Madonna for New York Times Mag (Madonna NOT happy)

1 minute ago, Andra said:

Well holy shit, out of all the shit articles written on her, THIS is the one she chooses to be pissed about. And the media is gonna have a field day with the rape comment, et again!!

This is the one where the journo was invited to her life. This is not an article written by Piers Morgan 5.000 miles away. She was waiting for this article and had high hopes. She even did a special photoshoot only for them! 

2 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Nope. If you open the doors to your house is for one reason. One kind of article. If you end up having an article where 80% of the content is about previous qutoes and previous facts and ZERO about that time spent there, I guess Madonna asks herself why on Earth did that person spent the time there. 

And I don't agree with you AT ALL about the age, because nobody is going to comment on that in Bruce Springsteen interviews. 

Karbatal,  just my view but I thought the writer was clearly supporting her.  She was saying that men's ages are not used against them.  We can't pretend that every single article written about Madonna does not mention her age.  We talk about that on this forum all the time - how unfair it is.    I think this writer was supporting Madonna being the women in pop music to not have to age gracefully etc and not glossing over it with glib comments but examining it and praising Madonna for it. 

Interesting discussion though.  As everything Madonna,  we all see things differently. 

Madonna knows exactly what she is doing. And in owning the word RAPE and using it as she sees fit is one of the uncomfortable controversies she has always gravitated towards. When she said she would be a bad feminist, this is exactly what she meant. 

Wow, she snapped. I certainly wasn’t expecting her to go after the article, but I can see why she’s disappointed.

I hope this doesn’t get ugly.

Wow I'm shocked M is so angry but I can see why now as she didn't like how it focused on tangible objects, etc and instead of more of what M exactly said during the interview. 

13 minutes ago, ursula said:

nope, she should express herself. i just don't get why she picks THAT one over all the crap that has been written about her!

My guess is that she's been trying to ignore the negativity and hate by recent articles etc and not be hurt by it and she finally just snapped especially after putting so much into the interview. A person can sometimes only take so much. 

I don’t understand what was the point in starting the article on how Madonna was staring at a double Madonna who was younger? Then again, mentioning that she’s 60! Jesus!! And then go on talking about the fake Madonnas running up on the stage. WTH? It’s too confusing, especially for those readers who haven’t watched the Billboard award performance. It gave an impression that Madonna can’t dance herself and needs a double or something. And really, who cares??? Just give us what Madonna wanted to convey in this interview! The writer made it seem like Madonna was some old, cold figure whom everyone around was afraid of. No wonder M hated this article! 

Oh my i was not expecting that! I personally found the article a bore, but lots here seemed to enjoy it, so who knows.

I actually agree with the writer calling her out on using Rape - I wish she wouldn’t use it.

17 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

Madonna knows exactly what she is doing. And in owning the word RAPE and using it as she sees fit is one of the uncomfortable controversies she has always gravitated towards. When she said she would be a bad feminist, this is exactly what she meant. 

Sorry but can't see the logic in this at all.  Rape is rape - Madonna can use it how she wants but saying you can "own"  a word is bizarre. 

I mean M is so right! Sorry if I’m repeating myself but, was it necessary to focus on the “younger” double? And her ethnicity? And talking about M’s age again? 

7 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Sorry but can't see the logic in this at all.  Rape is rape - Madonna can use it how she wants but saying you can "own"  a word is bizarre. 

She meant that she owns the right to say that not in a sense that it belongs to her, but that she’s been through it and can therefore use it as an analogy.

29 minutes ago, Andra said:

Well holy fuck, out of all the shit articles written on her, THIS is the one she chooses to be pissed about. And the media is gonna have a field day with the rape comment, yet again!!

Then can't have a field day she mentioned her own rape. If they comment they need to tread VERY carefully. 

I think she probably gave them everything. And they focussed on the trivial. She probably is getting thin skinned. It will take it's toll eventually. 40 years of these articles will make anyone feel SOMETHING.

The way some of you are defending the writer failing to see where she went wrong only proves that there is yet much work to be done. I guess you can’t fix society. 

1 hour ago, robster said:

Oh SNAP! M is FURIOUS about this article! 😮😮😮 and not hiding it! AT ALL

Mafame ❌ on the cover of N.Y.T. Magazine photographed by my dear friend @jr..........Also sharing my fav photo that never made it in, along with pre-shoot chat and a celebratory glass of wine 🍷 after many hours of work! To say that I was disappointed in the article would be an understatement- It seems. You cant fix society And its endless need to diminish, Disparage or degrade that which they know is good. Especially string independent women. The journalist who wrote this article spent days and hours and months with me and was invited into a world  which many people dont get to see, but chose to focus on trivial and superficial matters like the ethnicity of my stand in or the fabric of my curtains and never ending comments on. my age which would never have been mentioned had I been a MAN! Women have a really hard time being the champions of other women even it they are posing as intellectual feminists. Im just sorry i spent 5 minutes with her. It makes me feel raped. And yes I’m allowed to use that analogy having been raped at the age of 19. Further proof that the N.Y.T. Is one of the founding fathers of the Patriarchy. And I say—-DEATH TO THE PATRIARCHY woven deep into the fabric of Society. And I will never stop fighting to eradicate it. 💔

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByXoF3NBl8j/?utm_source=ig_embed

While I enjoyed the article, I constantly felt like it was SO superficial and also did diminish her. The writer felt more intelligent than Madonna, it was obvious. Bravo to her for calling the writer and publication out. 

Knowing this writer had such access...

7 minutes ago, stevo208 said:

She's taking no prisoners and giving zero fucks. Let them come, Queen, and burn the fucking lot of them to ash.

Yes and she knows that women are often the WORST to her for her entire career. It's hypocrisy. 

I totally get why she is so upset with the article. The rape comment in particular was very offensive and also very condescending and unprofessional. The writer is a fan but she also feels the need to defend her fandom, like Madonna is not fully worth it and you need to explain and justify to others why you love her. I will never say that I am fan of Madonna but this and this and that. I am a fan full stop.

20 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

The way some of you are defending the writer failing to see where she went wrong only proves that there is yet much work to be done. I guess you can’t fix society. 

Well,  considering the writer praised her a lot,   I fail to see why we should all have to be angry because she dared to bring up what every single other writer brings up in every other article going - and actually defended Madonna for it.  Differences of opinion are vital though and I respect your views.  I did not find the article offensive and I adore Madonna above all other celebrities by a country mile.  Was far more offended at Quavo diminishing her artistry and saying his Mother liked her and not even naming a solo song of hers as his favourite before performing with her on a huge event. 

We can't all complain non stop that others talk of Madonna's age all the time and then get stuck into a writer for tackling that topic head on - and also praising Madonna for rising above it.   Society IS like that.  Women's ages are always bought up -  all the time.  It is something women do talk about because it is such an issue in life for women - all women.  

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

This is the one where the journo was invited to her life. This is not an article written by Piers Morgan 5.000 miles away. She was waiting for this article and had high hopes. She even did a special photoshoot only for them! 

Exactly, for those confused why she has focused on this article - this journalist was invited into her home. M doesn’t clap back at the daily mail ie tabloids.

I personally only had minor gripes with the article but felt it was overall really positive.

im sad for M that she’s taken it personally. I’m also sad for how she’s reacted, as a social media rant with grammar all over the place becomes an internet joke. This plus Eurovision only feeds into more negative narrative.

As @karbatal pointed out.. There was a lot of second hand information. But I always find American journalists to be overbearing or too present.. I don't agree with this cultivated cachet that somehow they are 'writers'.. You're a journalist and a reporter... So don't get carried away.. And focus on the Q&A. I couldn't give a fucks ass if the bird wanted 2 bond over motherhood.. I come away with nothing as a reader.

Either way M had basically the same problem with the Vanity Fair 'story' for Hard Candy. Now bring on that 12 page NME interview or just call me @Guyoseary.

5 minutes ago, cardiganstarlet said:

Exactly, for those confused why she has focused on this article - this journalist was invited into her home. M doesn’t clap back at the daily mail ie tabloids.

I personally only had minor gripes with the article but felt it was overall really positive.

im sad for M that she’s taken it personally. I’m also sad for how she’s reacted, as a social media rant with grammar all over the place becomes an internet joke. This plus Eurovision only feeds into more negative narrative.

You need to relax. She is right.