Madonna for New York Times Mag (Madonna NOT happy)

I actually liked the article, so I’m surprised that she chose to lash out against this particular journalist.  I suppose, like others have said, she had higher expectations given the amount of time spent with her, and also felt betrayal.  

I thought it was an overall positive article with the same gripes about things (ie. those perplexing MDNA skin ads) as other fans have had.  Also, it’s hard to talk about the fight against ageism without mentioning age; I didn’t think it was done in misogynistic way but was done to highlight a problem. 

I didn't think the article was bad my first read, but I got the impression the writer spent 5 minutes with Madonna and had to fill the piece with stuff about herself, or pieces from past Madonna articles, which I thought was odd. So to hear Madonna may have spent considerable time with the writer, I can understand why she's pissed.

I find the reaction a bit hard. I can def understand that she wanted more out of the article if it was so that Madonna gave her a lot of access to her life, and is disappointed about that. But the article is in no way part of a patriarichal conspiracy as M somehow hints at. It's mostly praise, and a bit of this "woke" thing. I think it somehow shows that Madonna used to be able to control media much more than she does today. Media treats her differently today.

I hope not, but I just feel that this might blow back on her. 

This era has really started messy, I hope she comes back into the saddle.

I think some fans sometimes forget that Madonna is a real person. How would that rape comment make you feel? Set aside the subject of rape, just consider the condescending tone of the "should I tell her" remark. Tell it to her face or shut up. She even offended her religious beliefs. I love what Madonna wrote about her: she is posing as an intellectual feminist. If you don't respect the religious beliefs of others  you are not woke, you are a poser.

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Well,  considering the writer praised her a lot,   I fail to see why we should all have to be angry because she dared to bring up what every single other writer brings up in every other article going - and actually defended Madonna for it.  Differences of opinion are vital though and I respect your views.  I did not find the article offensive and I adore Madonna above all other celebrities by a country mile.  Was far more offended at Quavo diminishing her artistry and saying his Mother liked her and not even naming a solo song of hers as his favourite before performing with her on a huge event. 

We can't all complain non stop that others talk of Madonna's age all the time and then get stuck into a writer for tackling that topic head on - and also praising Madonna for rising above it.   Society IS like that.  Women's ages are always bought up -  all the time.  It is something women do talk about because it is such an issue in life for women - all women.  

True that. I gotta say, I didn’t read the whole article, just the beginning of it, and I was thrown off by it. 

1 hour ago, acko said:

As @karbatal pointed out.. There was a lot of second hand information. But I always find American journalists to be overbearing or too present.. I don't agree with this cultivated cachet that somehow they are 'writers'.. You're a journalist and a reporter... So don't get carried away.. And focus on the Q&A. I couldn't give a fucks ass if the bird wanted 2 bond over motherhood.. I come away with nothing as a reader.

Either way M had basically the same problem with the Vanity Fair 'story' for Hard Candy. Now bring on that 12 page NME interview or just call me @Guyoseary.

Agreed!!

I think she lost the audio tapes of the interview and that’s why she looked up old interviews and old quotes and filled the article with that.. of course she wont admit that.

Certainly didn't expect this sort of reaction from this article as we've all read FAR worse. Have to say though, would never have guessed from the article itself that they spent a substantial amount of time together so if that's the case, I can understand her frustration. At the time, Madonna must've felt some sort of genuine connection with the journalist or it would've been cut off immediately, so I guess we don't really know all that M revealed to this person. I did notice the more "backhanded" things the journalist said but it was done so subtly for the most part that I just took it as objectivity. Sorry to hear M is feeling dissatisfied and perhaps betrayed as well. 😞 

36 minutes ago, Nikki said:

I think she lost the audio tapes of the interview and that’s why she looked up old interviews and old quotes and filled the article with that.. of course she wont admit that.

That’s my impression too. 

2 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Certainly didn't expect this sort of reaction from this article as we've all read FAR worse. Have to say though, would never have guessed from the article itself that they spent a substantial amount of time together so if that's the case, I can understand her frustration. At the time, Madonna must've felt some sort of genuine connection with the journalist or it would've been cut off immediately, so I guess we don't really know all that M revealed to this person. I did notice the more "backhanded" things the journalist said but it was done so subtly for the most part that I just took it as objectivity. Sorry to hear M is feeling dissatisfied and perhaps betrayed as well. 😞 

who knows what M shared with this woman.. she was in her house, in her inner circle.. maybe also meeting her friends and musicians and in her house.. and then all we got was old quotes and condescending talk about her age and how much better she is for thinking a woman shouldn't use the word "rape" as a metaphor (even if she was raped..) just look at the picture madonna shared of madonna with jr having a drink.. it seemed so cosy and charming.. we saw none of that

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
2 hours ago, Supernatural said:

I didn't think the article was bad my first read, but I got the impression the writer spent 5 minutes with Madonna and had to fill the piece with stuff about herself, or pieces from past Madonna articles, which I thought was odd. So to hear Madonna may have spent considerable time with the writer, I can understand why she's pissed.

I think that's part of the reason she is pissed.  According to Madonna, the author spent several hours with her and then pretty much printed very little conversation with Madonna, while talking about herself, how she felt interviewing Madonna or concentrating on superficial nonsense such as Madonna dealing with aging.   

I felt from the start of the article, reading through it, there was a lot missing.  I just wish the author shared more of the actual conversations she had with Madonna. 

3 hours ago, Voguerista said:

Wow I'm shocked M is so angry but I can see why now as she didn't like how it focused on tangible objects, etc and instead of more of what M exactly said during the interview. 

I agree with this, especially after reading her instagram post. I understand how she feels; a lot of things were left out which she felt were more important to the article. 

Madonna is short, and the art was hung low, for her own appreciation.

Sure, she did not like that, I would not either.

3 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Well,  considering the writer praised her a lot,   I fail to see why we should all have to be angry because she dared to bring up what every single other writer brings up in every other article going - and actually defended Madonna for it.  Differences of opinion are vital though and I respect your views.  I did not find the article offensive and I adore Madonna above all other celebrities by a country mile.  Was far more offended at Quavo diminishing her artistry and saying his Mother liked her and not even naming a solo song of hers as his favourite before performing with her on a huge event. 

Couldn't agree more. Quavo was totally offensive and he was absurd on stage. Like he rehearsed 0 time. What an insult to M and 200 million people.

I wish Madge had not lashed out on social media about this article - especially comparing it to rape (even if she has been raped herself). Its an excessive response from Madge, and off putting. I will always have love and respect for Madge - but fear that the general public will see her as a crazy loon. 

I guess we are all human and make mistakes sometimes - as a celebrity, the mistakes are just out for all to see. Sigh. 

I actually quite enjoyed the interview, it was pretty well written.

I love M, but I can imagine that she doesn’t like being told about herself. I mean after 40 years of being at the top of fame, you’ve got to be a little bit crazy right?! 

she has been so calm and polite all those years.

Let her have a moment, If she wants to go mad and tell everyone to go F...themself. be it.

If she has enough, I get it

2 minutes ago, jpop said:

she has been so calm and polite all those years.

Let her have a moment, If she wants to go mad and tell everyone to go F...themself. be it.

If she has enough, I get it

I get that of course, but it seems strange as the author comes off as admiring her actually. Maybe something happened behind closed doors? I dont think she painted Madonna badly in the slightest.

4 minutes ago, elijah said:

I get that of course, but it seems strange as the author comes off as admiring her actually. Maybe something happened behind closed doors? I dont think she painted Madonna badly in the slightest.

i agree ,i don't get it either

I think it's more pernicious. the writer is not so nice.

it's in all the subtext,

she is old, she deos not connect with the young audience,  but she lost me when she spoke over and over about paradoxes.

the question about her body...on and on

Edited by jpop

having said what I said though.. I think maybe M should've been less harsh on the interviewer.. (still think she simply lost some of the interview tapes..)

35 minutes ago, air1975 said:

I wish Madge had not lashed out on social media about this article - especially comparing it to rape (even if she has been raped herself). Its an excessive response from Madge, and off putting. I will always have love and respect for Madge - but fear that the general public will see her as a crazy loon. 

I guess we are all human and make mistakes sometimes - as a celebrity, the mistakes are just out for all to see. Sigh. 

Madonna is referring to rape because of the rape part of the interview. Before you come all SJW, at least read the article.

1 minute ago, Ven Conmigo said:

I enjoyed it and she is obviously a fan but it is definitely weirdly written and put together and not really an interview. 

And clearly has nothing to do with what was agreed with Madonna. I think that's the clue to understand her disappointment. 

Yikes - maybe there was more behind the scenes? Very intense reaction.