Madonna for New York Times Mag (Madonna NOT happy)

Well, I really enjoyed the article and did not think it was superficial or nasty.  With all of the absolute crap and vicious stuff written about Madonna,  for her to single this article out is surprising to say the least. 

I think she singled this one out because she seemed to have opened a part of her life to the interviewer and Madonna was probably upset that the result wasnt deeper and truer to who she is. She probably got intimate in what she shared and it wasn't treated as carefully as she hoped from a feminist woman during the Time's Up movement.

Hmmm.... interesting take, especially from M's view... I wonder what fabric or material she used for those curtains too.... hehe... 😆 but she's obviously not a fan of the NYT.... which i believed that they wrote horrible articles about her in the past??

I thought the interview was written by someone who adored Madonna. The writer will be devastated. There wasn't enough of Madonna in it and. too much. back story but thought she was a proper fan. I think people are always going to mention age - they would with Elton John. or MIck Jagger and whether we like it out not, most piopstars are young. Not sure why she's so angry. Could have been far more on the album. I worry that Madonna seems be extremely unhappy that she us treated like a President rather than a popstar

9 minutes ago, RoyalMadonna said:

I think she singled this one out because she seemed to have opened a part of her life to the interviewer and Madonna was probably upset that the result wasnt deeper and truer to who she is. She probably got intimate in what she shared and it wasn't treated as carefully as she hoped from a feminist woman during the Time's Up movement.

This 

Don't you think QUEEN MADONNA isn't thrilled by how the "rape" comment was portrayed in the article? basically making it seem like MADONNA is not entitled to speak like that....not knowing it's significance....and chastising her for it in the article? or how she mentioned how short she is and needs her pictures lowered......there are so many things about this article that made me stop reading half way through.

The article starts off well but it becomes more about a 'quest' for the journalist to relate with Madonna rather than Madonna's own story and journey. All of the journalist's own projections / fears / ideas are thrust onto Madonna and why should she accept them as the subject of the interview? It's typical lazy journalism if you ask me. 

I can see why Madonna is disappointed particularly as it looks like she opened herself & home up to the journalist who turned in a piece that was just as lazy as any of the tabloid pieces written about her and Madonna could have spent that time doing something useful - that is probably why she is so hurt. Another wasteful opportunity.   

Just now, MLVC82 said:

Don't you think QUEEN MADONNA isn't thrilled by how the "rape" comment was portrayed in the article? basically making it seem like MADONNA is not entitled to speak like that....not knowing it's significance....and chastising her for it in the article? or how she mentioned how short she is and needs her pictures lowered......there are so many things about this article that made me stop reading half way through.

I'm just fed up of this woke thing and Madonna having to explain why she feels raped or not WHEN SHE IS A RAPE VICTIM HERSELF. It's freedom of expression FFS. I can understand her frustration 100%.

She's really taken a lot of it to heart and I suppose it's different if something is written ABOUT you, everything is much more raw and personal. But as a fan I loved that article and think it's one of the best written about her in years. I feel bad for the writer but also feel sad that it has upset Madonna so much.

45 minutes ago, robster said:

Oh SNAP! M is FURIOUS about this article! 😮😮😮 and not hiding it! AT ALL

Mafame ❌ on the cover of N.Y.T. Magazine photographed by my dear friend @jr..........Also sharing my fav photo that never made it in, along with pre-shoot chat and a celebratory glass of wine 🍷 after many hours of work! To say that I was disappointed in the article would be an understatement- It seems. You cant fix society And its endless need to diminish, Disparage or degrade that which they know is good. Especially string independent women. The journalist who wrote this article spent days and hours and months with me and was invited into a world  which many people dont get to see, but chose to focus on trivial and superficial matters like the ethnicity of my stand in or the fabric of my curtains and never ending comments on. my age which would never have been mentioned had I been a MAN! Women have a really hard time being the champions of other women even it they are posing as intellectual feminists. Im just sorry i spent 5 minutes with her. It makes me feel raped. And yes I’m allowed to use that analogy having been raped at the age of 19. Further proof that the N.Y.T. Is one of the founding fathers of the Patriarchy. And I say—-DEATH TO THE PATRIARCHY woven deep into the fabric of Society. And I will never stop fighting to eradicate it. 💔

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByXoF3NBl8j/?utm_source=ig_embed

Well, as I said in previously, it was a very strange piece. It was very positive and all that, but had very, very little real information about the real interview. I really do think the person lost the tape of the interview :lmao:

1 minute ago, domyeyebrows said:

She's really taken a lot of it to heart and I suppose it's different if something is written ABOUT you, everything is much more raw and personal. But as a fan I loved that article and think it's one of the best written about her in years. I feel bad for the writer but also feel sad that it has upset Madonna so much.

I feel the same. I do think the article was one of the better ones on Madonna recently (maybe that's saying something...) but M knows about what happened behind the scenes (what wasn't included) way more than we ever will. 

I'm not surprised the rape comment hurt M. I actually thought about that while reading the article. She was raped in her first year in NYC, if she wants to use that word she can use it. 

1 minute ago, Cesky said:

I feel the same. I do think the article was one of the better ones on Madonna recently (maybe that's saying something...) but M knows about what happened behind the scenes (what wasn't included) way more than we ever will. 

I'm not surprised the rape comment hurt M. I actually thought about that while reading the article. She was raped in her first year in NYC, if she wants to use that word she can use it. 

I agree on the rape thing for sure. It did stick in my throat a bit.

Edited by domyeyebrows

2 minutes ago, ursula said:

I don't get it! I thought that article was nice and sympathetic! And isn't a reporter at liberty to write whatever she/he wants to write? Sometimes I feel like mambo has gotten thin-skinned with time! Of course her age is going to be mentionned! She's a 60 yo pop singer, for crying out loud!

Nope. If you open the doors to your house is for one reason. One kind of article. If you end up having an article where 80% of the content is about previous qutoes and previous facts and ZERO about that time spent there, I guess Madonna asks herself why on Earth did that person spent the time there. 

And I don't agree with you AT ALL about the age, because nobody is going to comment on that in Bruce Springsteen interviews. 

Shows how different all of our views are.  I thought it actually got into the nitty gritty of how people are obsessed with Madonna's age and this article was admiring Madonna.  Let's face it,  every single article lately has mentioned her age.  It is unfair but we all comment on it ourselves on this very forum .   I thought the writer was putting it all into complete perspective and actually praising Madonna  - for being the star that changed perspectives for women throughout her career and is doing it still now.  

10 minutes ago, Monsieur X said:

The article starts off well but it becomes more about a 'quest' for the journalist to relate with Madonna rather than Madonna's own story and journey. All of the journalist's own projections / fears / ideas are thrust onto Madonna and why should she accept them as the subject of the interview? It's typical lazy journalism if you ask me. 

I can see why Madonna is disappointed particularly as it looks like she opened herself & home up to the journalist who turned in a piece that was just as lazy as any of the tabloid pieces written about her and Madonna could have spent that time doing something useful - that is probably why she is so hurt. Another wasteful opportunity.   

Agree 100%

Just now, ursula said:

Not a pop singer. A 60 yo pop singer is remarkable, a 60 yo folk/rock singer is not.

And that's because you say so or is there some rule in the Golden Books of Age According to Artists????

When I was a kid, it was normal to call me faggot. Nowadays, it is not that normal. It shouldn't be normal to be commening on the age of a pop singer simply because she is a woman and yet nobody commented on the age when it came to Prince, for example. Another pop singer. 

13 minutes ago, MLVC82 said:

Exactly. The journalist was rather condescending, almost implying Madonna was so removed from reality that she wasn’t aware that modern women post-ME2 have a new set of standards that she needs to adhere to. I’m sure that irritated the fuck out of her, and rightly so. 

Also, Madonna is not a pop star. She is a cultural juggernaut who has defined the zeitgeist in some shape or form for over 35 years, and continues to do so. That is so extraordinary that it should make anyone profiling her give some form of historical context beyond contemporary pop and age.

Edited by Herfaceremains

Well holy fuck, out of all the shit articles written on her, THIS is the one she chooses to be pissed about. And the media is gonna have a field day with the rape comment, yet again!!

Just now, ursula said:

Because it's almost unheard of. So all the first timers always have to deal with more shit. Law of humanity.

And Madonna should shut up and smile... Fine. 

Just now, Andra said:

Well holy shit, out of all the shit articles written on her, THIS is the one she chooses to be pissed about. And the media is gonna have a field day with the rape comment, et again!!

Yeah i mean she should quit it with the rape comments... i just want a madonna era without a pr disaster...