MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

3 hours ago, luluthecat said:

MDNA got 4 stars?!?

I like MDNA a lot.  It has low single viability but as a straight through, start to finish listen, it is extremely cohesive and a journey.  I enjoy the mixing and feel that it is musically sound.  However, it is not a better record than Hard Candy or American Life which received lower reviews.  And rpeople are way too hard on Rebel Heart.  There are at least 12-15 absolute gems on the collection, and that is way more than most artists achieve on a single release.

4 hours ago, Fever said:

Agreed. They were usually spot on. The Ray of Light, Music, COADF reviews were all extremely in depth. Even Erotica, BS< AL and Evita were full pages in detail even if the star rating was low.

Q used to be my go to for every album I bought or was considering buying. I feel they became a bit misogynistic after a while - I noticed a trend in dismissing albums by Tori, Sinead etc with small paragraphs. 

4 hours ago, Kim said:

Good rating from Q, but disappointingly brief. I remember the full page reviews of old (and the great interviews!)

Magazines in general try to cram as much info into as few pages because advertising revenue is meager compared to pre www days.  As a fan she deserves more or at least as much as in the 90s but rising cost and declining revenue are factors. 

4 hours ago, luluthecat said:

MDNA got 4 stars?!?

I would agree with the 4 stars for MDNA. I know I am in the minority here, but MDNA is one of my top 5 Madge albums. Great hooks, and interesting sonically - I can listen to it start to finish. 

I know it would be nice if reviewers could at least briefly describe each song, or at least most of them. 

MDNA would have been dramatically improved simply with better, less processed vocals. 

2 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Not on the internet! 🙊

From what we've heard, reviews seem good and upwards but there's never been a bad Madonna album!

One day this will be appreciated!

I that day is already here for me.  I love the fourteen albums that she has already released (I count Breathless and always will) and I am already loving what I have of Madame X.

5 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

Reviewers arent really crazy about Killers.

Not to worry.  She always insists on including a track or two that, were she to exclude, would probably result in greater critical acclaim.  This time around those might be Killers Who Are Partying and Bitch I’m Loca.

Plus we only have two reviews so far, so other critics might like those, and they could become fan favorites.

17 minutes ago, Shane said:

Not to worry.  She always insists on including a track or two that, were she to exclude, would probably result in greater critical acclaim.  This time around those might be Killers Who Are Partying and Bitch I’m Loca.

Plus we only have two reviews so far, so other critics might like those, and they could become fan favorites.

The reviewer from Alternative Press Mag gave Killers 8/10. So at least one reviewer so far likes it quite a bit.

53 minutes ago, air1975 said:

I would agree with the 4 stars for MDNA. I know I am in the minority here, but MDNA is one of my top 5 Madge albums. Great hooks, and interesting sonically - I can listen to it start to finish. 

Well of course it’s all personal taste. Music is pretty hard to rate in general on 5 stars. Quite often I find songs don’t jump out at me until the 5 or 6 listen. 

Just now, OhFather said:

The reviewer from Alternative Press Mag gave Killers 8/10. So at least one reviewer so far likes it quite a bit.

Makes sense coming from an alternative/indie listener...some will find that kind of lyrical content to be absurd and some (I usually love when M gets political and literal) will love it. 

2 minutes ago, OhFather said:

2 minutes ago, OhFather said:

Oh, nice!  That reviewer also gave like five songs perfect 10s so I am anticipating that review very much, as well as MOJO’s.

8 minutes ago, Shane said:

Oh, nice!  That reviewer also gave like five songs perfect 10s so I am anticipating that review very much, as well as MOJO’s.

We know Dan Wooton loved it from the Sun. I'd expect a track by track review from him on Tuesday. He can't hold his own piss so expect him to gush about it when the embargo is lifted 

Guest eroticerotic
On 5/31/2019 at 9:04 AM, Carey said:

The media's constant (and pointless) referencing of her age is their way to holding some kind of perverse power over her. Like somehow by mentioning it they are belittling her or making her seem less viable.

I remember during a bedtime story review, I have the clipping somewhere, they closed the review by referencing her age and saying something like, at 36, while aging, albeit slowly before our eyes, she still has something to say.  Something in that tone. lol

4 minutes ago, eroticerotic said:

I remember during a bedtime story review, I have the clipping somewhere, they closed the review by referencing her age and saying something like, at 36, while aging, albeit slowly before our eyes, she still has something to say.  Something in that tone. lol

Begone she made being 40 acceptable. 

Guest eroticerotic
1 minute ago, stevo208 said:

Begone she made being 40 acceptable. 

I think so too! She made 40s look so effortlessly vibrant.

I would think the older you get the MORE you have to say. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, eroticerotic said:

I think so too! She made 40s look so effortlessly vibrant.

I would think the older you get the MORE you have to say. 🤷‍♂️

Absolutely, they were calling her Grandma at 33. She made 40 acceptable, she will make 60 acceptable and then 70, 80...

It's true, I hope society appreciates her for this

11 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

I do hate the fact that she helped extend the careers of pink, Gaga, etc when they should've been over by now

And they absolutely would have been over had it not been for Madonna cutting the blue print 

Guest eroticerotic
36 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

I do hate the fact that she helped extend the careers of pink, Gaga, etc when they should've been over by now

I know! People don’t realize that back in the day and before Madonna  pop stars had very fleeting careers. Most still do actually. But social media makes it seem otherwise. I think that’s what really aggravated people. That she def overcame that trend.

even though she paved a way for pop stars, I feel like they aren’t really utilizing that privilege. I don’t know. It’s like they are on autopilot while Madonna continues to carve out a colorful opportunity.

10 hours ago, Nikki said:

Q mag

4FA5B972-D0D5-496E-BF0C-D8BF3708621F.jpeg

This was most likely written without listening to it. It's a collage of stuff and quotes any of is could've come up with and vague information.

1 hour ago, eroticerotic said:

I know! People don’t realize that back in the day and before Madonna  pop stars had very fleeting careers. Most still do actually. But social media makes it seem otherwise. I think that’s what really aggravated people. That she def overcame that trend.

even though she paved a way for pop stars, I feel like they aren’t really utilizing that privilege. I don’t know. It’s like they are on autopilot while Madonna continues to carve out a colorful opportunity.

Exactly!  None of them do or say a damn thing of importance.  I always ask myself of each of them “where is her Live To Tell? Where is her Erotica?”  None have delivered.

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

This was most likely written without listening to it. It's a collage of stuff and quotes any of is could've come up with and vague information.

I thought of that to. Its literally everything we already knew or has been said by others. Save some small things. I mean Ill still take a 4/5 haha

It’s kinda like she maybe listened to it, liked it, but couldn’t remember it when she came round to write the review. :chuckle:So she just repeated the tracks and sections (dark ballet spoken bit) that we’ve already heard.

anyway it’s a promising review. 

35 minutes ago, Mensch said:

759E178E-8F90-44E1-89CE-771EEC0EBA79.jpeg

It’s a Turkish art supplement mag for a newspaper. The title says ‘Madonna continues to challenge.’ 

11 hours ago, Ray Finkle said:

Madonna, 61, is always ready for bravado ! Unlike the [French] rap duet NTM or The Stranglers, gentrified and not that punk anymore, or the now sober and mellowed Marylin Manson. 36 years after her infamous VMAs performance of "Like a Virgin", the Material Girl, queen of the box office with more than 300 million records sold, is still a provocation boss. For her 14th album, Madame X, she's alternately blonde, brunette, gay, straight, trans. "La Madone" [that's her most common nickname in France], is "a secret agent, travelling around the world, changing identities, fighting for freedom, bringing light to dark places". If the looks reflect her early carrer - fishnets, horsewhip, religious iconography, Marlene Dietrich tribute - the sound of the new 15 tracks reminds us more of the best moments from the Ray of Light to American Life era. Obviously, the sexagenerian chose to work with the rising international newbies (Colombian rapper Maluma, French producer Mirwais, Brazilian singer Anitta, American rapper Quavo...). A latin and reggaeton sounding new album, born in Portugal, where Madonna 's been living since Trump's election. You can't silence Queen M. And that's for the best.

Thanks for this!

Thought it was very interesting how the reviewer commented the album reminds of the best moments between ROL and AL. 

8 hours ago, Kilt said:

I know, right?

And deservedly so. Mdna was highly acclaimed upon release and was deemed a real return to form as a proper Madonna album after the awful hard candy . If Madame X is as good as mdna I’ll be very happy . 4 stars is great for MX . Q know their stuff . They rightly gave 5 stars to like a prayer too so I’d believe q over the Gaga Stan on rolling stone anyday 

Yeah the first reviews were praising MDNA.. when it was released, it became more lukewarm, but it wasn't dragged like it's a horrible album. it started going downhill after the second week drop in sales

1 hour ago, RyanAnth4 said:

If Madame X is as good as mdna I’ll be very happy . 

IMHO, half of MDNA aged badly, so im 100% sure that MX will be light years better than the 2012 album.