Madonna for New York Times Mag (Madonna NOT happy)

Sorry I posted about this in another thread , Apols. Anyway I was basically saying these beautiful pictures and interview is making Madonna the no .1 trend on Twitter and it’s all pretty good 

9 hours ago, Dindi said:

A very balanced article from an obvious fan.  It kind of summarized the feelings of many who have her followed her throughout her career.

Yes. 

Nice to see and read something on the positive side (without the backhanded BS).  Informative, reflective, truthful and endearing.  I also need to find/purchase this one!  

Wow. I really enjoyed this — photos (great concepts from JR) and words.

I feel ... very reflective just now, after finishing reading it. I also feel sad. I’m not sure that’s the intended effect, I suppose I should feel inspired. I think the writer did a good job with the chosen style and assignment. And I appreciate the author’s genuine love for Madonna and refusal to be negative and critical. Still, there are moments that make me feel sad. (Like when she speaks of her loneliness in Lisbon — that sacrifice for her children! And how she hoped to make friends... just for an example.)

I love her always and am so excited for the era to really be unleashed when the album is released. 

Great profile, well written, nice photos and also I love that she gets somehow intimate, she’s in a different mood now.

I guess that they are saving the album review because she for sure listened the album but doesn’t mention anything but a few lyrics.

This was long but so delicious to read.

Also, I noticed the author seemed to have a lot of access to “inner circle,” no? Quoting Guy Oseary and Rosie O’Donnell... describing her “staff” (for lack of a better term) by observing them and apparently talking with them, too.

Hearing the album happened here as I suspected it might have gone down for others — like, I think, the British Vogue writer ... who talked about album details but never divulged how it was heard, and who also talked about Madonna walking into the room “about an hour later” (after listening to the album, perhaps? along with enjoying the chef’s treats?)...

Just random thoughts. There really was so much more in this, and lots of thought-provoking stuff. These are just random things that struck me.

Topnotch photos and article. Love that the writer's viewpoint was central to the piece as it made the QoP more relatable and human.

21 hours ago, xtysc said:

so amazing. is this magazine distributed in Europe too? I bet not :((

13 hours ago, tuckeye said:

where can we non-states folk get this!!!

i have british vogue, and the others are in the mail!

The magazine isn’t sold by itself. This magazine comes inside the Sunday June 9 issue of The NY Times newspaper. It’s one of the biggest distributed newspapers globally. Find a big newsstand in your city that sells newspapers from around the world. Airports often have newsstands that sell popular newspapers from around the world. 

Or you can order the June 9 newspaper from The NY Times website for the next 90 days.

https://help.nytimes.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014774927-Backcopies

This article has really moved me a lot. 

I think the writer represents so many females who grew up adoring Madonna.  Everything she said rang so true.  To girls in the 80's,  Madonna was more than just another singer we liked.  I know myself,  I already adored the girls from Abba, Olivia Newton John - still love them and their music a lot.  Madonna though,  was different as a personality.  Her music was ( and as far as I am concerned always will be )  the main attraction, but she had something else as well.  Girls wanted to dress like her,  be like her.  I still say this but there has never been a star in my lifetime that appealed to so many -  girls, boys at my school, adults,  my school teachers.  She represented something to young girls in the 80's that was so powerful and wonderful.  Hard to describe really. 

I know people say that women don't support Madonna,  but I think so many do.  Women who grew up loving Madonna,  still love her. I know through my friends and also through younger girls at my work.  There is so much respect and love for her - much more than people realize.  I had my newsagent put away the British Vogue for me and when I picked them up, 2 women served me.  One was in her early forties and the other was in her early twenties.  Both adored her and the younger girl said that she wished she had seen her when she started out.  She always has been an incredible force for females - as young girls at the time,  to women of today who still love her and to young women who are discovering her impact and loving it. 

Oh SNAP! M is FURIOUS about this article! 😮😮😮 and not hiding it! AT ALL

Mafame ❌ on the cover of N.Y.T. Magazine photographed by my dear friend @jr..........Also sharing my fav photo that never made it in, along with pre-shoot chat and a celebratory glass of wine 🍷 after many hours of work! To say that I was disappointed in the article would be an understatement- It seems. You cant fix society And its endless need to diminish, Disparage or degrade that which they know is good. Especially string independent women. The journalist who wrote this article spent days and hours and months with me and was invited into a world  which many people dont get to see, but chose to focus on trivial and superficial matters like the ethnicity of my stand in or the fabric of my curtains and never ending comments on. my age which would never have been mentioned had I been a MAN! Women have a really hard time being the champions of other women even it they are posing as intellectual feminists. Im just sorry i spent 5 minutes with her. It makes me feel raped. And yes I’m allowed to use that analogy having been raped at the age of 19. Further proof that the N.Y.T. Is one of the founding fathers of the Patriarchy. And I say—-DEATH TO THE PATRIARCHY woven deep into the fabric of Society. And I will never stop fighting to eradicate it. 💔

Omg did you read the new post from M? She is pissed at the article and journalist.

Here’s a screenshot in case she changes or deletes it - which she should not do, keep the post M!

311F09A3-8516-4F6B-9E96-9E409D45B46C.png

Interesting from M! I didn’t think the piece was negative or particularly superficial, but I could see how the writer was given a lot of access but then wrote a piece that didn’t really require that access. 

Loved the pictures, hated the article. The interviewer did spend an awful long time describing how she went in to interview M, describing the setting, the curtains, the china, her feet and appearance and then when it came time to actually talk to M and quote her, she spent most of the article talking ABOUT M and her past, with some really weird and random quotes from her collaborators who most likely had plenty more meaningful and profound things to say besides which quotes were chosen for the article. It was a lazy, superficial and generalising article which could have been indepth and revealing!

Oh, she snapped!!!

I shouldn't laugh but I almost died when M said she seemed more focused on trivial and superficial matters such as the fabric of her curtains etc:lmao:

3 minutes ago, robster said:

Loved the pictures, hated the article. The interviewer did spend an awful long time describing how she went in to interview M, describing the setting, the curtains, the china, her feet and appearance and then when it came time to actually talk to M and quote her, she spent most of the article talking ABOUT M and her past, with some really weird and random quotes from her collaborators who most likely had plenty more meaningful and profound things to say besides which quotes were chosen for the article. It was a lazy, superficial and generalising article which could have been indepth and revealing!

100%

I did think the article started off well but as it went on, I could see the kind of picture the journalist was painting of Madonna and I did not like it. Madonna's response is 100% Madonna and authentic.