Rate: Dark Ballet

Rate: Dark Ballet  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Rate: Dark Ballet

So let's do this one last time before we finally get the full listening experience in 7 days!

What do you think of the final promo track (and possibly third single) that Madame X has served us? 

Personally I'm gonna go with 'Good'. I love the experimental approach as well as the trippy Daft-Punk esque middle part. I fully agree with the reviews by NME and Times - this song is M being bold and taking musical risks. I would have loved it to develop a little longer with maybe some more oomph, but this is just really being picky...

Argh fuck it, I'm gonna give it an 'Excellent' 😄 Amazing that 36 years into her career, she's still doing musical experiments only the rarest pop artists would attempt :thumbsup:

Now it's your turn!

People will hate me for this but I am going with "okay". I love the fact that she went experimental for this track, but at the same time it feels  - for me -  a little disconnected. The video enriches the song a lot though. 

Edited by Geiger83

It’s okay. I like the lyrics but the Nutcracker stuff feels pretentious to me. I’m not sure that’s the direction the song wanted or needed to go. But since it goes there, I was expecting a ballet sequence in the video. So maybe it’s not really the song but the video that disappoints me. Someone above said the song lacks oomph. That might be it. 

Edited by bcx

Excellent!! So much creativity and innovation at this stage of her career.👍👍

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the single best thing she's done musically since "Get Together" for me. I'm obsessed with it.

14 minutes ago, Carey said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the single best thing she's done musically since "Get Together" for me. I'm obsessed with it.

Get Together? I was thinking more Frozen.

It's interesting to see where this song lands with people.

I'm just so in love with it, haven't stopped listening all morning - that video :dramatic:❤️ 

Excellent . This is what I was expecting Madame X ( with Mirwais ) to be like .

The video is also inspiring . She's walking the walk ( I know she's been walking the walk from beginning but this is next level ) and this is about her .

I might have been to hyped for this, it’s just ok to me. I thought there’d be more to it than what I heard so far, but turns out it’s all there is. So, yes, it’s ok. 

It's ok for me, I had too many expectations for it and, maybe, I am a little disappointed by now. It will grow on me for sure. 

54 minutes ago, ursula said:

I give it ten smiling bear stickers out of ten!

It is inspired, it is daring and it doesn't try to pander to the kidz.

Amen!

Fell in love with the song upon first listen. And the vocoder part is hunting because she’s expressing some very deep, sacred and personal feelings towards God, or should I say G-d, hence it’s almost like an encryption. Gunious!  

1 minute ago, Katypatra said:

Fell in love with the song upon first listen. And the vocoder part is hunting because she’s expressing some very deep, sacred and personal feelings towards God, or should I say G-d, hence it’s almost like an encryption. Gunious!  

It's Joan of Arc, not Madonna. That's why her voice sounds unrecognizable. ❤️

The song is amazing because of its ballet structure. It's not an average pop song, or an interlude like some people tend to say.

It's a ballet! 

7 minutes ago, side_streets said:

It's Joan of Arc, not Madonna. That's why her voice sounds unrecognizable. ❤️

The song is amazing because of its ballet structure. It's not an average pop song, or an interlude like some people tend to say.

It's a ballet! 

Oooh I see!! So she legit quoted Joan of Arc? 

For me it is pure art. It does not feel pretentious, coming from her. We know where she is coming from. She did Like a Prayer. For me, the song is very necessary at this moment.

FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS -- WILL LISTEN TO ON REPEAT FOR WEEKS

Might be the best track we've heard yet.

Both Mirwais tracks have both been fantastic. I'm so happy that she's getting experimental in "Dark Ballet." It's been way too long since we've heard her step outside her comfort zone like this.

27 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

Oooh I see!! So she legit quoted Joan of Arc? 

I wouldn't know that. But it's obvious Joan of Arc when she says this:

"I will not renounce my faith in my sweet Lord
He has chosen me to fight against the English" 

She fought against the English. 

3 minutes ago, side_streets said:

I wouldn't know that. But it's obvious Joan of Arc when she says this:

"I will not renounce my faith in my sweet Lord
He has chosen me to fight against the English" 

She fought against the English. 

Lol it’s “against the anguish” 😂

6 minutes ago, hungup said:

For me it is pure art. It does not feel pretentious, coming from her. We know where she is coming from. She did Like a Prayer. For me, the song is very necessary at this moment.

Yes, it’s definitely necessary at this moment. The devide is still too great. Racism, homophobia, prejudice, hate, all of that still exist. If it was their will, some people would burn anyone they hate even today.