1,340,000 for Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005) to 76,500 for Rebel Heart. Even in a falling market, to lose 19 record buyers out of 20 looks like carelessness.

Her music has become poor to middling, and her judgment can be even worse, as shown at last month’s Eurovision Song Contest. But she remains a big draw: she’s on the cover of this month’s Vogue and is booked to play 15 nights at the London Palladium — even though the best seats are an uncool £480.

Once the empress of the hit parade, Madonna has now gone ten years without troubling the Top 20. Yet on her 14th album, the music hits you instantly with its vitality and variety.

For her 14th studio album she has another new image. I’d hoped to find Madonna fearlessly showing us what 60 feels like by making a record called ‘Freedom Pass’. Instead, we get a portrait of the artist as an ageless waxwork, with not a single wrinkle.

And the music? It hits you instantly with its vitality and variety, its omnivorous hunger. Working with Mirwais, who produced Music (2000), and five other co-producers, Madonna is back doing what she is good at: scanning the horizon and channelling the times.

After moving to Lisbon she has fallen for all things Latin. Her opening words, delivered in a white-hot whisper, are ‘One, two, one two, one two, cha-cha-cha’. She keeps breaking into Portuguese and Spanish. 

She duets with Anitta, the Brazilian singer, and Maluma, the Colombian rapper, who both missed the first decade of her career because they hadn’t even been born.

Latin music suits Madonna with its supple rhythms and sunny choruses. About ten of these 15 songs have pop-solid hooks, built for the mass market she once ruled. 

Looking For Mercy has one of the clearest melodies of her career, which is saying something: shame it’s on the ‘deluxe’ version of the album.

The other songs are more experimental, and uneven. Future brings back white reggae and makes it sing. Dark Ballet is four tracks in one – a piano ballad, a hip-hop chant, a steal from The Nutcracker and a speech that turns Madonna into Mary Poppins. Just the ballad would have been better.

Killers Who Are Partying is an electro-pop remake of Martin Niemöller’s famous lines about failing to stop the Nazis. ‘I’ll be Islam,’ Madonna declares, ‘if Islam is hated. I’ll be Israel if they’re incarcerated.’ The rhyme is a crime but the song comes off because its chords are as good as its intentions.

By the end, things are getting personal, with anthems called I Don’t Search I Find and I Rise. It feels as if a memoir is brewing, or an autobiographical movie. Madonna is surely pondering the success of Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman. She has the songs: a few more of them now.

The thing with the daily mail is, sometimes the reviews change completely when you click the same link, you can go to share the link with a friend then suddenly it changes to "embarrassing pensioner clings to remaining three fans with desperate new album" 🤣

Daily mails are hippos!!! They are never fans and always reporting Madonna issues that degrades her and make her a laughing stock of some kind just for their click baits to go up... Even though 4 stars, it seems abnormal for them to show such generosity for Queen M....  Daily mail is "incapable" of showing such kindness towards M.... something is OFF!!! 

13 hours ago, glitter-lust said:

The other songs sound very instant smashes though

"About ten of these 15 songs have pop-solid hooks, built for the mass market she once ruled"

1 hour ago, nightcutter said:

The Daily Mail are scum. They normally hate Madonna so if they are singing the new album's praises it must be excellent!

Yeah, this 4/5 review doesn’t foster any goodwill with me. One favorable review doesn’t make up for their usual scorn. Madonna’s work speaks for itself, as does the Daily Fail’s trash that passes for journalism. 

15 hours ago, jamesshot said:

The general population in the US barely knows what is in the Mueller report and how our president obstructed justice. Forgive them if they all don't know Madonna has a new album coming out. There is a lot the US population doesn't know.

tumblr_m7y0b5dkwW1qcb0rxo1_500.gif

the daily mail review is in theory good but it's still littered with the same trite attacking nonsense throughout.

Once the empress of the hit parade, she has now gone ten years without troubling the Top 20.

Her music has become poor to middling, and her judgment can be even worse

Just review the album, thanks!

Guest jamesshot
2 hours ago, Carey said:

the daily mail review is in theory good but it's still littered with the same trite attacking nonsense throughout.

Just review the album, thanks!

They can't, though. No one can. It is highly unprofessional that it passes for a review. Making juvenile digs at her should be cause for termination. "Just review the album, thanks" indeed.

How awesome is it that these reviewers who hate her (while still getting in their digs) still have to praise the music? 

The music transcends their constant noise and vitriol. That’s the most potent fuck you one can give.

Seems like we should be getting another crop soon.  Mojo, Spin, USA Today, Chicago Tribune, Attitude, Slant, Pitchfork, All Music Guide, Los Angeles Times, Consequence of Sound