Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Nonoka said:

There's another long German review out by the ZEIT, which is one of the biggest-selling newspapers here. For the people not familiar, it's comparable to the Guardian, leaning a bit on the left side with quite okay and serious journalism (though IMO like most newspapers, declining in quality since the last years, esp in the culture section). Not sure if I should it post it here since it is (surprise surprise) largely negative and they barely talk about the actual songs anyway. It's mostly focused on the clunky lyrics in Killers and her ESC performance again.

It's interesting though like some of the other negative reviews, they just can't help admitting there's something good in there. Calling the album trashy in the headline, but saying that it's at least trash made in the right way. (But then how is it trash??) ...

Oh and they confused songs, talking about M duetting with Maluma on 'I Don't Search I Find'  :chuckle: Speaks boundaries on how much they cared about actually reviewing the album.

The hate she gets from the critics here in Germany is crazy! They tear her and the album in peaces. Quite shocking for me. The critics are out of Control. Like they waited for this moment for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Jim34 said:

The hate she gets from the critics here in Germany is crazy! They tear her and the album in peaces. Quite shocking for me. The critics are out of Control. Like they waited for this moment for years.

Yes, it’s disturbing. But then again, it’s just the opinion of two people.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Especially the Der Spiegel review at the end, where he writes that Madonna couldn’t do an evening on the piano or a concert in a church and her fans would prefer a singer / songwriter album LOL 😆 sorry what bullshit is this..

Actually we shouldn’t read that and listen without prejudice. I love all released tracks so far. Much more than anything on the last two records.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every German paper seems to publish the same review by the same person -  🤣 why do they bother? Just translated the Stern one which seems identical to the previous!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do German media dislike her so much? Hilariously I have a few friends there who are massive fans. Like homegurl changes his Instagram handle to reflect his Madonna mood, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the people who tweeted after the listening party still haven't given their verdicts, despite their initial twitter excitement.

Lucy O Brien (MOJO)

Dan Wooton

A few others including one who I think writes for Attitude

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Why paying so much attention to Germany? They've always been a Janet Jackson land. Fact.

Well outside of the US and UK it's the biggest music market for her. She shifted almost 100k tickets for the last tour over the course of 5 concerts, so there's still clearly a lot of public interest as well.

This whole press situation really is a bit perplexing. She rarely had it easy with critics but this time it almost looks like a competition between newspapers on who writes the most damning article (already started with the Eurovision performance). And we're not talking some obscure local papers or tabloids, but reputable big papers with (theoretically) serious journalists. Oh well.

I'm very happy though to see the US and UK giving mostly serious reviews! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Why paying so much attention to Germany? They've always been a Janet Jackson land. Fact.

madonna is the most successful female in Germany.. 

it's just the media that's always been nasty

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Why paying so much attention to Germany? They've always been a Janet Jackson land. Fact.

Actually, no. Madonna is the most successful female artist on the German charts. That’s a fact  

How about criticizing those idiot journalists and not putting down a country?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, here is the unsettling truth about the German media, especially those so called critics/reviewers. They like to build you up, just to destroy you the next chance they get. (Ever heard of Ute Lemper? A great talent in musical theatre. The way she was treated in the early 90s was incredibly ugly. I think she even left Germany because of the hate she received). They think they have some power and therefore make use of it. Keep in mind that Germany is (or at least) was a country with very high standards in journalism. Especially after the 3rd Reich, when the media was nothing more than a propanda tool for the Nazis. Today of course it is all about access. And I doubt Madonna gave them any. This rejection turns most of them into self righteous cunts. Never had a creative moment of their own, yet they believe they have a right to judge the output of more creative people. 

In addition to that, writing negative shit will result in lots of clicks and comments. It brings in the haters and the defenders. Der Spiegel (the online edition) has become notorious for click bait articles. Many of them being badly researched or intentionally offensive. Makes one wonder if those articles are actually written by journalists or external writers/interns. It's a shame actually for possibly the most respected weekly publication in Germany. The writer won't care (zhe same one who wrote that "career ending" article about Eurovision), it will give him probably the most read, most commented and most send article of the day. In the end another Z-lister using Madonna for his personal gain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

But even her old fans will not be able to fool her with an X for a U: in the meantime, they would probably rather prefer the quiet singer / songwriter album. But Madonna's play was never the authentic, but always the artificial character veneer. She can not do anything else. She can not think of music or the blues, she can not give a solo evening on the piano, and there is no gospel concert in the church. Her techniques were always just the cultural imperialist of Western pop, her performative capital was always her body as well - both are now exhausted.

So Madonna dances lonely from the ruins of her throne her gloomy ballet. And the young princesses celebrate in the former colonies. For them, this fairytale has a happy ending. For the queen? Who knows.

 

The Speigel reviewer word choice is just beyond dramatic and pretentious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kilt said:

But even her old fans will not be able to fool her with an X for a U: in the meantime, they would probably rather prefer the quiet singer / songwriter album. But Madonna's play was never the authentic, but always the artificial character veneer. She can not do anything else. She can not think of music or the blues, she can not give a solo evening on the piano, and there is no gospel concert in the church. Her techniques were always just the cultural imperialist of Western pop, her performative capital was always her body as well - both are now exhausted.

So Madonna dances lonely from the ruins of her throne her gloomy ballet. And the young princesses celebrate in the former colonies. For them, this fairytale has a happy ending. For the queen? Who knows.

 

The Speigel reviewer word choice is just beyond dramatic and pretentious. 

This review is vicious shit! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kilt said:

But even her old fans will not be able to fool her with an X for a U: in the meantime, they would probably rather prefer the quiet singer / songwriter album. But Madonna's play was never the authentic, but always the artificial character veneer. She can not do anything else. She can not think of music or the blues, she can not give a solo evening on the piano, and there is no gospel concert in the church. Her techniques were always just the cultural imperialist of Western pop, her performative capital was always her body as well - both are now exhausted.

So Madonna dances lonely from the ruins of her throne her gloomy ballet. And the young princesses celebrate in the former colonies. For them, this fairytale has a happy ending. For the queen? Who knows.

 

The Speigel reviewer word choice is just beyond dramatic and pretentious. 

Dreadful! Wtf is up with the German press?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Actually, no. Madonna is the most successful female artist on the German charts. That’s a fact  

How about criticizing those idiot journalists and not putting down a country?

True. Germany loves Madonna. Even those who hate to admit it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kilt said:

But even her old fans will not be able to fool her with an X for a U: in the meantime, they would probably rather prefer the quiet singer / songwriter album. But Madonna's play was never the authentic, but always the artificial character veneer. She can not do anything else. She can not think of music or the blues, she can not give a solo evening on the piano, and there is no gospel concert in the church. Her techniques were always just the cultural imperialist of Western pop, her performative capital was always her body as well - both are now exhausted.

So Madonna dances lonely from the ruins of her throne her gloomy ballet. And the young princesses celebrate in the former colonies. For them, this fairytale has a happy ending. For the queen? Who knows.

 

The Speigel reviewer word choice is just beyond dramatic and pretentious. 

Germany loves Cuntga. There you go.

Absolutely disgusting and unbiased. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is it so hard for people to stop with those fucking generalizations? Germany this, Germany that. A few moronic journalists spewe their verbal diarrhea. No more, no less. Germany’s poor taste? Really? 

Nobody says the UK hates Madonna when idiot Pierce Morgan goes in his usual Madonna rants, or the US hates M when one of those hags on The View puts her down. So calm your tits and direct your anger at those that earned it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wunderkind said:

Why is it so hard for people to stop with those fucking generalizations? Germany this, Germany that. A few moronic journalists spewe their verbal diarrhea. No more, no less. Germany’s poor taste? Really? 

Nobody says the UK hates Madonna when idiot Pierce Morgan goes in his usual Madonna rants, or the US hates M when one of those hags on The View puts her down. So calm your tits and direct your anger at those that earned it. 

I felt the same when Western media depicted all Serbian people as genocidal lunatics who like to drink rakija and party all night long listening to the sound of turbo folk music. So, I agree with you, journalists are the problem not the country. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, side_streets said:

I felt the same when Western media depicted all Serbian people as genocidal lunatics who like to drink rakija and party all night long listening to the sound of turbo folk music. So, I agree with you, journalists are the problem not the country. 

And here I am, a Serb who was born in Germany, who eventually got used to the hate both countries receive. :lol:

That said, I‘m sure no member on here is actually hating on any country per se and the generalisations are done in jest. But yes, the German media has been nasty to Madonna for a long time now. They loved her during ROL and Confessions, but that’s about it. They would love her again if she would start singing Power of Goodbye‘s again but that’s not going to happen.

Let’s focus more on the positive reviews and skip all reviews which don’t even the discuss the songs. No clicks for them!

Link to post
Share on other sites

That Spiegel cunt really needs to go back to journalism school. His "article" was unbearable to read (content and style). It is so weird, Dark Ballet is my favorite song so far and this guy is tearing M a new one for Dark Ballet. Unbelievable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Well, here is the unsettling truth about the German media, especially those so called critics/reviewers. They like to build you up, just to destroy you the next chance they get. (Ever heard of Ute Lemper? A great talent in musical theatre. The way she was treated in the early 90s was incredibly ugly. I think she even left Germany because of the hate she received). They think they have some power and therefore make use of it. Keep in mind that Germany is (or at least) was a country with very high standards in journalism. Especially after the 3rd Reich, when the media was nothing more than a propanda tool for the Nazis. Today of course it is all about access. And I doubt Madonna gave them any. This rejection turns most of them into self righteous cunts. Never had a creative moment of their own, yet they believe they have a right to judge the output of more creative people. 

In addition to that, writing negative shit will result in lots of clicks and comments. It brings in the haters and the defenders. Der Spiegel (the online edition) has become notorious for click bait articles. Many of them being badly researched or intentionally offensive. Makes one wonder if those articles are actually written by journalists or external writers/interns. It's a shame actually for possibly the most respected weekly publication in Germany. The writer won't care (zhe same one who wrote that "career ending" article about Eurovision), it will give him probably the most read, most commented and most send article of the day. In the end another Z-lister using Madonna for his personal gain. 

 

That's very interesting. Thank you for elaborating on that. And giving us your perspective as someone who lives there

I had noticed this attitude towards her from 85% of articles in the German press for over a decade now. You can occasionally read dismissive and dumb pieces in the Italian press or the anglophone press but it's been really striking me how virtually almost everything they write about her in Germany has a negative connotation to it and for such a long time

I think her last moment of universal praise and love in Germany was at about DWT/Music era times? She guested on Wetten Does what three or four times over the decades? Remember when she visited Auschwitz in the summer of 2001. She was everywhere in the media that summer

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kilt said:

Let's cleanse this negativity with some Maluma

 

 

Maluma is sweet and has zero attitude

On top of obviously being a handsome young man. I can totally see why Madonna felt safe allowing him into her world

He's also been very grateful so far. Unlike some of Madonna's previous squeak voiced, local, duet collaborators who will not be named and who probably thought they were doing her a favour or something

Funny how she continued filling arenas and stadiums after that record while the young hot things only wish to have achieved in their 30s what she's continued to amass in terms of public interest well into her 50s

Link to post
Share on other sites

She usually gets a great review from People and USA Today (Elyssa Gardener). Not sure if either counts for Metacritic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Plaything said:

And here I am, a Serb who was born in Germany, who eventually got used to the hate both countries receive. :lol:

That said, I‘m sure no member on here is actually hating on any country per se and the generalisations are done in jest. But yes, the German media has been nasty to Madonna for a long time now. They loved her during ROL and Confessions, but that’s about it. They would love her again if she would start singing Power of Goodbye‘s again but that’s not going to happen.

On a funny side note, I was just watching Sting perform on German late night TV (Markus Lanz), singing a dreary guitar version of his good ol' 1982 hit (while clearly struggling to keep longer notes), and he's receiving a standing ovation. Oh the irony.

No offense to Sting as he's obviously a talented artist who built up a big career too, but I was literally thinking of exactly what you said. 

Problem is, as others have already said, M is still moving along, creating new music, the music she wants to do - and giving zero fucks while at that. The more time goes by, I really think that's the crucial reason why she's receiving a very different treatment in the press compared to other big music artists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...