MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

2 minutes ago, Gabriel Ciccone said:

I notice many reviews can't describe some songs, like Faz Gostoso. One said it's samba, Anitta told it was a funk.

It’s even funnier with Crazy.  We’ve seen that one referred to as upbeat, trap, a mid tempo soul ballad, and trip hop.

It’s interesting how little self awareness so many people have.  To even write the sentence “Although minimally talented, she rose to the top with sheer ambition and by picking the right collaborators” seems like the most tired tact a critic could take, and frankly it’s been tired for twenty five years.  And yet they continue to write it, feeling the need to somehow explain their love of her music.  So damn odd.  I mean David Bowie couldn’t technically sing well (I LOVE him btw) yet is considered a vocal genius.  Sexist much?

9 minutes ago, Shane said:

It’s interesting how little self awareness so many people have.  To even write the sentence “Although minimally talented, she rose to the top with sheer ambition and by picking the right collaborators” seems like the most tired tact a critic could take, and frankly it’s been tired for twenty five years.  And yet they continue to write it, feeling the need to somehow explain their love of her music.  So damn odd.  I mean David Bowie couldn’t technically sing well (I LOVE him btw) yet is considered a vocal genius.  Sexist much?

Love/loved him too, and I agree. The usual shitty double-standards.

Gonna write it again: Madonna should be sanctified, not defecated upon. Amen.

19 minutes ago, Shane said:

It’s even funnier with Crazy.  We’ve seen that one referred to as upbeat, trap, a mid tempo soul ballad, and trip hop.

One of them called Crave country-influenced lol

It's shocking to me how poorly these reviews (whether they're positive or mixed) are written. Some of the British ones read like they were written in a foreign language and then translated into English or something. 

3 minutes ago, Cesky said:

One of them called Crave country-influenced lol

It's shocking to me how poorly these reviews (whether they're positive or mixed) are written. Some of the British ones read like they were written in a foreign language and then translated into English or something. 

They probably heard the album, had a few drinks forgot about it and typenot up late 🤣

29 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Also, why has a "critical reception" subcategory not been added to Madame X's Wikipedia page yet?

Usually that comes with the Metacritic score

23 minutes ago, Shane said:

O'h, the back handed compliments, the way they love to say she only made it through ambition and picking collaborators - makes my blood boil.  Same with saying fans love her because she is a "great business women "  Infuriates me no end.   Madonna has ALWAYS been a great talent.  She has great musicality and talent.  I did not follow Madonna and stay a fan of hers since 1984 because she had limited talent.  Would not waste my time.  Her music, videos, performances are music heaven and she is insanely talented. 

1 minute ago, Jazzy Jan said:

O'h, the back handed compliments, the way they love to say she only made it through ambition and picking collaborators - makes my blood boil.  Same with saying fans love her because she is a "great business women "  Infuriates me no end.   Madonna has ALWAYS been a great talent.  She has great musicality and talent.  I did not follow Madonna and stay a fan of hers since 1984 because she had limited talent.  Would not waste my time.  Her music, videos, performances are music heaven and she is insanely talented. 

Amen!  I used to say in disgust “yes I love her and buy her music because she is such a great businesswoman.”  :lmao:

16 minutes ago, Shane said:

Amen!  I used to say in disgust “yes I love her and buy her music because she is such a great businesswoman.”  :lmao:

Me too! She is the best singer among businesswomen! ❤️

I think it does genuinely confuse some reviewers that she's still recording music at  60 when she's already so rich and successful. She must have a passion for it.  Like most of her children even play instruments and she says she has a very musical household.  I think some people think she just walks into a studio every four years or so throws down some vocals and doesn't have much involvement in the process

19 minutes ago, luizotaviobarros said:

It’s funny how they’re having trouble pinning some of the songs down to specific genres. Which is a good sign, I think. We must be in for a unique listening experience 

This. Especially with Medellín. 💗

4 hours ago, Shane said:

Like there's "shame" showing unapologetic love to a "pop star" so a certain amount of nitpicking must take place......even if it's obvious the person is grasping at straws or playing to a tired, disproven (time and time again) narrative that she's "not that talented". Someone around here made the comparison to Hillary Clinton recently and I think that's a great way to put it tqqh. Not saying everything Madonna has done is perfect but there are certain untrue narratives that have become "fact" over the years in regard to her and people simply believe them without even questioning it or really even fully understanding why. 

I LOVE Bowie and his voice but to call him a vocal genius is a huge stretch.....it's certainly a unique and distinctive voice but Sinatra he's not.....same can be said of Jagger, Dylan and so many others that seem to be unquestionably "worshipped". Men singing "rock" music will always get a pass though for their voices because "they rock". I've always said Madonna is a rock star that just happens to do "pop songs" and in my opinion that's where people tend to go wrong in their approach to her. They always like to compare her with other "divas" that are all about "the voice" or basic pop girls that want to please their audience and just be "sexy" and sing cute little pop ditties and Madonna has NEVER been about any of that. Preaching to the choir here but Madonna doesn't do what she does because she thinks she's an amazing singer or because she thinks she's sooooo hot and sexy, she does it so she can have a huge platform to say what she wants to say. Perhaps if people could grasp that, their whole approach to reviewing her would be different. 

6 hours ago, Gabriel Ciccone said:

I notice many reviews can't describe some songs, like Faz Gostoso. One said it's samba, Anitta told it was a funk.

It is probably brasilian funk inspired as Anitta originally is a funk singer and the original song is a funk. People are deaf because samba (which has many different variations) has absolutely nothing to do with Brazilian funk

7 hours ago, Gabriel Ciccone said:

The only realistic description was made by The Guardian's reviewer, who described it as "somewhere between baile funk and Angolan kuduro"

The Daily Star published a generally positive track-by-track review:

Medellín (with Maluma)
Medellín's psychedelic groove works great as an introduction to what's to come. Strap in... 8/10

Dark Ballet
Madonna's very own Bohemian Rhapsody. A mad, brilliant epic which veers from dubstep to classical. 9/10

God Control
A total pop banger, it's essentially a sequel to her classic hit Vogue. 10/10

Future (with Quavo)
A weird choice to perform at Eurovision, Future is easily the worst song. The beat goes nowhere and Migos rapper Quavo just sounds bored. 4/10

Batuka
Her most convincing hip-hop groove. At 61, she's still learning new moves. 9/10

Killers Who Are Partying
The most controversial song, she states "I'll be..." Africa, Islam, poor and Israel. It'll need a few plays to work out what the song's message really is... Expect a social media war. 7/10

Crave (with Swae Lee)
Madonna and Swae Lee flirt over a heartfelt acoustic backdrop. 7/10

Crazy
Could be by anyone. A forgettable filler track. 5/10

Come Alive
A similar drum attack to Batuka, it's Madonna in attack mode as she snarls: "Who are you talking to?" It turns into a dreamy waltz to stay alive. 8/10

Extreme Occident
Crashing pianos, Indian percussion and rare drama as Madonna sings about doubting herself. 8/10

Faz Gostoso (feat. Anitta)
An epic trance tune which features some hypnotic chanting. 9/10

Bitch I'm Loca (feat. Maluma)
Madonna and Maluma trade lines over a hypnotic groove. 8/10

I Don't Search I Find
Along with God Control, the album's other slice of perfect vintage Madonna disco. 10/10

Looking for Mercy
Another soaring ballad but it's more basic than Crave and goes on too long. 6/10

I Rise
A stadium ballad, you can almost smell the smoke machines. 7/10

10 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Amen

It really baffles me that after 36 years some idiots are still writing up that nonsense. When in fact to her fans she was a mega talent from day one. Marketing or self marketing do not robotic ally and automatically guarantee anyone to have the dedicated and loyal following Madonna has garnered, expanded and maintained over the course of almost four decades. It's just utter stupidity

When you look at her first major transition alone, from her first two albums to her third studio album with accompanying first worldwide stadium tour it is obvious how much talent she has as a singer, dancer, visual artist, songwriter and the knack for penning perfect pop hooks as a co-producer on her entire discography, as attested by so many industry professionals

Then again some moronic, dull and pretentious Italian journalists still have the audacity of pretending Madonna is not her birth name but a stage name for self-aggrandizing purposes

13 minutes ago, Samo said:

Rolling Stone

But its an absurd review! The fuckers raved about the album then gave it 3.

4 minutes ago, elijah said:

But its an absurd review! The fuckers raved about the album then gave it 3.

I like the album, but it's Madonna. 😂

10 minutes ago, elijah said:

https://www.haz.de/Nachrichten/Kultur/Uebersicht/Madame-X-besser-als-nix-Alles-ueber-das-neue-Album-von-Madonna2

Horrible German review. saying she is no longer relevant. Hope a German member would translate it... Or not.

using google translate, I dont think it's a horrible review.. but they spent half of it complaining about Eurovision and autotune.