MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
19 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Yes. That's the main reason she gets so much hate. She is not following the model that literally every one of her contemporaries followed. It makes her an easy target.

Which makes no sense at all. You'd think people would respect a person (especially a woman) who keeps taking punches and continues to be at the top of her game.  We just live in a society where people love to knock people down and since she doesn't stop, people keep knocking.  I'm just happy she doesn't care! 

9 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

A three star review is not good, especially from Rolling Stone.  Her worst score ever.

A 2 or a 1 star score is bad, not a 3 star.

These were RS scores on her previous albums, as shared by @Shaun earlier in the thread.

Debut: no star rating

LAV: 3.5

TB: no star rating

LAP: 3.5

E: 4

BS: 3.5

ROL: 4

Music: 4

AL: 3

Confessions: 3.5

HC: 4

MDNA: 3.5

RH: 3.5

MX: 3

So no, not her worst score ever from RS. They also gave AL a 3 star, and it's a brilliant work of art. So to be honest, after reading their basic review which barely talks about the music, I couldn't care less what score RS gives.

I know they've reviewed her first album and True Blue.  I think her first was 3-3.5 stars. 

4 minutes ago, Amelia said:

Which makes no sense at all. You'd think people would respect a person (especially a woman) who keeps taking punches and continues to be at the top of her game.  We just live in a society where people love to knock people down and since she doesn't stop, people keep knocking.  I'm just happy she doesn't care! 

She's the Hilary Clinton, people seem to hate her for really no reason at all

5 minutes ago, headonfire said:

These were RS scores on her previous albums, as shared by @Shaun earlier in the thread.

So no, not her worst score ever from RS. They also gave AL a 3 star, and it's a brilliant work of art. So to be honest, after reading their basic review which barely talks about the music, I couldn't care less what score RS gives.

A 3 star review is not good, it is a score of 60 out of 100.

37 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

I know they've reviewed her first album and True Blue.  I think her first was 3-3.5 stars. 

She's the Hilary Clinton, people seem to hate her for really no reason at all

Actually, there's a lot of reasons to hate Hillary, and I say this as a Democrat....

Madonna gets bashed so often now that it no longer upsets me, she's been getting RELENTLESSLY bashed by trolls on social media and the press non stop since 2008 or so...

I'd really  like this album to score between 75-85 on albumofthetyear.com

(website collects all the review scores from music publications and gives an average score)

60 is pretty low in my opinion and not a good review

Three stars to me means it’s an ok album - not bad but not great. 

0 stars - one of the worst ever

1 star - v. horrible

2 stars - bad 

3 stars - ok

4 stars - good-  v good 

5 stars - amazing. A future classic. 

No. RS reviews are categorized as follows:

5 stars - Classic

4 stars - Excellent

3 stars - Good

2 stars - Fair

1 star - Poor

That does sound a little better, but most people would see three out of five and think meh.  Strong reviews would really help.  Sometimes I will run across a good review of an artist I had not paid attention to in awhile and it motivates me to check out their new work.

1 hour ago, rocknrolla said:

That does sound a little better, but most people would see three out of five and think meh.  Strong reviews would really help.  Sometimes I will run across a good review of an artist I had not paid attention to in awhile and it motivates me to check out their new work.

Yeah I check out albums when they receive high scores. Think it helps too. 

Excellent reviews will come be coming in soon for Madame X.......

5 hours ago, headonfire said:

HC has more than Confessions and AL... LOL

5 hours ago, air1975 said:

Three stars to me means it’s an ok album - not bad but not great. 

0 stars - one of the worst ever

1 star - v. horrible

2 stars - bad 

3 stars - ok

4 stars - good-  v good 

5 stars - amazing. A future classic. 

This. I definitely wouldn’t consider 3 stars “bad”. It’s just OK.

People put too much importance on reviews. At the end of the day they are also merely just an opinion by someone. Okay, they are professionals so you might hope to expect a certain amount of skill and objectivity, BUT, it's an opinion nonetheless. I mostly read reviews to get some info on tracks before we get to hear them for ourselves. It's always nice when you can read glowing reviews and a project is a critical success, but good or bad reviews won't have any influence on my own opinion of an album!

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/madonna-madame-x/hnum/9154498

JPC is not a magazine but they are the biggest retailer hier in Germany and they reviewed the album very positive giving 5 stars to it. This will obviously change after the users add their own reviews but I think it is a very good start and gives a good impression of the album. They also guarantee to deliver the album on its release date (our label works with JPC and they are really reliable. I ordere my deluxe CD and double vinyl at Madonna Store though. I had forgotten JPC...unfortunately)

Edited by Geiger83

7 minutes ago, robster said:

People put too much importance on reviews. At the end of the day they are also merely just an opinion by someone. Okay, they are professionals so you might hope to expect a certain amount of skill and objectivity, BUT, it's an opinion nonetheless. I mostly read reviews to get some info on tracks before we get to hear them for ourselves. It's always nice when you can read glowing reviews and a project is a critical success, but good or bad reviews won't have any influence on my own opinion of an album!

You are absolutely right. One of my tasks in my job is to be in touch with journalists and provide them with all necessary info about our albums. What I see is that they have very different opinions and often their opinions are not decisive and don't define if an album is good or not at all. If they don't like an artist they will review their album bad just for the sake of it, even if the album is amazing. The contrary is also true. So I also never pay attention to reviews, just if I want some infos. But the point is that depending on the media (if it is an important newspaper for instance) a good review can in fact boost the album sales.

13 minutes ago, robster said:

People put too much importance on reviews. At the end of the day they are also merely just an opinion by someone. 

Exactly. I’ve read reviews of movies and expected to see masterpieces, but have been disappointed. It’s all subjective.

No worries from me whatsoever. Madame X is going to ROCK.

10 hours ago, bardo said:

but when you interview someone, you can record it and take it with you. i can't imagine listening to an album once in a crowed room full of people and then being told to write down what it sounded like and what i thought of it. music takes several listens to fully absorb, on headphone, on big speakers, reading the lyrics, etc. the problem is that these shouldn't be "reviews," they should be "previews." then the magazines should write up a proper review after the album is released. 

No. Those people are professionals. As a journalist you're used to write down whatever in all circumstances. It's not as if it was a party with people screaming. You have the song titles and you can make a list before entering the listening party and write down about any song during 4 minutes. There's no excuse. 

-I've been popular and unpopular successful and unsuccessful loved and loathed and I know how meaningless it all is. Therefore I feel free to take whatever risks I want.
-Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another. 
The list could go on and on. It’s the very essence of her philosophy! If Madonna sees things this way, shouldn’t we as her fans also move beyond the need for validation of what we enjoy? There have been so many times since I first heard of Madonna back in 1984 that the  general consensus was expressed via knee jerk criticism, dismissal, and moralistic subjectivity. It never made the music better or worse. Her albums have stood the test of time, and that says more than what any critic can deliver contemporaneously to the release of the album. Her entire back catalog has been revisited by critics and reviewed almost entirely differently and far more generously years later.
It does feel great when everyone is into Madonna, but that hasn’t been particularly consistent, and so I’m personally just focused on how the album rollout feels like M is keeping us on our toes, and hungry for more! And she is delivering too. ❤️

Edited by Herfaceremains

11 hours ago, Humberto77rj said:

I just read this from a Brazilian newspaper:

"The only issue with Madonna is that she dared to age in front of the world.

She did not die like Michael Jackson, or left the Spotlight to live only as a recording artist, not a touring one. She doesn't live solely by greatest hits like Cindy Lauper or Elton Jhon. She is living as a woman creating and making new music, wether you want it or not."

Seriously...Madame X NEEDS to come to Brazil/South America.

Where did you read that?...estou curioso😉

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I believe it wasn't until last week that you had come to love "Secret Garden"? :chuckle: :scared:

🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, the-queen said:

Exactly. I’ve read reviews of movies and expected to see masterpieces, but have been disappointed. It’s all subjective.

No worries from me whatsoever. Madame X is going to ROCK.

Exactly. I'll decide for myself because (imo)these reviewers can't be trusted. 

Anyone have any idea what the 3rd single is? I suppose it will be released around the time of album or shortly after?

2 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

Anyone have any idea what the 3rd single is? I suppose it will be released around the time of album or shortly after?

There seems to be no reliable information on this issue. A third single and some promo after the album release would be a good thing though. I think we will hear something "soon"