Madonna @ Graham Norton show (June 14th)

I loved the story she told about being on tour the first time and realising she “had made it”. 

Really enjoyable interview. I’m really curious to know what she said to Ian Mckellan when they were showing the Hugh Jackman video. When they cut back to the couch she’d just finished. 

There was no "rudeness"  between Madonna and Ian.  They both have dry senses of humour and were basically mucking around with each other.  All good fun and no disrespect between both of them. 

She did interact with the other guests - complimented Danny on Trainspotting and talked directly to him several times.   " Tamwar from Eastenders "  @Crux @Kim @nightcutter  - can you believe he is the UK soap star to have a lead in the movies  !  :lol:  - was so nervous throughout the entire interview and I kind of felt sorry for him.  He and Lily James did not say much.   Madonna was perfectly friendly and fine with Sheryl too. 

I do agree that the outfit was too tight - only saying this as she found it difficult to sit in and don't all of us know what it it like to sit around in uncomfortable clothing. 

Otherwise,  if people think that is being bitchy and rude - all I can say is you have not obviously been around real bitches and horrors in true life.  Madonna was not bitchy, rude, disrespectful.  Only possible thing considered a bit shady was calling Jellybean her shitty ex boyfriend. :lol:

4 hours ago, luluthecat said:

It’s so strange seeing all these reactions compared to actually being there as I was. She was an absolute hoot!!!!!!!! And everyone loved it (so I thought) including Ian McKellen, she doing loads of and banter and being incredibly funny (and friendly!!!) even when the cameras weren’t looking.

.....its so strange how people find Graham Norton’s sarcastic humour so funny and then when Madonna plays off it she’s called “rude” and “bitchy”........it really f**ks me off! He’s laughing along too, I don’t get how anyone can see otherwise 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, it was just Madonna being Madonna and the people saying Madonna was rude and awkward don’t like her anyway. She was funny and showed her wit, always holding on to her independence and alpha female mindset. Nothing to be embarrassed about as a Madonna fan here at all.

2 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

There was no "rudeness"  between Madonna and Ian.  They both have dry senses of humour and were basically mucking around with each other.  All good fun and no disrespect between both of them. 

She did interact with the other guests - complimented Danny on Trainspotting and talked directly to him several times.   " Tamwar from Eastenders "  @Crux @Kim @nightcutter  - can you believe he is the UK soap star to have a lead in the movies  !  :lol:  - was so nervous throughout the entire interview and I kind of felt sorry for him.  He and Lily James did not say much.   She was perfectly friendly and fine with Sheryl too. 

I do agree that the outfit was too tight - only saying this as she found it difficult to sit in and don't all of us know what it it like to sit around in uncomfortable clothing. 

Otherwise,  if people think that is being bitchy and rude - all I can say is you have not obviously been around real bitches and horrors in true life.  Madonna was not bitchy, rude, disrespectful.  

Thank you.

I'm so sick of all those people so used to projecting a false and perfect life on social media that they are offend about anyone who does not perpetually wear a mask of sanitized perfection.  They are offend about everything: humor, sarcasm, metaphor, honesty... I've repeated it many times: Madonna's personality is totally unadapted to the ridiculous and puritanist era we live. If anyone is offended by Madonna's attitude during this interview, it is definitely his problem and not her.

6 hours ago, Buzy_Robot said:

For goodness sake!

She isn't being rude, she's tired!

I can't even keep up with the press she's been doing this week - can people just stop and imagine what it's like for her?!

Watching the clip now and she's polite, attentive and friendly.

What she's not doing is gushing over the other guests.

She's lacking pretense and she's being authentic.

Sure, the tightness of that damn corset certainly makes matters worse. 

Uncomfortable and tired. That's it. Nothing more or less.

The naysayers really need to get a life and deal with real world problems.

Thank you!!

5 hours ago, luluthecat said:

It’s so strange seeing all these reactions compared to actually being there as I was. She was an absolute hoot!!!!!!!! And everyone loved it (so I thought) including Ian McKellen, she doing loads of and banter and being incredibly funny (and friendly!!!) even when the cameras weren’t looking.

.....its so strange how people find Graham Norton’s sarcastic humour so funny and then when Madonna plays off it she’s called “rude” and “bitchy”........it really f**ks me off! He’s laughing along too, I don’t get how anyone can see otherwise 🤷‍♂️

Lovely! Thanks for sharing your account of you being there in the flesh

5 hours ago, luluthecat said:

It's all in the edit. That's the problem. Without seeing the whole thing, it's difficult to properly judge. 

At the end of the day though, it's still the same old haters hating. She's still getting headlines for stupid things as she's still relevant.

34 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

Thank you.

I'm so sick of all those people so used to projecting a false and perfect life on social media that they are offend about anyone who does not perpetually wear a mask of sanitized perfection.  They are offend about everything: humor, sarcasm, metaphor, honesty... I've repeated it many times: Madonna's personality is totally unadapted to the ridiculous and puritanist era we live. If anyone is offended by Madonna's attitude during this interview, it is definitely his problem and not her.

Spot on Martin and @Jazzy Jan

33 minutes ago, nightcutter said:

Has Boy George stopped hating Madonna now?

I think he’s been supportive of her recently. 

Why are people bitching about that interview, she was being Madonna and she wasn't rude and she owned the room like the queen she is. The ones complaining, I have to ask, have you ever seen a Madonna interview before, this is how she is and her sense of humor. I do think she has some anxiety issues though but that is not a weakness but rather makes her more vulnerable. I picked up on some anxiety issues, also in other recent events, her posture, the way she responds, slight hyperventilating, and no it is not just the tight clothing.  She may even have mild form of depression but she was not rude. It is unfair to give a clinical diagnosis over a few interviews. That woman is a warrior. I highly enjoyed the interview.

21 minutes ago, Mr Ciccone said:

I think the whole Sheryl Crow supposed diss was blown out of proportion!

https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/sheryl-crow-comments-on-madonna-woman-of-the-year-speech-explained-video

They seemed absolutely fine with each other to me...

that's all fine and all.. bu then why is she full on praising prince for unapologetically using his sexuality in his music? I see where she's coming from, but shouldn't women do whatever they please (just like men)?

I enjoyed every second of it, this was pure, essential, 100% larger than life Madonna and she was not there to be liked by her haters anyway. And image-wise this is the closest we get to Erotica era, I could not be happier about that.

13 minutes ago, insilico said:

I enjoyed every second of it, this was pure, essential, 100% larger than life Madonna and she was not there to be liked by her haters anyway. And image-wise this is the closest we get to Erotica era, I could not be happier about that.

You said it. I so agree. 

2 hours ago, smirnoff_ice said:

I think he’s been supportive of her recently. 

I do feel it's because Twitter has become so toxic the he's defending a fellow artist. They are both very polarising so I'm sure there's a lot of respect for her from him.

He's very similar to M I think. Intelligent and tough.

1 hour ago, Dr Lecter said:

Was that Tamwar? I didn’t know !!

Yes ! 

3 hours ago, nightcutter said:

Has Boy George stopped hating Madonna now?

He has been supporting her a lot. He went on Fashion police years back and totally called out the ageist comments about her.  Shut them up totally. Has been supporting her on Twitter etc a lot too. 

I’m quite sure Madonna doesn’t waste any time at all in the real housewives headspace of “who said what about me”. The only people “spilling that tea” around her are her hair and makeup team. They’re like her white modern permanent José and Luis. 😝 She probably just laughs. Like she’s gonna care about Sheryl Crow!

At the risk of incurring the wrath of those who see no fault in Madonna whatsoever, while it’s always enjoyable to watch her in any capacity, this was not imho a particularly enjoyable or flattering public appearance. She is Madonna, and so, as she immediately stated herself, she is not used to sharing the spotlight, particularly when it comes to other celebrities. She talks over people and brings the conversation back to herself, which to many in the GP is experienced as egocentric and off-putting. Also, as she knows Norton to be a sarcastic queen, she goes into acerbic mode...I think a lot of us as fans enjoy this feisty instinctual aspect of her as it usually means she is less measured and is in many ways more revealing of her natural demeanor. However, to the GP this might come across as defensive and bitchy. They expect people to follow a certain decorum, and to show reverence and false humility, particularly the Brits who are obsessed with all things patriarchal and, more broadly, hierarchical, whether consciously or not. “She spoke over a knighted master of the theatre!”...the irony being, of course, that they also would have vomited all over him twenty or thirty years ago when they still imagined him taking it up the butt. B.G. (Before Gandalf).

Ah Society! Full of hypocrisy...or paradox and irony, to remain more Madonna-esque!

I think your analysis is fair and objective, @Herfaceremains ... always enjoy reading your posts. I do think there might be a few moments the uninitiated might find off-putting, simply because they fail to understand her humor. I think there were moments that balanced it out, too, though — when asked if she was nervous, she pretty quickly turned to Danny Boyle and involved him in the conversation, asking if it were not the same for him when he has a film being released. That shows some humility and awareness that others are in the room, too, and was less egocentric than she might be accused of. Even with Glastonbury and Pride — some might think it was M making it about herself — but, although it was sweet of Sheryl to invite her, it is a little preposterously presumptuous to think M isn’t busy with things on the heels of an album release and the lead-up to a tour. (Still, I’m glad Sheryl made the offer!)

By the way, little moment, I loved when Lily interjected, “Because I stole it!” when they were having a laugh about Graham’s “missing copy” of the vinyl (which Madonna revealed as a fake)... haha! I thought it was sweet that Lily was basically indicating she was a fan and wanted to get her hands on a copy of the new album! 

19 hours ago, luluthecat said:

Oh, thanks for sharing this! Glad to know it was received well in person... suspected as much, but one does start to question whether all objectivity has been lost when all this negativity swirls about.

I just remembered, too, how pleasant she was interacting with that audience member off the cuff when she was explaining the theatre tour concept. (And how funny is it that Sir Ian’s similar upcoming performances were lauded, and yet everyone is scratching their heads about M! Double standards! No wonder she was questioning it and then jokingly claiming she did Shakespeare, too. Ha!)

8 hours ago, dumitru said:

Someone should turn {{  She is dead now }}  into a meme asap. 

Absolutely! The funniest moment to me! That and the baby announcement quip from M about Sir Ian.

4 hours ago, justinian said:

Bed time stories from bad madame

x😘

768E8511-BBFE-4580-AA6B-7F51BB2FFD59.jpeg

Gorgeous! Wish we’d seen this moment — she might have been more comfortable that way.

Oh and yes, thanks to those who posted the clip of M introducing the show. So interesting in the still shot how the audience does seem just in utter awe of her!

13 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

I think she looks great and I'm enjoying all the appearances and interviews.

Ian was kind of a dick to her first because she didn't remember him from some event from 30 yrs ago

I was worried about this when I heard about it, but upon watching it just seemed like “banter” to me.