MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

14 hours ago, Kim said:

Good rating from Q, but disappointingly brief. I remember the full page reviews of old (and the great interviews!)

Same here.  

I loved detailed,  unbiased and thoughtful long reviews.  We need those reviews to come back.   Plus great interviews.  I swear to God if I have to read one more interview with Madonna where they either sympathise with her for being a hard working mother and career woman and then talk about her children her ages,  I will scream.   

8 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

This was most likely written without listening to it. It's a collage of stuff and quotes any of is could've come up with and vague information.

more likely just the best they could do from a listening party. unfortunately, it's the only way to prevent leaks.

4 hours ago, Kilt said:

IMHO, half of MDNA aged badly, so im 100% sure that MX will be light years better than the 2012 album.

This

4 hours ago, bardo said:

more likely just the best they could do from a listening party. unfortunately, it's the only way to prevent leaks.

I don't agree. They're lazy journalists. I'm sure they were allowed to have pen and paper and write something about every song. A listening party shouldn't be different to an interview where you get answers and write them down!

8 hours ago, Kilt said:

IMHO, half of MDNA aged badly, so im 100% sure that MX will be light years better than the 2012 album.

Madame X is ahead of its time!!! That’s why we’re all taken aback a bit upon first listens. It’s almost like wtf is that?? But then we start to catch on, like ok, I see you!!! And then we’re obsessed! That happened to me with EVERY song so far, including Medellín and especially Future. 

The progression of the songs, the sound engendering, the production, all have super experimental qualities. Even M’s voice sounds almost like out of this world. Not really what we’re used to. But when it’s all put together, as weird as it sounds, the songs do come across like they're visiting us from the future. And we’ve only heard 4 songs! Lol 

I’m thrilled!!!! 

4 hours ago, the-queen said:

I am not reading any reviews. I will read them after I’ve actually listened to the album myself.

I would NEVER want some passive aggressive or a half ass review influence my first impression of the album!! So I’m with you on this all the way! 

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

I don't agree. They're lazy journalists. I'm sure they were allowed to have pen and paper and write something about every song. A listening party shouldn't be different to an interview where you get answers and write them down!

Same. Sounds like someone was too busy socializing and forgot to take notes, then compiled all available tidbits into a review, ta-dah!

2 hours ago, Katypatra said:

I would NEVER want some passive aggressive or a half ass review influence my first impression of the album!! So I’m with you on this all the way! 

Yep. It’s all irrelevant at this stage as opinions on music are very subjective. I did see a reviewer trash AL...and I love AL. So why should I put any weight on what they say about MX? 

9 hours ago, the-queen said:

I am not reading any reviews. I will read them after I’ve actually listened to the album myself.

For me, only one review matters..... mine.  Haha

2 minutes ago, sul8323 said:

For me, only one review matters..... mine.  Haha

Lol.. you're not alone, I have the same approach. 🙂

17 minutes ago, acko said:

I'm confused... Why the negativity? 

Reviews don't comment properly on songs. The info is the same that we already got regarding songs still unknown.

Guys, calm down. Yes, you know the details that RS and Q Magazine revealed on their reviews, but the GP who read them probably don't even know about Madonna releasing an album. 

When you write for newspapers and magazines you need to connect with your readers and RS and Q Magazine did a good job.

Not everybody is a fan, people don't even know that Medellín was the first single and that there's a song called Dark Ballet coming out. 

Relax.

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

Reviews don't comment properly on songs. The info is the same that we already got regarding songs still unknown.

We’re gonna get detailed reviews this week! Trust! 

2 minutes ago, Crux said:

The more detailed reviews should start pouring in on the 4th of June.  Can't wait.

Does it mean RS and Q will re-review the album? (In depth way).

nonetheless, can't hardly wait for MX to unveil! Let the countdown begins.... 

I believe it is highly likely we will get reviews at some point from:

The Guardian

The Telegraph

The Sun

Mojo

Billboard

People

Entertainment Weekly

Spin

Alternative Press

New York Times

Los Angeles Times

Boston Globe

Chicago Tribune

Pitchfork

Slant

Consequence of Sound

The AV Club

possibly there will be reviews from:

Time

NME (doesn’t this still exist?)

Uncut

Attitude

I am sure I missed some.

37 minutes ago, Shane said:

NME (doesn’t this still exist?)

They are really active on this era! Many articles about Medellín, Crave, even when she announced the theater tour they made a ranking of 10 songs that they want to hear on this tour.

13 hours ago, karbatal said:

but when you interview someone, you can record it and take it with you. i can't imagine listening to an album once in a crowed room full of people and then being told to write down what it sounded like and what i thought of it. music takes several listens to fully absorb, on headphone, on big speakers, reading the lyrics, etc. the problem is that these shouldn't be "reviews," they should be "previews." then the magazines should write up a proper review after the album is released. 

Edited by bardo

These reviews are generous if they listen once imo. Madonna's music has layers the only album I adored instantly was COAD. Every time I hear a new one I'm like "I waited years for this" then the second listen I'm like OMG THIS IS AMAZING TAKE ME QUEEN. 

But yeah, I'm waiting for the detailed track by track ones. Tuesday the embargo ends right? 

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks
1 hour ago, bardo said:

but when you interview someone, you can record it and take it with you. i can't imagine listening to an album once in a crowed room full of people and then being told to write down what it sounded like and what i thought of it. music takes several listens to fully absorb, on headphone, on big speakers, reading the lyrics, etc. the problem is that these shouldn't be "reviews," they should be "previews." then the magazines should write up a proper review after the album is released. 

I have to agree with this.  As a Madonna fan, I know one listen isn't enough for me to grasp everything.  It takes several listens.  Some of these people reviewing may not even be a fan, so might be looking to nitpick right from the get-go.  

I think we all pretty much agree, it took us a few listens to get into what was already released so far. 

I just read this from a Brazilian newspaper:

"The only issue with Madonna is that she dared to age in front of the world.

She did not die like Michael Jackson, or left the Spotlight to live only as a recording artist, not a touring one. She doesn't live solely by greatest hits like Cindy Lauper or Elton Jhon. She is living as a woman creating and making new music, wether you want it or not."

Seriously...Madame X NEEDS to come to Brazil/South America.

17 minutes ago, Humberto77rj said:

I just read this from a Brazilian newspaper:

She did not die like Michael Jackson, or left the Spotlight to live only as a recording artist, not a touring one. She doesn't live solely by greatest hits like Cindy Lauper or Elton Jhon. She is living as a woman creating and making new music, wether you want it or not."

Seriously...Madame X NEEDS to come to Brazil/South America.

Yes. That's the main reason she gets so much hate. She is not following the model that literally every one of her contemporaries followed. It makes her an easy target.

31 minutes ago, Humberto77rj said:

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Thank you for sharing!