Terrific new Guardian editorial about ageism and Madonna

I always loved The Guardian. Such a well written piece. 

It make me so angry when I see other women writing on social media that Madonna should just retire or give it up. Shouldn’t women be looking out for other women? 

56 minutes ago, Lolasmommy said:

Great article BUT I’ve got to thinking...why doesn’t Cher or Dolly Parton face the same  animosity as Madonna?

i mean Cher & Dolly are both over 70 & still making music/performing whilst still running around in skimpy outfits & keen on  maintaining the same beauty looks they had in their youth plus continued surgery...

Cher & Dolly don’t get half the shit Madonna does and are generally well loved by all

Because Madonna is a provocateur

All the others never truly questioned the place of women in the world the way Madonna has. Madonna is hated by the old patriarchal world that it's increasingly slipping away, trying to make one last attempt at self-perpretation

Cher or Dolly Parton were never political and confrontational in the capacity Madonna has always been

That's why they rarely every got challenged or downright insulted. You couple that with how long she's been around and you get 

Dolly Parton or Cher never had a WTG/BAT Madonna phase in their respective careers. 

This article was a breath of fresh air. 

I also think that Cher and Dolly went through those long wilderness years where nobody was interested and their careers flopped. Then they become national treasures and nostalgia acts.

Madonna's never disappeared and yes, she's very provocative so people want to see her fail.

2 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

I also think that Cher and Dolly went through those long wilderness years where nobody was interested and their careers flopped. Then they become national treasures and nostalgia acts.

Madonna's never disappeared and yes, she's very provocative so people want to see her fail.

+10000 true

My favorite quote from the article:

"The fact she is still annoying people by doing the job she has been doing for 35 years would suggest she’s a long way from being irrelevant."

13 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Guardian journalists (and their readers) are some of the worst for low key sexism, ageism etc

It’s true, the majority of the comments are disappointing. Many falling over themselves to reference her age and diminish her talents but trying to be pseudo intellectual and still remain woke.

16 minutes ago, cardiganstarlet said:

It’s true, the majority of the comments are disappointing. Many falling over themselves to reference her age and diminish her talents but trying to be pseudo intellectual and still remain woke.

But still, the article is THERE, so these cunts have been made to know that not everyone in the world sings the same ugly tune as them when it comes to Madonna. 

15 hours ago, karbatal said:

I think she'll have the last laugh. But only if she keeps releasing quality work. When quality is on the table, she has a trump. 

Couldn't agree more. She will always win if the music is good. If Madame X is as great as the reviews say it is, she will be fine.

9 hours ago, Lolasmommy said:

Great article BUT I’ve got to thinking...why doesn’t Cher or Dolly Parton face the same  animosity as Madonna?

i mean Cher & Dolly are both over 70 & still making music/performing whilst still running around in skimpy outfits & keen on  maintaining the same beauty looks they had in their youth plus continued surgery...

Cher & Dolly don’t get half the shit Madonna does and are generally well loved by all

Cher was mercilessly mocked in the 90’s but it all changed after Believe and she decided to tie the line and became sort of mainstream and accepted by the masses. She’s become non threatening hence the backlash against her has stopped and she’s now just considered a legend, think Madonna Confessions era.

I’m amazed The Guardian have published this? They’re usually publishing scathing article about her. Or just proclaiming that Beyonce is the first female to do anything. 

Anyway, I agree with every single point! 

......does this mean maybe soon we’ll get an interview with M where she’s not asked about age, kids, fame, celebrity and relationships etc??! I wish people would ask her about the actual MUSIC, the creative process, writing, production, visuals, fashion etc.....is it too much to ask?

6 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

But still, the article is THERE, so these cunts have been made to know that not everyone in the world sings the same ugly tune as them when it comes to Madonna. 

100 per cent! X